Breeze - Balcony Door Question

js

Hi.

If I wanted to keep my balcony door open for a bit, is there any way to do so?

I usually sail RCCL and NCL and they have slider doors but I see Breeze has an

actual door. We will be on Deck 9 in an 8N, extended aft balcony.

If you have kept your door open, how did you do it?

Thank you.

There is a door stop (wedge) that the steward uses when they service your room.

They leave it under the closet near the front door of the cabin.

It fits perfectly in the opening of the door.

Works like a charm.:D:D

Oh thank you! Because one thing I will not do is pack bungee cords but I will search out this wedge!!

Hi.

Thank you.

FYI. The balcony doors are not meant to be propped open. Doing so affects the a.c., not only in your cabin but in your neighbors' cabins as well. Do you leave windows or doors open at home when your a.c. is on?

FYI. The balcony doors are not meant to be propped open. Doing so affects the a.c., not only in your cabin but in your neighbors' cabins as well. Do you leave windows or doors open at home when your a.c. is on?

Yes, but don't tell my dh. He keeps the house way too cold for me and open the windows in my room when upstairs and he is downstairs but I do understand what you are talking about. Thank you for the information.

Thank you very much.

So, if I use the door stop wedge, the door will stay opened in a full open position or just

somewhat? Do you put it between the door and the door frame/wall.

Thank you so much!

I actually bought a door stop at the Dollar Tree before our last cruise to prop the balcony door open. It turned out that ours stayed open when we pushed it back all the way. Not sure if that was unusual or not. But, I kept the door wedges in case it is not that way on our upcoming cruise. They were 3 for $1. Worth it! As for keeping the door all the way opened, you could use it along the side instead of at the bottom of the door.

I, too, open windows when AC is on because I also have a hubby who loves it cold and I don't.

I actually bought a door stop at the Dollar Tree before our last cruise to prop the balcony door open. It turned out that ours stayed open when we pushed it back all the way. Not sure if that was unusual or not. But, I kept the door wedges in case it is not that way on our upcoming cruise. They were 3 for $1. Worth it! As for keeping the door all the way opened, you could use it along the side instead of at the bottom of the door.

I, too, open windows when AC is on because I also have a hubby who loves it cold and I don't.

This is perfect! Thank you. I will purchase the door stop wedge at the Dollar Store. I didn't even think of that and now I don't need to look and hope it is there when we sail.

THANK YOU!

Thank you very much.

So, if I use the door stop wedge, the door will stay opened in a full open position or just

somewhat? Do you put it between the door and the door frame/wall.

Thank you so much!

If you open the door fully, and then stick the wedge in (in the gap where the hinges are) it will keep it open fully.:D:D

Hi.

Thank you.

Yes, Breeze has an actual door with a door closure to ensure that the door is kept in the closed position AT ALL TIMES to ensure fire safety and to keep the HVAC system running effectively. Wedge the door open and you are interrupting the fire safety envelope of the ship. If a fire were to break out on another balcony your open door would act as a chimney to suck the fire back into the ship and put hundreds of lives at risk. The same thing happens to the HVAC where the hot air from outside is pulled into the vents and stops the circulation of cool air flowing from its source into each room.

But, by all means, go ahead and prop open your door and ruin the air comfort quality of your neighbors as well as putting them at risk...your ability to hear the ocean while you sleep is much more important.

And if you don't believe what I'm saying...just think of this. Are porthole windows operable?

EVERY cruise I have been on I have seen the balcony doors propped open all around me and my room has been plenty cold.

I am sure there have been times it did effect someone's cabin, but I have been on the old ships and the new ships and my rooms is always fine temperature wise.

We did a B2B on the Breeze in May. The first cruise was a balcony and we always kept the door closed. The cabin temp was fine during the day but we were too warm while sleeping every night, (that is very rare for me!)

We had a deluxe ocean view for the second leg and the cabin temperature was perfect all the time. We both slept great every night.

We booked the same type of cabins for a B2B on the Glory last year and had the same experience. Reading the previous posts makes me wonder if one of our neighbors had their door propped open which affected our sleeping comfort?

Having experienced that twice in a row has convinced me we should book ocean-view cabins next time.

EVERY cruise I have been on I have seen the balcony doors propped open all around me and my room has been plenty cold.

I am sure there have been times it did effect someone's cabin, but I have been on the old ships and the new ships and my rooms is always fine temperature wise.

So posting architectural facts on the CC website is another act of futility. There is a reason why the "reason" something is actively discouraged has a bases in fact..why put closures on the doors...an expensive extra. But then someone is much wiser and knows much better....so I'll bow to your experience and not to physics. Have a nice day.

Yes, Breeze has an actual door with a door closure to ensure that the door is kept in the closed position AT ALL TIMES to ensure fire safety and to keep the HVAC system running effectively. Wedge the door open and you are interrupting the fire safety envelope of the ship. If a fire were to break out on another balcony your open door would act as a chimney to suck the fire back into the ship and put hundreds of lives at risk. The same thing happens to the HVAC where the hot air from outside is pulled into the vents and stops the circulation of cool air flowing from its source into each room.

But, by all means, go ahead and prop open your door and ruin the air comfort quality of your neighbors as well as putting them at risk...your ability to hear the ocean while you sleep is much more important.

And if you don't believe what I'm saying...just think of this. Are porthole windows operable?

Cunard had ships that used to have port hole windows that opened. I remember them well from three Transatlantic crossings.

Cunard had ships that used to have port hole windows that opened. I remember them well from three Transatlantic crossings.

Most port hole wind rooms allow them to be opened (even on Carnival;)) That being said a port hole open and a balcony door are significantly different. In my cruising, I have found people's thoughts on room temps almost as subjective as food.

Edited by jimbo5544

Riddle me this, Batman-why are you opposed to a bungee cord?

Because I wouldn't go out and buy one just to prop open a door and I wouldn't use up luggage space for it. Don't want my door open that badly.

As others have said, it screws with the a/c. No one has mentioned the weight of those doors. In my opinion they are dangerous. Be VERY careful opening that door and the hallway cabin door at the same time. That balcony door will slam with such force it could take your arm off.

I will second the fact about propping your balcony and opening your room door. Crazy windy and can be dangerous. I do however prop my balcony door every cruise. Just a little to hear the water at night. I just use a flip flop wedged in the door jam. Keeps it open about 2".

As others have said, it screws with the a/c. No one has mentioned the weight of those doors. In my opinion they are dangerous. Be VERY careful opening that door and the hallway cabin door at the same time. That balcony door will slam with such force it could take your arm off.

This is very true! If you order room service or someone comes to the door, make sure your balcony door is closed or it will be like a wind tunnel in the room!

Also, as I said before, on the Conquest last time our balcony door was able to be pushed opened and it stayed that way. Not sure if this was a fluke with this balcony or all of them were like that. I also brought a digital thermometer with me that has a magnet and sticks to the cabin wall. Even when the door was opened, the temp stayed within a degree or two of where it was when the door was opened.

This is very true! If you order room service or someone comes to the door, make sure your balcony door is closed or it will be like a wind tunnel in the room!

Also, as I said before, on the Conquest last time our balcony door was able to be pushed opened and it stayed that way. Not sure if this was a fluke with this balcony or all of them were like that. I also brought a digital thermometer with me that has a magnet and sticks to the cabin wall. Even when the door was opened, the temp stayed within a degree or two of where it was when the door was opened.

That makes perfect sense...the AC in your cabin is now searching for cool air to keep it cool and is stealing the air from the system that is trying to cool rooms down the line resulting in less cool air being available for others to enjoy.

I try to be very considerate of others however, if I pay the price for a balcony cabin and I want to prop my door open a tad every now and then, and that will enhance my vacation experience, then that is my prerogative. It is my room for the week and I will enjoy it. It does not sound as though anyone here is planning to prop open their door 24/7 to be malicious and stifle others from having air conditioning. If someone else props their door open whose business is it to complain about them doing that? Good grief! It is a cruise vacation for goodness sakes. Lighten up! Before anyone says it let me just say that, No I do not feel as though I deserve more comfortable of a vacation experience than anyone else because I buy balcony cabins. I do feel, however, that if I buy a balcony for a week then I will enjoy it thoroughly and if I want to prop open the door I will. I am sure those complaining never do ANYTHING that infringes upon others in any way, shape or form.

Edited by ZRC1MLC2