Volendam HH Cabin

JLT

The only available outside cabin on a cruise I would like to take on the Volendam is an HH fully obstructed view cabin. Can anyone tell me exactly what this means? Or direct me to a site that shows a picture of such a cabin. I am concerned about this because my cruise buddy is claustrophobic.

Thank you for your advice.

In general the obstructed outside cabins have a window where the view is blocked by either the superstructure of the ship or a lifeboat. The window does let light in, and quite often the cabins have a view of the walk around deck and the people walking by. The only downside is the lack of an ocean view.

Not sure about the Volendam but we were in HH's on Amsterdam and Rotterdam and the obstruction was the superstructure on the other side of the walking deck. If we looked right or left we could see water just not straight out. To us this was no an issue as we had enough light, but mostly because we were out and about most of the day anyhow.

Not sure about the Volendam but we were in HH's on Amsterdam and Rotterdam and the obstruction was the superstructure on the other side of the walking deck.

It will be the same on the Volendam; on all the S- and R-class ships, as a matter of fact.

It will not be obstructed by a lifeboat. That is the obstruction on the Vista/Signature class ships.

In most of the R-class HH cabins you can see water by looking hard left or hard right.

We have never had an HH (booked one once and was upgraded!) but this photo was taken standing outside an HH window. Looking straight out the window you would see only steel superstructure.

2j5z8t2.jpg

Some HH, such as 3300 and 3301 are deep in the "tunnel" around the front of the promenade and can see no water at all. Others such as 3425 and 3426 have stairs right up against the window which obstruct the view. (These are fire-escape stairs down from the MDR so you would not have people using them ordinarily.)

Edited by jtl513

Thank you so much for your replies. I am reassured about the HH cabin. I was thinking of the Maasdam, etc. At least we'll have some light and can always hope for an upgrade.

• 1 year later...
Thank you so much for your replies. I am reassured about the HH cabin. I was thinking of the Maasdam, etc. At least we'll have some light and can always hope for an upgrade.

The HHs on the Maasdam, an S class ship, are much the same.

Just don't book an inside and your buddy will be fine! If you book a GUAR you stand a good chance of an upgraded assignment.

The HHs on the Maasdam, an S class ship, are much the same.

Just don't book an inside and your buddy will be fine! If you book a GUAR you stand a good chance of an upgraded assignment.

Kind of you to try to help the OP, but this thread is from a year ago. Betting that ship has long since sailed.

Volendam 3367 Has anyone had any issues with this cabin? TIA
It's under a part of the galley, but cc member Vict0riann has reported that 3365 next door was "very quiet" so I would presume 3367 would be too.

Edited by jtl513

Once again, I feel compelled to warn other cruisers - DO NOT BOOK A CATEGORY HH, H or G Guarantee on the old HAL ships!!!! On the Volendam, you could end up with Cabin G2500 like we did. I PROMISE you, you will NOT like this cabin! It is WAY too small and is crammed up in the bow. You will feel every ripple in the waves. I became very sea sick in this cabin!

Once again, I feel compelled to warn other cruisers - DO NOT BOOK A CATEGORY HH, H or G Guarantee on the old HAL ships!!!! On the Volendam, you could end up with Cabin G2500 like we did. I PROMISE you, you will NOT like this cabin! It is WAY too small and is crammed up in the bow. You will feel every ripple in the waves. I became very sea sick in this cabin!

Thanks! I will mark don't upgrade, as I heard it can actually be a downgrade.