Freedom or Independence. Must decide

Cruised on freedom back before her dry dock. Loved the ship. However we are also looking at independence. I know they are sister ships and nearly all identical except for ports of call. But any thoughts on any major difference? Food better on one, livelier crowd on one. Etc. I have seen more reviews from people on freedom who are more of the "drink and party" crowd. Which is right up our ally. Haha. Thank you!!!

I think it depends upon whether you have kids with you. We had a great time on Independence in June, but my kids greatly missed the Freestyle coke machines, the 3D movies in the theater, and to a much lesser extent, the Dreamworks characters (particularly the Dreamworks parade).

Those are the major differences in offerings. The ships are, of course, virtually the same, and I didn't notice a difference in food or service.

Sailed both Indy and Freedom, both pre dry dock though. They are pretty much twins, Dreamworks characters are the only difference really.

I did like Freedom better though, not really sure why :confused::)

Cruised on freedom back before her dry dock. Loved the ship. However we are also looking at independence. I know they are sister ships and nearly all identical except for ports of call. But any thoughts on any major difference? Food better on one, livelier crowd on one. Etc. I have seen more reviews from people on freedom who are more of the "drink and party" crowd. Which is right up our ally. Haha. Thank you!!!

I'm off to read your replies for research purposes. I've been on Freedom twice, never Indy. The addition of Sabor to Freedom is great IMO. I also usually get the Freestyle drink cup. These are only factors, I'd consider both ships anytime.

Freedom has Dreamworks characters if that makes a difference.

Freedom has also been more recently updated.

I'm glad you brought that up, I wonder if that will continue or how long that will last under any current contract. Speaking specifically to the sailaway party, I was very dissapointed in the Dreamworks sailaway on Freedom (I ignored it on Allure) The sailaway's I have done on most other cruises was a party, where the one on Freedom was just another show, no audience participation, no party in that sense IMO.

Been on both. They are the exact same with the following exceptions:

1. No Coke freestyle machines on Indy. They are on the Freedom.

2. There is a killer magic show on the Freedom. I simply loved it. Cant think of the magician off the top of my head, but it really was amazing stuff. He has a contract to do one show a week on the Freedom. No magic show on the Indy.

3. Dreamworks characters on the Freedom. None on the Indy.

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

Been on both. They are the exact same with the following exceptions:

1. No Coke freestyle machines on Indy. They are on the Freedom.

2. There is a killer magic show on the Freedom. I simply loved it. Cant thing of the magician off the top of my head, but it really was amazing stuff. He has a contract to do one show a week on the Freedom. No magic show on the Indy.

3. Dreamworks characters on the Freedom. None on the Indy.

Drew Thomas.

I thought he was over hyped, but that's just me.

No insult to Drew Thomas, but I'd tend to agree. I enjoyed the show, but I wouldn't consider it a factor in choosing.

I thought he was over hyped, but that's just me.

Actually, I think his assistant is the real talent. We were seated once it the extreme end of the balcony section, so had a good "behind the scenes" view of the show.

Thanks for all the response. No kids here. So dream work characters isn't a big deal. We are both foodies and drinkers. Only real reason I'm leaning towards freedom is Coco cay. Love that little spot and the private cabanas

Here is a mid 50's view if needed. We have been on both ships. We don't use the flow rider, rock wall, or in line skating. That being said, there are no significant differences between the two.

You will have some that say one's crew is nicer that the other, one's food was better than the other. The fact of this matter is it will be kind of press your luck. You might have an outstanding crew on one or the other or the food might be better on one than the other. You will never know as you cannot be on both at the same time.

Look at which is easier for you to get to or which itinerary you like. Make your decision and don't rethink it, it will drive you nuts.

JMO

Tim