Cuba

I have heard many good things about Charleston over the years and on Seabourn. Yes, I am happy to add Charleston to my bucket list. Thank you for speaking out.

That leaves the rest of the whooppee cushion states, though. And their idiotic politicians and other bigots.

Happy sailing!

In the last five years, 1.3 million people have voted with their feet and moved to at least one of these "whoopeee cushion" states, which just happens to be "acquired along the way from France, Spain and Mexico". For the large part, they were fleeing other much more seemingly acceptable states for an unenlightened hell hole, stuffed to the gills with "idiotic politicians and other bigots".

Maybe they know something that people living 5,000 miles away don't? Maybe they actually used their own experience and didn't rely on the prejudices of a comedian masquerading as a news reporter? Maybe they looked past shallow litmus test positions and were surprised to find that the largest city in the state is led by a lesbian mayor. That the third largest has a lesbian sheriff. That the fourth largest elected its first gay state representative in 1991 -- decades before more "enlightened" states had gay representatives - and has a lesbian rep today. Maybe they were fleeing the persistent housing segregation that plagues our largest cities in the more "enlightened states" -- realizing that a piece of cloth means nothing compared to decades long blockage of "undesirables" by the oh so progressive.

I'm sorry -- I tried to keep my mouth shut, but the repeated hectoring here just got to be too much.

As Michael Winner used to say, "Calm dear, it's only a commercial".

Same for whooppee cushion comments from a lot closer than 5000 miles away.

Places with racist, sexist and other bigoted legislation won't make my bucket list.

For obvious reasons. Ok?

Happy sailing!

I reiterate my message as some of you seem to be able to accept Charleston and possibly South Carolina as not totally bigoted and racist but cannot get past the other "whoopee cushion states".

All of the people in the other states do not represent or support what is sometimes unfortunately used by the media as fodder to make the entire state appear as a bunch of bigoted rednecks.

I agree Roy Moore( Supreme Court of Alabama) does make us look like the most ignorant, right wing, knee jerk , conservative "Christians" if you only "judge" the entire state by what one idiot spouts off! But I assure you he is despised by every person that I know and many I don't "know". But he was re-elected so I guess there are enough people that think his "Christian" views are the correct Biblical views.

I threatened to move out of the state when he was re-elected but then if you look hard enough at other places it would be difficult to find the perfect utopia of no prejudices concerning sexual orientation, race, etc. Many of the so called "liberal" states still have deep pockets of bias or at least some of their politicians represent that view. No place is devoid of personal prejudices, meanness, or unjust acts toward their fellow man. We might as well try to start where we are with our own hearts and consciences and work toward looking for more tolerance, understanding, and acceptance of diversity. And that could start by not labeling any state( which would represent all of its people) as a "whoopee cushion state". BTW our governor was one of the first to order the Confederate Battle flag removed from the Capitol. But then I didn't vote for him--he was too conservative but he isn't the worst!

Enuff ! I just don't like total condemnation of a group by anyone who feels morally superior when they "ain't been there or done that". And they certainly don't know everyone who lives in the area they are judging!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well this thread has certainly taken a turn to the derp side. Ah well, got to love the internet.

Correct you are. Back to Cuba! After all, we all have our prejudices. I certainly will not go to or spend my money in certain locales.:eek:

It would be great to see Cuba before McDonalds & Target takes over. Back in the early 80's I went to China and it was like the 1930's in Shanghai. Being in hotels that were closed up for years was quite an experience. So to see Cuba before it changes too much would be great. I wish they had cruises from NYC like they did years ago..7 days w/ 4 days in Havana docked.

It cracks me up this Fathom idea.....its business & I'm sure there are enough travelers willing to pay a premium to see the country before it turns into another Jamaica. Besides anyone that wants a taste of Cuba just has to go to Miami.

• 3 weeks later...