A couple of questions....

KAR3600

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I have a couple questions...

1. Why pre-pay gratuity? or add money to ship board account?

2. I wanted to book and excursion but it was all booked, I added it to my wish list...what does adding it to the wish list do??

Thank you!

2. I wanted to book and excursion but it was all booked, I added it to my wish list...what does adding it to the wish list do??

Thank you!

We never pre pay anything. Some like to pay ahead to get a head start on paying bills.

I would rather everything gets charged to my onboard account so that OBC can be used. ;)

Wish lists just keeps it where you can find them easier when you return.

Like favorites.

Thank you!

1. For some people it's easier to budget this way.

2. Maybe the cruise line will request another bus, or add another time slot?

Lots of people prefer to pay as much of their onboard account before the cruise as possible. It is up to each individual to decide what is best for them.

Wish list only makes it easier to find the tour if you are looking for it later. Did you mean "Wait List"? This is kept in case someone on the tour cancels it. The first person on the wait list will then get on the tour.

Perhaps someone has the Princess Visa card which gives you extra points for Princess purchases. I'm fairly close on my own Princess Visa to the next OBC (onboard credit) reward, so I may pre-pay the gratuity and some other expenses in advance, thereby getting me to the next OBC level quicker, which I can then use on the same cruise.

Of course, you get the points either way, but I'm just saying some people might want to use the credit quicker and not wait until the next cruise.

Or maybe they just want to budget and have everything paid before they go.

Thank you!

I personally am thrilled the option to prepay the gratuities is available now, as I just considered that as part of the cost of the fare to cruise.

Now doing that leaves more OBC for more glasses of wine :D

Edited by greenie082756

We never pre pay anything. Some like to pay ahead to get a head start on paying bills.

I would rather everything gets charged to my onboard account so that OBC can be used. ;)

Wish lists just keeps it where you can find them easier when you return.

Like favorites.

Great reply and exactly what I would have said. :)

Just want to emphasize the Wish List is not a Wait List.

LuLu

Thank you!

It insures you'll have a spot. Some excursions sell out early.

You can cancel up to the day before the tour without a charge.

I once had to cancel the day of a tour. I got lucky. It was popular tour, and the excursion desk was able to sell my ticket.

If that's the case why not just waitlist the excursion? :confused:

I don't think that is correct.

Wish list does not do anything but book mark it.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I once had to cancel the day of a tour. I got lucky. It was popular tour, and the excursion desk was able to sell my ticket.

Colo cruiser is correct. Putting an excursion into your wish list does nothing as far as getting on that excursion is concerned. You want to get on the wait list for that excursion.

If enough people get on the wait list they may add another bus -or two.

Leaving on your wish list won't do that.

Agree the OP should get on the wait list for the excursion.

It is not uncommon for previously booked excursions to be cancelled.

I will be taking a cruise in a few months and when we booked the cruise, I booked our excursions. Now, with things getting closer, and deciding that maybe we'll do a port by ourselves instead of with the ship, I'll be cancelling one or two of those bookings, freeing them up for the next person the wait list.

Thank you all for your responses! I do not have a Princess credit card so paying in advance is not an issue. I appreciate all the information!

Apparently, I was too late for the "wait list" its already closed...my only option was "wish list" I'm hoping for a cabana at Margaretville, but I doubt they have more inventory than listed on the Princess web site.

Putting a sold out tour on your wish list does NOT insure you a spot. In fact if a tour is sold out, nothing can guarantee you a spot.

Apparently, I was too late for the "wait list" its already closed...my only option was "wish list" I'm hoping for a cabana at Margaretville, but I doubt they have more inventory than listed on the Princess web site.

When you board go to the shore excursion desk even if the tour is sold out.

a) If the desk is open, tell them you want to be on the wait list.

b) If the desk is closed, find the form to sign up for the excursion even if it is marked sold out. Write on the form you want to be on the wait list.

If there are cancellations, you might be able to get that excursion.

However, if there is another excursion that interests you in that port, sign up for it now. If the one you really want comes through, the shore ex people will let you cancel the other one you reserved with no penalty.

I prepay my on-board account becouse that way I get more money to spend. Prepaying give me a better exchange rate than just paying the account off at the end.

This trip I get $1.66 to the £ if I prepay if I wait and pay at the end of the cruise I will be paying at a rate of $1.55 to the pound. Also means I wont get any foreign exchange fees. Will be giving me an extra $100 dollars free gratis this next trip!

And what I don't spend I get back.:)

Thank you!

There has been a most favourable exchange rate for Canadians to make an OBC which we'll use for both the hotel charges and to pay our excursions once on board. Our dollar is so low right now the 10% exchange rate was great compared with the bank's 30%. We've managed this for both Celebrity and Princess cruises now booked. I gather they've recently upped the exchange to 20%,

Now this isn't a concern for you of course.

Ruth

I would keep checking on that Cabana. After reading your post I went to see if they were sold out on my cruise (it's not there are 2 left) but I found I had booked it per person, not per cabana. So there will 3 shortly.

There has been a most favourable exchange rate for Canadians to make an OBC which we'll use for both the hotel charges and to pay our excursions once on board. Our dollar is so low right now the 10% exchange rate was great compared with the bank's 30%. We've managed this for both Celebrity and Princess cruises now booked. I gather they've recently upped the exchange to 20%,

Now this isn't a concern for you of course.

Ruth

Ruth...

Can you explain exactly how to make a Pre-Cruise OBC purchase to receive the Princess exchange rate.

What currency do we ask to be charged to our Canadian credit card...Canadian or US funds??

Not sure how this works so a simple explanation would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat :)

Edited by 2Canucks

Ruth...

Can you explain exactly how to make a Pre-Cruise OBC purchase to receive the Princess exchange rate.

What currency do we ask to be charged to our Canadian credit card...Canadian or US funds??

Not sure how this works so a simple explanation would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat :)

Pat,

We have a US card that we'll eventually register on line, BUT, for an OBC to work to your advantage, use your Canadian card. I called the web site number and asked to make a $500 U.S. OBC. I asked for confirmation of how much this would cost in Canadian dollars. Some of the people are better than others at getting a reply so be sure you clarify exactly how much it will cost in Cdn. currency before giving your card number. Double check after giving your number to confirm amount in Canadian dollars being charged -- i.e. $110 Cdn. for $100 U.S. OBC

I asked for Emailed confirmation as the OBC does not show up until you board. We put $1 500 US on a Princess cruise this past winter and have OBC on a fall Princess and winter '16 Celebrity. I bring this along 'just in case.'

I gather that the rate changes to 20% for most bookings now. That's why it's so important to confirm rate. But even that's an almost 10% saving. Not worth it probably unless you run up a tab for excursions or such, beyond daily hotel charges.

There are threads on both Princess and Celebrity and I think HAL worth checking.

I know both Aussies and Brits can do the same thing at more favourable rates than given by banks,

Good luck,

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That