Greetings from Vantage...

Shmoo here

It's about 70 miles northwest of Brasov, Romania.

Just googled it.....wow it's really scenic and beautiful....we didn't do Transylvania extension (we had done Prague) so I guess that's why I hadn't heard of it. I'm not surprised that you liked it better than Rothenburg!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Yes, we will do more river cruises, but I think the ocean cruising will figure more prominently in our future than river cruising. The thing that struck me the most was we (everyone onboard) basically were always in the same place, doing the same things. Unlike the big ship cruising, where everyone can opt to do different things.

Of course on an ocean cruise, since the ship is so much bigger, even though people go lots of different ways there's a good chance that 127 of them will be going your way...

"If you're asking about Rothenberg ob der Taber, IMO, I don't think they're at all comparable. Rothenberg (just there a week ago) is a cute little middle ages town, compact, but really commercialized (compared to what it was 30 years ago). Sighisoara is a small, still basically "themed" village that (at least while we were there) seemed to have many school groups visiting. Yes, there were other tour groups, but it didn't seem as commercialized as Rothenberg."

Thanks, it was Rothenberg I was asking about. I was stationed in Wurzburg in 80's so was lucky to have been there a few times (although still can't spell it correctly all the time) before it has gotten so crowded and touristy.

2 years ago we went back to Germany on a driving trip and were able to spend an overnight in Rothenberg. Crazy in the day, beautiful and quiet at night.

Just realize that the 127 passengers is better than the 176 on the new Vantage ships, or 190 on a Viking Longboat. I looked it up, and you were on the tour for about 30 nights w/ pretrip? That is a long time, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

"If you're asking about Rothenberg ob der Taber, IMO, I don't think they're at all comparable. Rothenberg (just there a week ago) is a cute little middle ages town, compact, but really commercialized (compared to what it was 30 years ago). Sighisoara is a small, still basically "themed" village that (at least while we were there) seemed to have many school groups visiting. Yes, there were other tour groups, but it didn't seem as commercialized as Rothenberg."

Thanks, it was Rothenberg I was asking about. I was stationed in Wurzburg in 80's so was lucky to have been there a few times (although still can't spell it correctly all the time) before it has gotten so crowded and touristy.

2 years ago we went back to Germany on a driving trip and were able to spend an overnight in Rothenberg. Crazy in the day, beautiful and quiet at night.

Just realize that the 127 passengers is better than the 176 on the new Vantage ships, or 190 on a Viking Longboat. I looked it up, and you were on the tour for about 30 nights w/ pretrip? That is a long time, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

Yes, we left 30 June and returned 30 July. To date, that's our longest trip.

As to the fact that there will realistically be (most likely) 127 people still headed in the same direction at the same times, we found it mostly a problem when trying to use the internet. On a large cruise ship, we've found the best time to try using the internet was late at night or early in the morning (when most people are in (or headed for) bed. On the river cruise, whenever it was "free time" was the worst time for trying to be on the computer as that's when everyone was trying to be on. So, the best time was when we would skip some function/event (when most people would be there) or leave meals a little early.

It just seemed like we were really in a large group all the time, with not much "alone time".

That is a long time to be on a river cruise....we did Amsterdam to Budapest one year and then Budapest to Black Sea last year....so question: do they change the menu or repeat it on the second leg? Do you have the same dining room staff and crew for the full trip or do they completely change out crew? I know you're TM stayed with you but the concierge changed. Also how do you pack for that length of time? I'm assuming you had to have laundry done on the ship...Would you do it again for 30 days?

That is a long time to be on a river cruise....we did Amsterdam to Budapest one year and then Budapest to Black Sea last year....so question: do they change the menu or repeat it on the second leg? Do you have the same dining room staff and crew for the full trip or do they completely change out crew? I know you're TM stayed with you but the concierge changed. Also how do you pack for that length of time? I'm assuming you had to have laundry done on the ship...Would you do it again for 30 days?

The menu was different each day. There were some repeated items, but not a whole menu. The pastry chef we had onboard was absolutely fantastic.

About half the dining room staff changed when we reached Budapest, and one server (who started at the Black Sea) didn't change out until Wurzburg. The River Splendor was in Wurzburg the same day as us and he and a server from her switched. The Hotel Director and Restaurant Director also changed in Budapest. Also new bartender, but the bar server stayed the whole way. The Receptionist was the same the whole trip, but the other person (forget what her title was) changed in Budapest. And the night reception person changed as well.

As for packing, we've traveled enough that we pack pretty much the same way for all trips (whether they be for a week or longer). We pack enough for 7 days and plan on doing laundry. We typically each pack a large rolling bag (for checking) and a backpack (for our carryon). For this trip, we packed one of the larger bags for use during the Transylvania add on, and didn't open the other until we were onboard the ship. Once onboard, we sent pants/trousers and a few of the heavier shirts to the laundry. I did our underwear/socks and the lighter-weight shirts in the room every couple of days. About half way through, we sent a couple of the pants to the ships laundry again.

We'd probably do that long a trip again, if that's how it worked out. Like you, we had just looked at the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. Then, after deciding that's a long way to go for only 2 weeks, we decided to do the Grand European trip. Which led to choosing the Transylvania add on. Our reasoning was that we most likely wouldn't be returning to Romania soon, and we should take the opportunity.

As to the fact that there will realistically be (most likely) 127 people still headed in the same direction at the same times, we found it mostly a problem when trying to use the internet. On a large cruise ship, we've found the best time to try using the internet was late at night or early in the morning (when most people are in (or headed for) bed. On the river cruise, whenever it was "free time" was the worst time for trying to be on the computer as that's when everyone was trying to be on. So, the best time was when we would skip some function/event (when most people would be there) or leave meals a little early.

It just seemed like we were really in a large group all the time, with not much "alone time".

I think I know what you mean. We just did our first river cruise. We found it to be less flexible then other forms of travel we have done. For example, even though you are in port all day, the ship serves lunch during a fairly narrow window scheduled to coincide with the return of the excursion. So if you decide to remain in town and come back a little later, lunch has already ended. It would not take much effort to keep the light lunch location open a while longer to show a little flexibility. We tended to skip lunch on the ship to get more on our own time in the cities. About half the time we would ditch the walking tour and go on our own (we would tell the guide). We could get more covered and would have more fun exploring.

The schedule is pretty much the briefing for the next day, dinner, some form of entertainment with everyone in the same place.

Even though we found the quality of the ship and the provided services to be quite good they just feel too constrained. So while we may do river cruises in the future, they are below independent travel, ocean cruises, land tours when it comes to our selection criteria.

You get the feeling that they are designed for people that are happy to follow a schedule and show up when and where they are told for the activities. Half of the people on our ship were part of the same group so that might have had an impact. But I doubt that impacted the feel of the overall structure.

I would prefer a couple of changes:

1. Make the light dining area open for extended periods to enable one more flexibility around the set dining times.

2. Design the dining room such that part of it could be a small alternative lounge during non-dining times, or could be used for a game room during those times.

Both of those are doable with current ship designs and would be minimal effort and cost. Would allow a little more flexibility and spreading out of the guests.

Edited by RDC1

It would not take much effort to keep the light lunch location open a while longer to show a little flexibility. We tended to skip lunch on the ship to get more on our own time in the cities.

Very much agree, seems they could keep some sandwiches, fruit, etc out, esp the lines that have a second smaller diner area like Viking's Aquavit Lounge and Vantage's Captain/s Club on newer ships.

Shmoo: "It just seemed like we were really in a large group all the time, with not much "alone time"."

This is why we'll probably take a private tour through the countryside instead of the optional tour to Sighisoara. Transylvania is now a post-trip tour instead of pre-trip as originally booked, I think we'll take some alone time. :)

And who knows, maybe Mary decides she wants her own alone time from me by point, then we both really get our alone time? Help her out...what are the fabric and yarn shops like in Brasov? For me, motorcycle rentals nearby? :cool: