tipping on boarding day?

Is it true that if you don't give a nice sized tip to the folks handling your luggage when you arrive at the cruise terminal, that your bags will either not make it on the ship or that they will take longer than usual to get to your cabins?

I've heard that you have to give GOOD tips... I had to save for a very long time to be able to afford this trip, do I now have to use a good chunk of our spending money to ensure that we actual have our luggage on the cruise?

I think it's true. I didn't tip the bag handler in Baltimore and it was after 10 that night when I got my bag. The RC tag had been ripped off. My own personal tag remained so they were able to finally match my cabin with the bag by my name.

When I was dropped off in Baltimore, I was unfamiliar with the set up. I wasn't prepared with a tip in my hand because I didn't realize our vehicle would be met by a porter. I was in rush to get out and get out of the way that I didn't tip the handler. After going to the line, I turned back and looked, and my bag still hadn't been loaded into the cart. Even at that moment, I thought it was odd that it took so long for my bag to be loaded but I didn't think anything of it until my bag happened to have a missing tag.

I think sometimes we have confusion here.

1. Arrive at ship, pull up, stop car, take baggage out. The "porter" takes bag and tosses it on the cart. That is their only time they touch your bag. Those 15 seconds. They make 80K or more a year. NO TIP

2. Airline porter, takes you bags, walks with you to your car. That's a tipped person.

3. Get off the ship. Porter offers to take you bags to your car. They go with you through security. They are tipped people.

4. Hotel - take you bags and walk the to your room....yes, they get tips.

Now understand, once you bags go on the cart, they are "driven" to a holding area and many others handle you bag. Fork lifted onto the ship, and ship personnel sort, and deliver. All those people behind the scenes you do not tip, but the person that handles you bag for 15 seconds get one? I tip those that do the work and who work for tips. Others, are just their job. Just like the person that loads my bags on the plane do more work than the longshoreman that touched my bag for 15 seconds. Think about it.:D

All baggage people! They usually act grateful. If they see you holding the tip, you may get better service. One porter at the airport saw my tip, and stayed with us until it was checked in. But these days, that may not happen if you get to the airport too early.

Oh, I'm sure they all appreciate the tip. That's not how I read your post. I thought you were saying baggage people appreciate you putting your cruise tags on your luggage before your flight.

So, carry on.

I think it's true. I didn't tip the bag handler in Baltimore and it was after 10 that night when I got my bag. The RC tag had been ripped off. My own personal tag remained so they were able to finally match my cabin with the bag by my name.

When I was dropped off in Baltimore, I was unfamiliar with the set up. I wasn't prepared with a tip in my hand because I didn't realize our vehicle would be met by a porter. I was in rush to get out and get out of the way that I didn't tip the handler. After going to the line, I turned back and looked, and my bag still hadn't been loaded into the cart. Even at that moment, I thought it was odd that it took so long for my bag to be loaded but I didn't think anything of it until my bag happened to have a missing tag.

We also had a bad porter experience in Baltimore. We used the ship's transfer, and after we boarded the bus, they told us they were throwing out bags onto the dolly. We'd also handed over our camera bags and medicine when we boarded the bus. So, we had to get them to fish our bags out of the pile. And my camera bag had been thrown on the bottom. So now, we always make sure we bring our medicine and cameras on the bus with us.

Oh, I'm sure they all appreciate the tip. That's not how I read your post. I thought you were saying baggage people appreciate you putting your cruise tags on your luggage before your flight.

So, carry on.

Not a big deal usually, but when the airlines lose our luggage, that ship tag suddenly becomes very important. One of the times they lost our luggage, one showed up at the hotel the next morning, but the other didn't arrive until after dinner the next day.

We also put our itinerary in one of those luggage tag holders from Magellans, and that also contains our ship & stateroom.

I think all ports are different. Our last cruise in March was out if Fort Lauderdale. We took a shuttle from the hotel. Due to the massive amount of traffic, we we're let out pretty far from the loading of the ship. The Porter came down and greeted us, checked all of our tags and advised us that we were ready to go to check in. He would take care of all of our bags. There must have been 15 or more heavy bags. I tipped him well as I did not have to drag them down to the check in area. I think we were the only ones that tipped him and he was so appreciative that he shook my hand and thanked me!

If the worst thing I do in life is over tip someone that is working hard - I will be happy.