tipping on boarding day?

Is it true that if you don't give a nice sized tip to the folks handling your luggage when you arrive at the cruise terminal, that your bags will either not make it on the ship or that they will take longer than usual to get to your cabins?

I've heard that you have to give GOOD tips... I had to save for a very long time to be able to afford this trip, do I now have to use a good chunk of our spending money to ensure that we actual have our luggage on the cruise?

That is completely false.

The porters you give the bags to do not work for the cruise line and do not load them on the ship. They make pretty hefty salaries and only load the big rolling carts. Those carts are transferred to stevedores who use forklifts to put the carts on to the ship. When they are delivered to your room has more to do with if they were at the top of a cart or bottom of the cart, and once on the ship they are delivered by porters that work for the cruise line and have no contact and nothing to do with the curbside porter.

If you want to tip an average tip is $1-2 per bag.

Edited by LMaxwell

Is it true that if you don't give a nice sized tip to the folks handling your luggage when you arrive at the cruise terminal, that your bags will either not make it on the ship or that they will take longer than usual to get to your cabins?

I've heard that you have to give GOOD tips... I had to save for a very long time to be able to afford this trip, do I now have to use a good chunk of our spending money to ensure that we actual have our luggage on the cruise?

Didn't you pretty much ask this same exact question about 8 years ago? LOL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11459269&postcount=1

As best as I can tell this hasn't changed. :)

My husband went to drop off our bags as I stood in line. He had no cash and apologized to the porter. My sons friends bag never came. After going to guest services they had it with all tags and identification removed. We had to tell them what was in the bag. This was at Port Canaveral. Even though they received hefty salaries they still like tips.

I always hand them a 20 when I give them my bags. Mostly because I think it's the right thing to do. But .... when I do that... They usually take them right away and put them on a cart, as opposed to leaving my bag sitting in the wide open on the curb like they do for so many. Of course, do what you like. This is merely what I do.

The only time I didn't tip the porter was in San Juan and only because of his attitude.

I always have the tip money in my pocket before reaching the port. I especially dont like taking my wallet out with a lot of people around and having it in my pocket is much quicker.

Before I could reach in my pocket for the money he had his hand out and said in a sarcastic voice "We really do appreciated tips"

I just looked at him and said "Really, have a nice day" and walked away. Just like a pushy salesman. I walk away from them too.

We normally have 3 check in bags so $5.00 is the norm.

Didn't you pretty much ask this same exact question about 8 years ago? LOL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11459269&postcount=1

As best as I can tell this hasn't changed. :)

Can't believe you went back 8 years ago to find this persons post....really?:confused:

That being said I check one bag and tip $5.00

Edited by Midwestgal

Where did you hear that lie and to make matters worst you believed it.

I always hand them a 20 when I give them my bags. Mostly because I think it's the right thing to do. But .... when I do that... They usually take them right away and put them on a cart, as opposed to leaving my bag sitting in the wide open on the curb like they do for so many. Of course, do what you like. This is merely what I do.

Me too (actually more as we usually have 6 bags). Heck, it's $20 bucks out of a fairly expensive cruise. I go to a fast food joint and drop close to that for lunch.

But we always get good service. Not so much boarding, but coming back. One cruise my wife gave the porter $40 (ok, even I though that was a bit "much"). He was so excited, he gave me his cell number and said to call when we got back. I called him and said we were getting ready to walk off the ship. We met him at the bottom of the escalator and handed him our 2 carry offs. That was the last time I touched a piece of luggage until I got home. He loaded our luggage, expedited us through Customs, and loaded my car. Easily worth the $40.

But, to each his own.

I almost never tipped anyone handling our luggage...usually we get to port pretty late, and there are already tons of luggage being loaded up onto carts, lots of people around, etc. We only have two suitcases (for the 2 of us), and the bags just go to the pile waiting to be loaded; the handlers aren't looking to see which bags belong to people that tipped and which don't.

But I guess it depends on the port (someone mentioned FLL specifically - I can believe that...) and also how much luggage you have.

Edited by Illyria

Can't believe you went back 8 years ago to find this persons post....really?:confused:

That being said I check one bag and tip $5.00

Hey, I'm flattered! I was that memorable that they REMEMBERED me after all these years!

All kidding aside, it HAS been a while since I cruised last.

from the time I booked our coming cruise, I've been stalking these boards (and others) and have seen people posting about lost bags and such (and blaming it on not tipping in some cases... or someone commenting within the thread about lack of tips, etc). I was getting concerned that things had taken a turn.

Edited by angelsfort

Would 5 bucks really be a "good chunk" of your spending money?

Edited by bouhunter