Driving to Miami Port for RCI on Labor Day

Hi, just realised we will be driving to Miami from Orlando on Monday 7th Sept which I believe is Labor Day. This is the day we check out from our hotel in Orlando. Can anyone recommend a good route and what time we should leave to get to Miami Port...? Is the traffic pretty bad on this day ?

Any advice appreciated thanks

Hi, just realised we will be driving to Miami from Orlando on Monday 7th Sept which I believe is Labor Day. This is the day we check out from our hotel in Orlando. Can anyone recommend a good route and what time we should leave to get to Miami Port...? Is the traffic pretty bad on this day ?

why would it be bad? Everyone has day off

Haven't driven to Miami in years...but I would take the turnpike to Ft. Pierce...and then catch 95 the rest of the way to Miami...plan on about a 3 hr drive from Orlando...

It is almost 250 miles. 95 can be stopped for any number of reasons. I would budget 4 hours of driving plus allow for traffic and delays. I'd also stay on turnpike to the 595 interchange because then you've got less than 30 miles of 95 to contend with.

Holiday = less traffic.

Thanks for the replies. I thought the traffic may be worse as everyone heading out of disney at the end of the labor weekend. Turnpike seems more favourable then!

Would you say is better taking the turnpike from Miami up to Orlando too? We are stopping off at port St lucie on the way up which I think it's off the i95. Also is it very easy to get from Miami airport onto the i95/turnpike. This will be on a Sunday evening and bit anxious of driving at dusk. Never flew into Miami before. Thanks again x

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I thought the traffic may be worse as everyone heading out of disney at the end of the labor weekend. Turnpike seems more favourable then!

Would you say is better taking the turnpike from Miami up to Orlando too? We are stopping off at port St lucie on the way up which I think it's off the i95. Also is it very easy to get from Miami airport onto the i95/turnpike. This will be on a Sunday evening and bit anxious of driving at dusk. Never flew into Miami before. Thanks again x

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Getting to turnpike from Miami is fairly straightforward. If you are heading north but stopping in PSL I'd say you are safe to cross over from Tpike to 95 anywhere between Palm Beach and Fort Pierce. From PSL to Orlando take the turnpike again as 95 puts you way far east of Orlando.

Whenever there is an accident on 95 it comes to a halt. Can happen with turnpike too but not like 95 which can be a mess.

From O town I would just stick with the TP and stay on it til it joins I-95. The transition between the TP and 95 can be a bit slow... seems to me it was only 1 lane the last time I went that far south. Usually I peal off at Ft. Liquordale.

Haven't driven to Miami in years...but I would take the turnpike to Ft. Pierce...and then catch 95 the rest of the way to Miami...plan on about a 3 hr drive from Orlando...

I drive down there several times a year from the Melbourne area. I go south on 95 til Jupiter and then get on the TP the rest of the way. I-95 and the TP are very close together at Jupiter, even closer than at Ft. Pierce. It is south of Jupiter is when you can get snarled in the Palm Beach traffic and things can go down hill as you move closer to FLL and MIA. However sometimes I do stay on 95 all the way if it is early in the day on the weekend with no rush hour. I really don't know what Labor Day would bring in terms of traffic.

It doesn't take much to shut the interstate down. I-95 was shut down for 7 hours a couple of days ago due to a brush fire.

Heck, even the turnpike was shut down for several hours yesterday after a crash. And in South Florida people drive like complete maniacs anyways. Always have to leave PLENTY of time AND know an alternate route if needed. Local roads in Broward and Miami-Dade county are very, very congested. 4 hours Orlando to Miami on Labor Day that I quoted is if there is no heavy traffic and no delays. You can cruise 70-75 if there's no issue, but if there is forget it.