Does RCI really offer single rooms?

I just called to reserve a single room for my uncle and was told one was available only to have the answer be changed to the room hasn't been released yet. Apparently, they keep the single rooms attached to Jr. Family Suites or Family Suites and if they do not get booked as such, they make them available for singles. This is most unfortunate if you are a single traveler because the upcharge is so significant when getting a single regular room. RCI is making it very difficult to want to travel with them...the cost is higher than NCL and they don't really offer a single room, unless, of course, a family doesn't book the room.

only a few ships have actual single cabins built to hold one passenger. they sell out VERY fast.

what you may be running into is the fact that cabins that hold 4 are NOT being released to book for smaller parties until closer to sail date. this is a new (ish) policy change and only affects certain itineraries/times/ships.

not every cabin is covered under this policy.

Edited by spookwife

I just called to reserve a single room for my uncle and was told one was available only to have the answer be changed to the room hasn't been released yet. Apparently, they keep the single rooms attached to Jr. Family Suites or Family Suites and if they do not get booked as such, they make them available for singles. This is most unfortunate if you are a single traveler because the upcharge is so significant when getting a single regular room. RCI is making it very difficult to want to travel with them...the cost is higher than NCL and they don't really offer a single room, unless, of course, a family doesn't book the room.

You are referring to one of the Quantum class ships. In addition to those single cabins that are attached to the family JR Suites there are also a number of single cabins available without a supplement.

The singles cabins are called Super Studio and designated by the code SB in yellow on the deck plans. They may be sold out but they are there.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=07&shipCode=AN&shipProfile=1648&sailDate=1150718&hasNavigation=false

Hi Misty. I stayed in an SI last Dec so I know these rooms and cabin configurations. great cabin for a solo but very small... but priced accordingly too. I'm not surprised RCL is holding back to see if families book these suites, they are an awesome concept.

Here's lots of pics and a review of a solo SI for you to look at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147856&highlight=si

DCS01435_zps6fd88390.jpg

And agree with your last sentence... RCL is making it very difficult to sail solo with them. I have been very lucky on a couple of my sailings solo re: price incl Quantum.

Hi Misty. I stayed in an SI last Dec so I know these rooms and cabin configurations. great cabin for a solo but very small... but priced accordingly too. I'm not surprised RCL is holding back to see if families book these suites, they are an awesome concept.

DCS01435_zps6fd88390.jpg

And agree with your last sentence... RCL is making it very difficult to sail solo with them. I have been very lucky on a couple of my sailings solo re: price incl Quantum.

Claudio, I love this view of your cabin. It shows what a CLOSET it is! :eek: :p ;) :D

Claudio, I love this view of your cabin. It shows what a CLOSET it is! :eek: :p ;) :D

Lol!! Ya, it really was. I was blown away when I opened the door the first time. I know you guys were astounded on the cabin crawl :eek:

Approx 100sf total, bathroom is full size approx 20sf, leaving only 80sf for cabin + closet + storage + fridge!!! Got used to it pretty quick and was barely in the room so it worked out great for me personally.:D

Bottom line... on that 12-night first time Southern Carib sailing SI = $1800, interior solo $4100. No brainer... SI or I wasn't going. Likely what the OP is facing re price

Edited by Hoopster95

Don't give up on finding a cabin for a solo on most ships. I always sail as a solo and in almost all cases a regular interior cabin is only a small amount more than the studio cabins. When I looked at that tiny solo cabin on the Quantum class I knew there was no way I would be happy being in close contact with a family (with kids) :-). I feel the same way about connecting cabins.

There is no logic in how cabins are priced, for example recently I booked the Harmony in a balcony cabin for less than an interior. There are web sites that can be searched for solo specials.

DCS01435_zps6fd88390.jpg

Hi Hoopster -

Thanks for the info and the picture. Wow, it really is a small room, but spend so little time in the room I don't think that matters. The price is great, I just wish the rooms were readily available for singles and not tied to the Family Suite.

Don't give up on finding a cabin for a solo on most ships. I always sail as a solo and in almost all cases a regular interior cabin is only a small amount more than the studio cabins. When I looked at that tiny solo cabin on the Quantum class I knew there was no way I would be happy being in close contact with a family (with kids) :-). I feel the same way about connecting cabins.

There is no logic in how cabins are priced, for example recently I booked the Harmony in a balcony cabin for less than an interior. There are web sites that can be searched for solo specials.

Hi Fran -

I didn't realize there were web sites to search for solo specials. Is that information you can offer up, I guess I can try googling it.

Thanks for the info.

I have been following those Bermuda. Sailings and they have had the SI available for online booking on the 5/5/16 cruise.

They are currently available for the 7/14 and 7/28. Depending on your C&A status its almost a better deal to get the Studio Balcony cabins SB

Just have to constantly keep checking back to see if people have cancelled them.

Looking at the Anthem of the Seas, May 5th, 2016.

Unfortunately your cruise is basically booked out for insides even though it's 10 months out. The only thing you can do is monitor daily to see if something comes up or pay the single supplement for a cat L inside. You're going to have to play the waiting game.

Looking at the Anthem of the Seas, May 5th, 2016.

The price is great, I just wish the rooms were readily available for singles and not tied to the Family Suite.

Huh!! Small world... I'm on that sailing :D

I would suspect over time they could release some if they're not booking many full families. Did they tell you if they are in fact avail and only being held for families first?

On the Quantum class there are 28 studio staterooms, 16 interior, and 12 with balconies. A few are designed to be booked with the connected rooms. Because of the number of them they do sell out quickly but if you can get one they are great value. I have booked a B2B on the Ovation in the studio balcony for roughly what the first leg would have cost in a standard interior.

I cruise solo and in addition to these problems, many solo cabins on sale are priced the same as a non solo cabin.

To illustrate, pick any Ovation sailing to Australia and New Zealand, and look for SB category (Studio Balcony), notice that its price is almost the same as an Obstructed Balcony, and worst, for a C&A member, you get single points only but you pay the same price as a double occupancy that is larger and gives double C&A points for being solo.

This has been a recurring problem.

You are referring to one of the Quantum class ships. In addition to those single cabins that are attached to the family JR Suites there are also a number of single cabins available without a supplement.

The singles cabins are called Super Studio and designated by the code SB in yellow on the deck plans. They may be sold out but they are there.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=07&shipCode=AN&shipProfile=1648&sailDate=1150718&hasNavigation=false

I wouldn't say the single cabins are available without a "single supplement". They still cost almost as much as a regular room, PLUS you don't get double points so there isn't much savings at all really. I know this from personal booking experience. So while there is no formal surcharge, RCI has already factored in a higher price for these rooms. And they are few and far between and usually book up quickly. I have only once so far in all my cruising's been able to grab one of these and it was on Brilliance.

Edited by monctonguy
update info

Hi Hoopster -

Thanks for the info and the picture. Wow, it really is a small room, but spend so little time in the room I don't think that matters. The price is great, I just wish the rooms were readily available for singles and not tied to the Family Suite.

Makes sense to me that they would want to sell it for a family, as they could probably sell two people in that space, in that case. Two people staying in that space would be very tight, but if it's used as an extension of the larger suite, two people sleeping in that bed would not be bad at all.

Obviously, you and the company have conflicting goals, with you wanting to book the cabin at as low a price as possible, and them wanting to sell the cabin for as much revenue as possible.

Maybe it'll be released, though. Good luck.

Huh!! Small world... I'm on that sailing :D

I would suspect over time they could release some if they're not booking many full families. Did they tell you if they are in fact avail and only being held for families first?

It is indeed a small world.

Yes, they did tell me they were waiting to see if the families would book them first. Apparently, they release them from time to time if the families don't book them.

Initially, when they said they had single rooms I thought they had singles (which they do), but several of the inside studios are attached to these balcony rooms which connect making them Jr. Family Suites.

I am anxious to see pictures of the SI category cabins on the Harmony which I booked for 2016. The pictures here would be similar to an SO (outside).

The cabin layout will be different on the Harmony too since they aren't attached to other cabins and are located all alone on deck 4. Based on the pictures in the link at least I can get an idea of the size and it doesn't look too small for one person :) Thanks for posting!

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone can offer any information on how to go about booking single rooms or sites aboutnthem I would appreciate it so much...Have cruised over 20 times but will be cruising alone and need any help with information I can get..Thank you all

If anyone can offer any information on how to go about booking single rooms or sites aboutnthem I would appreciate it so much...Have cruised over 20 times but will be cruising alone and need any help with information I can get..Thank you all

I booked a single guarantee even though it didn't exist on the website. I called and requested that they open this up because the price was much lower and they did.

I just booked a single on the Radiance (there are 3) and the price was higher than the per person double occupancy rate. However, it was cheaper than a category Q or other inside categories, which were double the normal rate.

I read on CC the studios were actually higher than regular inside categories, higher but not when you price out as a single, regular ones price out as double. It is confusing.

This is an excellent video of a Studio Balcony. We are also on the May 5 sailing. I am betting the SB are gone. But watch especially at time of final payment; maybe someone will cancel.