Elbe River current water levels ?

JVilleGal

Viking has been canceling all cruises on their two smaller Elbe ships all month. They are not doing so for their two newer ships, but are busing passengers. Viking has posted a special web site for those who want to monitor the status of their cruises.

They are giving about five days notice. Just last night they posted the cancellations for Aug. 20.

Finally cooled off once we left the tour and arrived in Mainz on our own. We like finishing our European vacations in Mainz, then departing from Frankfurt for the USA. We always book our own flights.

No riverboat activity on the Elbe at all. We docked in Wittenberg to utilize the boat's dining and sleeping facilities. I don't believe we missed anything on the scheduled itinerary except Magdeburg.

In Dresden the Westin was conveniently located for easy walking into the old town--quite a pleasant stay except for the extreme heat. Breakfasts were normal buffet style while lunches and dinners were at local restaurants. GCT included a wine tasting/dinner that typically has an additional fee, to alleviate some of the frustration for the disappointed "cruisers." Actually this group was exceptionally positive throughout the tour despite the bus tour we ended up with. No whining or complaining--just lots of good natured jokes about our "cruise" on Elbe Creek.

To sum up GCT came through and supplied the best alternate itinerary possible and I think we got our money's worth.

All cruises on Viking two smaller ships on the Elbe have been cancelled so far this month while they are using busses for the two larger ships. Does anyone know why this disparity?

Viking is giving approximately five days before the cancellations, leaving folks already in Europe in the lurch. We are booked for Oct. 1 on the Fontaine and will first go to Berlin so are possibly facing a cancellation while already in Europe. Does anyone have suggestions for a Plan B?

Our Plan B is a Do-It-Yourself because we still want our vacation. Our cruise is on Oct. 1 on the Shumann from Prague. We fly over 4 days before that. We've mapped our own tour based on places the cruise would have gone to - and then added other towns which interested us (and there are lots!). We've rented a car and booked a couple of hotels and all can be cancelled if cruise actually takes place. Lots and lots of walking tours and guides online. I'm actually starting to look forward to our own trip.

All cruises on Viking two smaller ships on the Elbe have been cancelled so far this month while they are using busses for the two larger ships. Does anyone know why this disparity?

Viking is giving approximately five days before the cancellations, leaving folks already in Europe in the lurch. We are booked for Oct. 1 on the Fontaine and will first go to Berlin so are possibly facing a cancellation while already in Europe. Does anyone have suggestions for a Plan B?

This is the reply I got from Viking:

"As you have seen on the Viking website the Viking Beyla is currently running an amended itinerary. The feedback from our US guests suggests that would prefer to travel on the itinerary with these types of changes. The Viking Beyla is predominately sold by the US office.

However, our UK sailings on the Viking Fontane and Schumann the feedback we receive is that guests would rather have the cruise cancelled if there was any changes to the itinerary due to low water.

Next week management will be reviewing the situation regarding the Elbe, and the outcome will be reiterate to guests as soon as a decision is made.

Our cruise is Viking Prague/Berlin 4th September on Schumann. What are the chances of it sailing?

At least you seem to have gotten a reply from Viking. I have been on several of their river trips and liked them. BUT I always have found them unresponsive before and after a cruise. For example, I called last week to ask when we would get our money refunded if our cruise is cancelled. The agent did not know but promised to ask someone and e-mail the answer.

Nothing.

If they feel that passengers on the two small ships would prefer cancellation, then they should cancel weeks in advance. There is little rain forecast for September. But, frankly, I think they should poll their clients.

Our three couples would prefer to go forward on the Fontaine (Oct. 1) even it means busing.

If they feel that passengers on the two small ships would prefer cancellation, then they should cancel weeks in advance.

They would prefer cancellation if the cruise can't cruise, but they really can't know that 'weeks in advance' as all it takes a week of rain and the cruise is good to go again ...

We have to accept that river cruising has some unique aspects to it and if we want to use the rivers for our holidays than an acceptance of imperfect knowledge and last minute changes would seem to be one of those aspects.

If we need to know weeks in advance if it is happening or not then perhaps opting for something other than a river cruise would be wise...

Dear ratros22,

We regret to hear you have not yet received follow-up as promised by a Viking representative. While October is still too far out to determine if water levels will impact your trip, we are happy to answer any questions you may have. We would encourage you to contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com to discuss further.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

At least you seem to have gotten a reply from Viking. I have been on several of their river trips and liked them. BUT I always have found them unresponsive before and after a cruise. For example, I called last week to ask when we would get our money refunded if our cruise is cancelled. The agent did not know but promised to ask someone and e-mail the answer.

Nothing.

If they feel that passengers on the two small ships would prefer cancellation, then they should cancel weeks in advance. There is little rain forecast for September. But, frankly, I think they should poll their clients.

Our three couples would prefer to go forward on the Fontaine (Oct. 1) even it means busing.

They would prefer cancellation if the cruise can't cruise, but they really can't know that 'weeks in advance' as all it takes a week of rain and the cruise is good to go again ...

We have to accept that river cruising has some unique aspects to it and if we want to use the rivers for our holidays than an acceptance of imperfect knowledge and last minute changes would seem to be one of those aspects.

If we need to know weeks in advance if it is happening or not then perhaps opting for something other than a river cruise would be wise...

Actually I have been on every river in Europe at least once, except the Elbe. Most on Viking. And, in fact, we were on the Danube when it had the 500 year flood and the ship had to miss the last two ports.

When I signed up for the Elbe trip, I knew that the Elbe was risky. However, I did so knowing that, in the past, Viking used buses then the water level was low. They did not outright cancel.

The water level is so low a few rains will not solve the problem. So if they are not going to bus the clients who have reserved on the Fontaine and its sister ship, they certainly can give more than six days notice so clients have time to make alternative plans. They know now what their contingency plan is for these cruises: bus or cancel.

I am due to travel Prague/Berlin with Viking Schumann 4th September.

I keep telephoning and sending emails for updates. This is their latest reply:

"Thank you for your email.

As per Gail’s previous advice to you, I would just like to reiterate that we should be in a position to advise you regarding your forthcoming Elegant Elbe cruise on Friday 21st August.

My colleague Rosanagh will be in touch with you on that date but meanwhile, I would like to thank you for your continued patience."

Thats today and its 1300 hrs GMT.

Hope this helps.

Derek

Humm well it is the 21st in the U.S. And I doubt Viking is open on Sat in the UK.... Maybe you should call the U.S. Customer service folks. For your info it is currently on 7:30am US west coast time where Viking is located so you will need to wait another hour at least (I would think) and then I'd call if I was you! JMHO

We're scheduled to fly to Prague on Monday, August 24 for our August 27 Elbe cruise on Viking Fontane. So far, no word one way or another on whether it's "go" or "no go." We booked air through Viking and have a hotel for two nights before the "official" part of the trip, so time is getting really short for us to make decisions and take care of details at home prior to the (maybe) trip. I can understand that Viking does NOT want to cancel if they can justify running our trip. But, really, we need a definitive decision NOW.

Edited by Jeff in Torrance

Jeff in Torrance did you book direct ? Did you buy Travel Insurance thru someone other than Viking?? Third party not sold by Viking.... I would call them this is Friday, I don't think their CS dept is open over the weekend. Have you been checking "booked passengers" on their website for alerts???

Jeff in Torrance did you book direct ? Did you buy Travel Insurance thru someone other than Viking?? Third party not sold by Viking.... I would call them this is Friday, I don't think their CS dept is open over the weekend. Have you been checking "booked passengers" on their website for alerts???

All of our arrangements, including travel insurance, are through Viking. We have a hotel room for two additional nights in Prague, that we arranged on our own. We have been in direct contact with the hotel.

Was hoping you had outside Travel Insurance so that you had true coverage for "Cancel for any reason" that would make you whole should you decide you don't want a bus tour. Did you log into your "booked passenger" account on the Viking website to see if they don't have further info.... They don't seem to put it anywhere publicly available and the CS people don't seem to know that there is no water in the Elbe?

Well further to my last post saying that Viking would contact me today regarding 4th Sept Elbe Prague/Berlin Schumann cruise.

Guess what they didn't contact me. Surprise surprise!!!

I telephoned them at 1700 hrs today. The lady that was meant to contact me had just gone home.

The information I was given was that next weeks Schumann was going ahead with little or no alterations, and they will not be able to tell me about the 4th Sept sailing until Friday 28th. This is of little help as I am flying to Prague on Thursday 27th.

Derek

Well further to my last post saying that Viking would contact me today regarding 4th Sept Elbe Prague/Berlin Schumann cruise.

Guess what they didn't contact me. Surprise surprise!!!

I telephoned them at 1700 hrs today. The lady that was meant to contact me had just gone home.

The information I was given was that next weeks Schumann was going ahead with little or no alterations, and they will not be able to tell me about the 4th Sept sailing until Friday 28th. This is of little help as I am flying to Prague on Thursday 27th.

Derek

Got to wonder how they plan to sail a boat without water in the Elbe????? Maybe one or two of our local posters will chime in. But no water would seem to indicate no cruise & at best a bus tour 😱

:) Good to hear that GTC has a good alternate plan. We leave November 6 for Prague to Berlin tour. Hopefully rain before then. Visiting a cousin who lives in Dresden, so extra days there would be a good thing. Will be in Prague 2 days early, looks beautiful. Anyone else on our cruise?

Finally cooled off once we left the tour and arrived in Mainz on our own. We like finishing our European vacations in Mainz, then departing from Frankfurt for the USA. We always book our own flights.

No riverboat activity on the Elbe at all. We docked in Wittenberg to utilize the boat's dining and sleeping facilities. I don't believe we missed anything on the scheduled itinerary except Magdeburg.

In Dresden the Westin was conveniently located for easy walking into the old town--quite a pleasant stay except for the extreme heat. Breakfasts were normal buffet style while lunches and dinners were at local restaurants. GCT included a wine tasting/dinner that typically has an additional fee, to alleviate some of the frustration for the disappointed "cruisers." Actually this group was exceptionally positive throughout the tour despite the bus tour we ended up with. No whining or complaining--just lots of good natured jokes about our "cruise" on Elbe Creek.

To sum up GCT came through and supplied the best alternate itinerary possible and I think we got our money's worth.

I read this on Rick Steve's facebook page concerning the Elbe in Hamburg

"After being in Germany as it suffered through an unprecedented 30 days in a row of temperatures between 90 and 100 degrees, and now in the midst of several days of torrential thunder storms, I’m clued into climate change as it affects Europe. Here in Hamburg, in anticipation of storm surges that could push the Elbe River into people's living rooms, you’ll find all-new riverside construction basically on stilts. The city's 60-mile-long embankment is also beefed up. In an effort to make beer out of lemons, the city has gone to great lengths to make the new embankment not an eyesore, but an elevated, park like people zone."

Hamburg is a totally different thing!!

There´s a big dam in Geesthacht upriver from Hamburg which separates the Elbe river into two parts. Upriver it´s the original river. Downriver it´s the seaport. The downriver part has a tide influenced by the North Sea. Salt water is coming upriver. Therefore storm floods are happening in Hamburg too.

All new buildings along the Elbe river are sort of "elevated". But these are condos now. All former buildings there were wharehouses. They had floodings in the first floor frequently too. It´s nothing new. But you can imagine that a flooding in a condo is causing much more damage and a wharehouse is easier to empty out. That´s the main reason why they don´t build any condos in the first floor but start on second floor. Anyway there are rooms in the first floor too like garages, shops, restaurants. Those are all on street level. Those have to live with the floodings.

steamboats

Hamburg is a totally different thing!!

There´s a big dam in Geesthacht upriver from Hamburg which separates the Elbe river into two parts. Upriver it´s the original river. Downriver it´s the seaport. The downriver part has a tide influenced by the North Sea. Salt water is coming upriver. Therefore storm floods are happening in Hamburg too.

All new buildings along the Elbe river are sort of "elevated". But these are condos now. All former buildings there were wharehouses. They had floodings in the first floor frequently too. It´s nothing new. But you can imagine that a flooding in a condo is causing much more damage and a wharehouse is easier to empty out. That´s the main reason why they don´t build any condos in the first floor but start on second floor. Anyway there are rooms in the first floor too like garages, shops, restaurants. Those are all on street level. Those have to live with the floodings.

steamboats

Rick Steves, nerd from St Louiis, who knows things us dumb people don't know.

Give me a break.:rolleyes:

jc