Calling Alaska cruise experts (out of Vancouver)

Moriah

I should probably be one of these "experts" myself having already sailed on HAL 10 (or more) times to Alaska, BUT... I am not sure about this so am asking all you nice people.

I am sailing from Vancouver on Voldendam - embarking on my birthday - and we were thinking of having a nice dinner in the Pinnacle that first night of the cruise. This is not something we've done before (usually we save the Pinnacle Grill for mid-cruise), so my questions:

I don't want to be at dinner when it's still light outside and the scenery is amazing as we sail away from Vancouver. We leave at 4 PM. Any idea what time it will be dark for us on Volendam as we sail north from Vancouver (at least I assume it's north???) I realize there is a chance for a window table, but still... I'd rather reserve for when darkness is falling and we want to be inside enjoying dinner instead of the scenery...

Also, to make a reservation for the Pinnacle Grill for the first night of the cruise, would you advise doing it online or calling or just waiting until we embark?

I should probably be one of these "experts" myself having already sailed on HAL 10 (or more) times to Alaska, BUT... I am not sure about this so am asking all you nice people.

I am sailing from Vancouver on Voldendam - embarking on my birthday - and we were thinking of having a nice dinner in the Pinnacle that first night of the cruise. This is not something we've done before (usually we save the Pinnacle Grill for mid-cruise), so my questions:

I don't want to be at dinner when it's still light outside and the scenery is amazing as we sail away from Vancouver. We leave at 4 PM. Any idea what time it will be dark for us on Volendam as we sail north from Vancouver (at least I assume it's north???) I realize there is a chance for a window table, but still... I'd rather reserve for when darkness is falling and we want to be inside enjoying dinner instead of the scenery...

Also, to make a reservation for the Pinnacle Grill for the first night of the cruise, would you advise doing it online or calling or just waiting until we embark?

I guess much depends on when you are sailing. A September cruise would get dark much earlier. The first night out of Vancouver through the Inside Passage is very scenic, so I would either book a late dinner, or wait till the next day. Just MHO.

I guess much depends on when you are sailing. A September cruise would get dark much earlier. The first night out of Vancouver through the Inside Passage is very scenic, so I would either book a late dinner, or wait till the next day. Just MHO.

Thank you, of course silly me I neglected to say when we are going! We embark on August 19.

When is your cruise? That will help us determine when it gets dark.

I would make the PG reservation online to ensure you get the date and time you want.

There is NO chance for a PG window table (at least one that looks outside) on the Volendam. The only window tables look over the passageway between the PG and the movie theater.

That's too bad. I didn't enjoy looking at the hallway on my Amsterdam cruise last year.

I'm glad you caught that, Mary Ellen, for the OP's sake.

When is your cruise? That will help us determine when it gets dark.

I would make the PG reservation online to ensure you get the date and time you want.

Thanks! We leave out of Vancouver on August 19.

There is NO chance for a PG window table (at least one that looks outside) on the Volendam. The only window tables look over the passageway between the PG and the movie theater.

Thanks for that! And thank you to the poster who found out sunset is at 8:22! I think we'll make a late dining reservation online - we usually don't eat late but it's a special occasion and I don't want to be stuck with a 5 PM slot either! Thanks again for all the info everyone!

In the PG there are outside windows on the Prinsendam, Vista, and Signature class ships. I know there aren't on the R Class. It's been so long since I've sailed on an S Class, but I'd be surprised since they are very similar to the R Class.

These are the only windows and they face the hallway that directs people past them. No exterior views from Volendam's Pinnacle Grill.

Volendam-1-Pinnacle-Grill-1.jpg

Since the Pinnacle on the S-class ships was carved out of a portion of the Explorers Lounge, there are outside windows there.

I have had some lovely views while dining in the Pinnacle on the Veendam, Ryndam and the Maasdam.

In the PG there are outside windows on the Prinsendam, Vista, and Signature class ships. I know there aren't on the R Class. It's been so long since I've sailed on an S Class, but I'd be surprised since they are very similar to the R Class.

On the Maasdam (S Class) there are external windows in the PG.

Since the Pinnacle on the S-class ships was carved out of a portion of the Explorers Lounge, there are outside windows there.

I have had some lovely views while dining in the Pinnacle on the Veendam, Ryndam and the Maasdam.

For anyone that would like a visual:

maasdam_pinnacle_grill.jpg

OP:

We like to make reservations for the Pinnacle for nights where the ship leaves late. That way we don't miss the scenery you get with 5 pm departures.

I would suggest you could go anytime in Juneau with your 10 pm departure.

The view in the Volendam's Pinnacle is the somewhat overboard decorating!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks, Ruth! I'll keep that in mind, but truth be told, I don't foresee us ever sailing again on an S Class ship. It's been over 15 years since I sailed on one. No wonder I couldn't remember. :o

OP:

We like to make reservations for the Pinnacle for nights where the ship leaves late. That way we don't miss the scenery you get with 5 pm departures.

I would suggest you could go anytime in Juneau with your 10 pm departure.

The view in the Volendam's Pinnacle is the somewhat overboard decorating!

Thanks, this is great info. I think we will take this advice and have our Pinnacle dinner on Juneau night and not miss the views on sail away night from Vancouver. This will be my first cruise on Volendam so all this info about how her PG differs from other ships has been enlightening. Thanks, all.

It's been over 15 years since I sailed on one. No wonder I couldn't remember. :o

15 years? No wonder you couldn't remember! The Pinnacle didn't even exist 15 years ago!

Using the link that Maryann posted (she beat me to it), sunset is at 8:22 pm on the 19th.
... add another 15 minutes for twilight...

A little tip... set an alarm on your watch for 8:35pm to look out! Then again.... when you at the inside passage... will the tall mountains force an earlier sunset?

Thanks, this is great info. I think we will take this advice and have our Pinnacle dinner on Juneau night and not miss the views on sail away night from Vancouver. This will be my first cruise on Volendam so all this info about how her PG differs from other ships has been enlightening. Thanks, all.

I am glad I looked up your itinerary! We do this all the time, any late departure and we go to the Pinnacle, especially on the R class ships (no view).

As you know form your many Alaska cruises, the sailaways from all ports and Glacier Bay are quite scenic! Skagway is a bit late at 9 pm, but Ketchikan at 6 pm and Glacier Bay at 4 pm will have some scenery to watch.

Have a great time!!