Cancellation Fee

saucygertie

I never realized that Princess has a cancellation fee when you book on a promotion. When I went to cancel a 15 day Hawaii for October 14, 2015 they charged me a $200 cancellation fee. I have never had to pay a cancellation fee before and I was very surprised. I guess we have to be very careful when booking a promotion and in fact if I were to book the same cruise today it is $300 cheaper for the two of us.

Saucygertie

I never realized that Princess has a cancellation fee when you book on a promotion. When I went to cancel a 15 day Hawaii for October 14, 2015 they charged me a $200 cancellation fee. I have never had to pay a cancellation fee before and I was very surprised. I guess we have to be very careful when booking a promotion and in fact if I were to book the same cruise today it is $300 cheaper for the two of us.

Saucygertie

Is it possible that you had put down a non-refundable deposit. Then it would not really be a cancellation fee.

Yes, you really need to understand the fine print or these things happen.

PS it is not all that uncommon to raise prices for a promotion, then after it is over go back down.

I agree. I suspect this was a non-refundable deposit rather than a cancellation fee. Princess doesn't normally charge a cancellation fee before final payment although there are some promotions that state in the small print that the deposit is non-refundable. A good TA would have warned you.

There are some promos that have non refundable deposits, usually it is those promos that have reduced $100pp deposits. Is this your case? Princess always notifies you "IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS BOOKING" in CAPS any time there is a non-refundable deposit.

Saucygertie sorry that you lost your money which as 'hpeabody' said was likely your deposit & not a cancellation fee.

Many of their sales promotions come with a nonrefundable nontransferable deposit which is lost when canceling. It's listed in the terms & conditions and apparently your booking source didn't mention it either. When having this limitation it is also stated on my booking confirmation.

Thanks for sharing your situation which hopefully will help others who are also unaware of the nonrefundable nontransferable deposits on many Princess sales promotions.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've only booked a non-refundable deposit one time but I was well aware of it when I did so. It's important to know what you are purchasing. This is an unfortunate way to learn a lesson but at least it's not horribly expensive.