Buying Alcohol on Ship Options, My First Cruise Next Month

NorthForkPayette

I'm a little confused at the alcohol options. I know you can buy the all inclusive package and you can buy drinks at the bar for somewhat reasonable pricing. I'm more curious about the Cruise Gifts and Services "Spirits" pricing shown here at the bottom of the page. http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Can I buy bottles at that pricing all day long on the ship? Are you limited to how many bottles? Are there other options to buying bottles on the ship? It looks like it would have to be consumed in my room? Anything else I should know?

$23 for a 375ml of Crown doesn't seem all that bad. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks

I'm a little confused at the alcohol options. I know you can buy the all inclusive package and you can buy drinks at the bar for somewhat reasonable pricing. I'm more curious about the Cruise Gifts and Services "Spirits" pricing shown here at the bottom of the page. http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Can I buy bottles at that pricing all day long on the ship? Are you limited to how many bottles? Are there other options to buying bottles on the ship? It looks like it would have to be consumed in my room? Anything else I should know?

$23 for a 375ml of Crown doesn't seem all that bad. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks

You are interpreting it correctly. Yes, you can order these from room service as many times as you want.

It is intended for consuming in your cabin, but if you walk out of a cabin with some in a glass there is no problem.

A ship's boutique will also sell alcohol, but it is only for taking home and will be delivered to your cabin the last evening so you can pack it. These bottles will be a much better buy.

That surprises me it's that reasonable. I swear I was missing something and couldn't find the catch. In Idaho all liquor stores are state owned and run so no deals. I pay $35/750ml of Crown all day long here.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to bring a big empty cup with a lid :)

Edited by NorthForkPayette

The small (375ml) bottle that you can "gift" yourself have to be ordered prior to departure. There will be a voucher in your cabin that you can redeem through room service. There's nothing to stop you from gifting yourself with as many of those bottles that you think you'll need during your cruise, :D however you do have to pre-pay in advance. If you purchase additional bottles onboard, I believe the cost is higher from the onboard room service menu.

Technically, they are supposed to be for consumption in your cabin, however there's really nothing to stop you from pouring a drink and wandering out on deck or around the ship carrying it.

The small (375ml) bottle that you can "gift" yourself have to be ordered prior to departure. There will be a voucher in your cabin that you can redeem through room service. There's nothing to stop you from gifting yourself with as many of those bottles that you think you'll need during your cruise, :D however you do have to pre-pay in advance. If you purchase additional bottles onboard, I believe the cost is higher from the onboard room service menu.

Technically, they are supposed to be for consumption in your cabin, however there's really nothing to stop you from pouring a drink and wandering out on deck or around the ship carrying it.

That's very helpful, thank you!

How much more money are we talking per bottle in regards to buying more after departure? Rough estimate is fine. $5 more, $10, etc?

That surprises me it's that reasonable. I swear I was missing something and couldn't find the catch. In Idaho all liquor stores are state owned and run so no deals. I pay $35/750ml of Crown all day long here.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to bring a big empty cup with a lid :)

I hear you! Here in B.C. all our liquor stores are govt controlled and we pay taxes through the teeth on all booze. I can buy a bottle of Crown Royal cheaper in Washington State and it's made in Canada!!! :eek:

I take a wide-mouth refillable 20 oz. Rubbermade water bottle with me when I travel. I use it to fill it from the water fountain in the airport once I'm through security, so I'm hydrated on my flight, plus I use it for a different kind of hydration :D when I get onboard the ship...

That's very helpful, thank you!

How much more money are we talking per bottle in regards to buying more after departure? Rough estimate is fine. $5 more, $10, etc?

I could be wrong or getting Princess mixed up with another cruise line I recently sailed (and I'm sure that if I am, someone will chime in...) but I believe that the bottles you can buy through Room Service onboard are about $5 more, PLUS there's an automatic 15% gratuity added to the price.

In my experience, there's no difference between ordering in advance and ordering on the ship. There's one caveat: If you order it on the ship before you leave your embarkation port, you will pay the applicable tax (California, Florida, whatever). If you order it at sea, you will not. But you will not pay more after the cruise has started than you did before it began.

I think of affordable bottle prices as one of the reasons to like Princess. Most other major cruise lines charge somewhere around 4 times what you'd pay at home for a bottle of whatever. Princess charges about 2 times what I'm used to at home, which is reasonable for a cruise ship.

I usually order one in advance ($17 for a 375 of Jim Beam), then replenish as necessary (at the same price).

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

In my experience, there's no difference between ordering in advance and ordering on the ship. There's one caveat: If you order it on the ship before you leave your embarkation port, you will pay the applicable tax (California, Florida, whatever). If you order it at sea, you will not. But you will not pay more after the cruise has started than you did before it began.

I think of affordable bottle prices as one of the reasons to like Princess. Most other major cruise lines charge somewhere around 4 times what you'd pay at home for a bottle of whatever. Princess charges about 2 times what I'm used to at home, which is reasonable for a cruise ship.

I usually order one in advance ($17 for a 375 of Jim Beam), then replenish as necessary (at the same price).

Jim

All great points. I'll preorder one or two and go from there I think. I figured all cruises were the same prices. I almost booked Carnival and noticed their prices are outrageous. $85 for a 750ml of Crown. Glad I booked Princess. I shouldn't be too picky, I won this cruise with airfare for 2. I'll be celebrating on the ship and enjoying my R and R.

Thanks for all your help!

I figured all cruises were the same prices. I almost booked Carnival and noticed their prices are outrageous. $85 for a 750ml of Crown. Glad I booked Princess.

I think one reason for booze being more expensive on Carnival is because many of their passengers consume much more alcohol than on Princess. By charging more they probably reduce consumption & have fewer injured passengers. Carnival recently changed their policy to not allow liquids (except for one 750ml bottle of wine per adult) to be brought onboard including water & soda. Too many passengers found ways to put booze in water & soda containers and to make them appear to be sealed that they now prohibit them. I'm not seeking a debate about why the changes were made but only that they are changing.

A friend is currently cruising Celebrity and he was surprised to discover that the cheapest bottle of wine was $40 unlike Princess who has it as cheap as $24 (plus 15% tip on both cruise lines like all drinks purchased on the ship). :)

Carnival recently changed their policy to not allow liquids (except for one 750ml bottle of wine per adult) to be brought onboard including water & soda.

Actually Carnival will not allow liquids in bottles. They will allow liquids in cans such as sodas in limited quantities.

Thanks for the tips regarding wandering out of your room. I was thinking of buying the beverages and more package and a bottle for the room to spike "mocktails" for day drinking. At night I'll probably purchase a drink or two in the bars. I'll be on the Lido deck so it won't be far to take the mocktails to my room. Will this be workable?

I'm glad to hear the drinking isn't as crazy as on Carnival. My only other big ship type cruise was a three day Carnival cruise to Ensenada--I felt like I had landed in the middle of a frat party.

So I guess this may vary from ship to ship?

I will be on the Emerald in August and see no way to purchase a bottle of spirits. I only see the option to order bottles of wine, or the 5 for 4 beer package.

SO it looks like you have to actually call, or fax your order in. No way to do it on line?

Edited by Vegastime

I will be on the Emerald in August and see no way to purchase a bottle of spirits. I only see the option to order bottles of wine, or the 5 for 4 beer package.

SO it looks like you have to actually call, or fax your order in. No way to do it on line?

Around the middle of the page

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/?zoom_highlight=soda+and+more

Must call or FAX

Actually Carnival will not allow liquids in bottles. They will allow liquids in cans such as sodas in limited quantities.

Thanks...I should have refreshed my memory before posting.

"Passengers will still be able to bring limited amounts of soda or juice onboard, as long as the drinks are packaged in cans or cartons; a 12-pack per person is the current allowance".

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6398

Just call them. It's toll free so why not? As for the people saying it's more onboard as compared to buying in advance I don't think that's true at all. I've done both and it seemed to be the exact same price. I'm from California so the pricing is not a deal for me but the real problem I have with it is the truly horrible selection available for in room purchase. I like Scotch and all they offer is Cutty Sark (GAH!) and Johnny Walker Red (GAH!). The red is better than the Cutty but both are pretty darn bad Scotch!

I am convinced that the horrible selection is one of the reasons people try to smuggle liquor onboard. Princess really ought to offer the option to purchase a decent brand of liquor for in room consumption. I just buy it in the bars but it would be very nice to be able to have it in my cabin.

I have not prepurchased a bottle of alcohol or purchased one onboard. But coffee cards are a better deal when prepurchased as are the beer 6 packs. So I would be surprised if there wasn't a saving when prepurchasing a bottle.

Terry

I have not prepurchased a bottle of alcohol or purchased one onboard. But coffee cards are a better deal when prepurchased as are the beer 6 packs. So I would be surprised if there wasn't a saving when prepurchasing a bottle.

Terry

The loophole that resulted in coffee cards being cheaper in advance was closed several months ago & it now cost the same $33.35 as when purchased on the ship.

Café Selects Coffee Card

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

Item #2403 $33.35

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just call them. It's toll free so why not? As for the people saying it's more onboard as compared to buying in advance I don't think that's true at all. I've done both and it seemed to be the exact same price. I'm from California so the pricing is not a deal for me but the real problem I have with it is the truly horrible selection available for in room purchase. I like Scotch and all they offer is Cutty Sark (GAH!) and Johnny Walker Red (GAH!). The red is better than the Cutty but both are pretty darn bad Scotch!

I am convinced that the horrible selection is one of the reasons people try to smuggle liquor onboard. Princess really ought to offer the option to purchase a decent brand of liquor for in room consumption. I just buy it in the bars but it would be very nice to be able to have it in my cabin.

I totally agree with you. I think most people have their brand of choice and they like to stick to that. If it's offered they would happily pay for it (specially at these prices) but since it's not offered they will smuggle and I don't blame them. I'm not too picky but I would appreciate better variety. Up the variety and you will increase sales, seems simple.

I can look this up and I do plan to call Princess just to make sure all my ducks are in a row but how much canned soda can one person bring on? Does it have to be carried on or checked?

Can anyone think of anything else I should bring with me to save from buying it more expensive on the ship?

Thanks,

If you're in the "Onboard Reservations" section of your Cruise Personalizer, you're right. They don't show their entire list of offerings there. You will have to do it the old-fashioned way via form & fax. Or through your TA.

Edited by avcruz

Thanks for the tips regarding wandering out of your room. I was thinking of buying the beverages and more package and a bottle for the room to spike "mocktails" for day drinking. At night I'll probably purchase a drink or two in the bars. I'll be on the Lido deck so it won't be far to take the mocktails to my room. Will this be workable?

Definitely workable - virgin pina colada from drinks package + Bacardi White from cabin = tropical bliss.:D

I can look this up and I do plan to call Princess just to make sure all my ducks are in a row but how much canned soda can one person bring on? Does it have to be carried on or checked?

No limit. Can either carry it on or if secure, have it checked.

My husband usually brings 3 x 2 litres of soda (he can't get coke zero on the ship) and they've never questioned him. The issue being overweight on your luggage if your flying in the same day as your cruise....

My husband usually brings 3 x 2 litres of soda (he can't get coke zero on the ship) and they've never questioned him. The issue being overweight on your luggage if your flying in the same day as your cruise....

Is there a weight limit for bags being checking onto the ship? We fly into Anchorage the day before so plenty of time to stack up on overpriced Alaska consumer goods. Likely not too far off from ship prices ha ha.