Multiple Questions for Amsterdam Sep 20 Alaska Sailing

trekie69

We were hoping that more experienced HAL cruisers would be able to answer several questions we have for an upcoming 7 day cruise to Alaska on board the Amsterdam. We've sailed HAL before, but only on repositioning cruises.

1)The International Cafe, in order to get food there, you must buy drinks/coffee, etc. But, with the Signature Beverage Package (SBP), I'm assuming that restriction goes away? And once we get nibbles for our table, can we share them with our guests who do NOT have the SBP package? I would guess yes, but just imagining the food police roaming about....

2)The aft pool and bar, during the late season are they open and are the hours restricted based on the weather (late season weather)?

3)Questions for the Pinnacle Grill and MDR: Can a suite passenger host non-suite passengers in the PG for breakfast? Also, can Mariner Society members host a new cruiser to the MDR for embarkation lunch?

Thanks to everyone for any helpful comments and/or hints!

We're looking forward to our first "real" HAL cruise!

I will answer #2 and #3.

Any open deck space is open based upon weather. However in cool weather, they don't close the aft pool, is just a lot of people don't prefer to use the area. If it is very rough or unsafe, then it will be closed.

No, you may not "host" non-suite pax into the Pinnacle for Suite breakfast. Hosting non- Mariner friends into the Welcome Aboard Lunch varies widely cruise to cruise. Some cruises only 4 and 5 star mariners get to eat lunch there.

Edited by CruiserBruce

OP asked about the International Café... If this is in reference to the Explorations Café coffee bar which also serves a few sweets and savories.... they will usually serve food requests even without purchase of a coffee/tea. I don't think that with a beverage package there would be an issue for obtaining snacks. Sharing the snack foods served from there shouldn't be an issue either.

But it is my understanding that obtaining coffees on a beverage package and then handing them to passengers without a beverage package is not allowed.

Edited by RMLincoln

Yes you can use your Signature Beverage Card at the Explorations Café to buy coffees and/or teas for yourself -- no sharing of the cards. You get to choose 1 snack -- sometimes 2. Some ships have a sign up that you must buy something to get a snack. Why don't your friends buy their own coffees/teas?

Many ships have now moved to a system where your Signature Beverage Card is linked to your ID -- thus you can't pass the card around.

On the Amsterdam all PS and Neptune Suite passengers have breakfast on the upper level of the main dining room -- starboard side (not in the Pinnacle). On that ship we used to have breakfast in the King's Room which is now a storage room.

OP asked about the International Café... If this is in reference to the Explorations Café coffee bar which also serves a few sweets and savories.... they will usually serve food requests even without purchase of a coffee/tea. I don't think that with a beverage package there would be an issue for obtaining snacks. Sharing the snack foods served from there shouldn't be an issue either.

But it is my understanding that obtaining coffees on a beverage package and then handing them to passengers without a beverage package is not allowed.

RMLincoln, you're absolutely correct, I meant Explorations but I was mentally comparing that to the IC on Princess ships.

And I should have made clear that I did not intend to hand bev package drinks to my guests, they would be buying their own drinks. But in the course of moving about the ship, they may not buy their current drink in Explorations, I want to make sure that no one would mind if my spouse or I (we both have the bev package) get drinks and snacks and then share the SNACKS with our friends.

Thanks to all for the responses.

RMLincoln, you're absolutely correct, I meant Explorations but I was mentally comparing that to the IC on Princess ships.

And I should have made clear that I did not intend to hand bev package drinks to my guests, they would be buying their own drinks. But in the course of moving about the ship, they may not buy their current drink in Explorations, I want to make sure that no one would mind if my spouse or I (we both have the bev package) get drinks and snacks and then share the SNACKS with our friends.

Thanks to all for the responses.

IMO there is a significant difference between the two.

The snacks offered in the Explorations Cafe are extremely limited in scope (more like nibbles) compared to the variety of food offered in the IC on Princess where you can put together a decent light breakfast or lunch. The IC is one of our favorite places to get good food quickly and avoid the buffet. The Explorations Cafe is great for specialty coffees and teas and not so much for food.

We just recently (end of May) came off of a 3 day cruise on the Amsterdam. It's a nice ship, and you will have a great time. Since all of your questions seem to have been answered, I will just wish you a great trip.

I cannot say if it is the same on all trips, but the Lido Buffet on our trip was never very crowded and was a great place to grab snacks.

We just got off a Alaska 7 day cruise on the Amsterdam. There was no embarkation lunch (do not know why) but they had a reception only later (I think the next day- we did not go). Also do not know if it was only for 3 & 4 stars as we are 4. This cruise the suite breakfast was in the Pinnacle Grill. I have never gotten any snacks from the Exploration Cafe but always thought they were free. Hope this helps.