QM2 re-fit announced

AstroExeter

I was hoping that the refit would include the absolutely essential removal of Todd English and his awful restaurant from the QM2 and replacement with Verandah as was done on Queen Victoria.

Something needed far more than kennel fix ups

Sadly it appears to not be part of the refit

I was hoping that the refit would include the absolutely essential removal of Todd English and his awful restaurant from the QM2 and replacement with Verandah as was done on Queen Victoria.

This is only the first announcement, it may very well be part of the plans.

I was thinking the same. If there was ever an over-rated restaurant, it was T.E.

See post #8 where the entire press release was posted, including this statement: "These enhancements are just the beginning of an exciting revitalisation for Queen Mary 2, and we look forward to making more announcements about this impressive refit in the coming months...”

Hi,

It would be great if they converted Todd English to a Verandah Restaurant (I enjoyed these aboard the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Victoria). Cunard could use design elements from the original Queen Mary's Verandah Grill (similar to the decor in the current Queen Elizabeth's Verandah Restaurant).

Chuck

Why are all the comments about Todd English so derogatory?

Is the ambiance (bathing suit clad passengers walking through)?

My daughter and I actually prefer the wonderful food to the food in the 2 Verandah restaurants on the QE and QV.

Edith!!!!

How are you? Seavoyager6 formerly

My opinion is based on my 10 or so voyages on QM2. On the maiden TA in April 04, TE was new and exciting and good.

Each succeeding visit,.we found the same exact and beginning to get stale and dated menu and choices

On our last TA,.the 10th anniversary in 2014, lunch at TE was a disaster. Half the items on the printed menu were unavailable, the ones that were were badly prepared and the service awful. I avoid the buffet whenever I can, but longed for a visit there instead of TE.

When QV converted to Verandah I began to hope it would also happen on the Cunard flagship. And thanks to CC and bell boy, it appears that it may finally happen in.2016

I'm onboard QM2 and I can assure everyone that we are in for a very very big surprise ! re 'Kings Court'.

Kings Court is certainly is going to have a big major refit .....This morning I've just been fortunate to have a sneak preview of some of the artist's impressions , and it looks fantastic !!!

I was told that Cunard will,at later date ( after they have gotten over the 175 celebrations) release more details and artist's impressions of all the areas of the makeover/ refit.

:)

Exciting! We are travelling next July after the refit and with three sons with hollow legs, the buffet is going to be a frequently visited part of a ship for us! I swear my eldest just eats nonstop when on holiday.

Edith!!!!

How are you? Seavoyager6 formerly

My opinion is based on my 10 or so voyages on QM2. On the maiden TA in April 04, TE was new and exciting and good.

Each succeeding visit,.we found the same exact and beginning to get stale and dated menu and choices

On our last TA,.the 10th anniversary in 2014, lunch at TE was a disaster. Half the items on the printed menu were unavailable, the ones that were were badly prepared and the service awful.

OK, please refresh an old lady's memory and tell me which voyage we were both on.

I have slept since then (whenever that was)! LOL!

We have reservations on the QM2 in October, 2015. TA to Soton and Hamburg and then back to NYC. First time for my son on the QM2 and first time in Hamburg for all 3 of us.

We "jumped ship" last September and went on the HAL Westerdam to Alaska. First time for all 3 also: HAL and Alaska.

What I do know for sure is that Carnival is committed to spending a lot of money on QM2's refit.

This past week I was part of a focus group brought in by a marketing company hired by Cunard. We were presented with proposed redesigns that included the schematics and samples of the colors and textures to be used. We were asked what we liked, didn't like, and why... and did it have a "Cunard Signature".

Now I'm sure there are other focus groups, and I have no idea if these other groups were presented with the same designs or something entirely different. But clearly there is an intense effort to get passenger feedback before making a huge financial commitment. And Cunard is well aware that after 12 years of service she's worn and banged up.

The 2011 refit mostly replaced soft furnishings. This refit will involve dramatic renewal of staterooms and deck 7. (And likely more that wasn't included for feedback from our group.) If what I saw gets implemented, after this refit you're going to see QM2 restored to the luster she had when she entered service.

Edited by BlueRiband

I also had a call about a focus group but alas, the young lady asked first if I was Britannia or Grill. I’ve only been in Grill (Princess) once a few years ago so I was a no go because they had enough Britannia pax and were looking for Grill folks-DRAT!:(

Participation in a focus group like this is a ship lover's dream: A chance to give opinions on the future of the vessel and be compensated for the time.

Yes, I'm booked for late 2016 but now I'll see if I can squeeze in an additional sailing post-refit. I'm anxious to see what actually does get implemented compared to the proposals we were shown.

The 2011 refit mostly replaced soft furnishings. This refit will involve dramatic renewal of staterooms and deck 7. (And likely more that wasn't included for feedback from our group.) If what I saw gets implemented, after this refit you're going to see QM2 restored to the luster she had when she entered service.

I don't envy the refit planners their task - no matter what they end up doing someone will not be content.

I will be interested to hear about the deck 7 changes - we attempted lunch in KC on embarkation day and for a short time I thought I'd made a bad mistake booking the TA. Luckily a beer in the Golden Lion saved the day and the rest of the crossing pretty much met expectation - we did not go back to KC.

(Yes i know that buffet lunch of day one is worst scenario ... But first impressions matter)

What I do know for sure is that Carnival is committed to spending a lot of money on QM2's refit.

This past week I was part of a focus group brought in by a marketing company hired by Cunard. We were presented with proposed redesigns that included the schematics and samples of the colors and textures to be used. We were asked what we liked, didn't like, and why... and did it have a "Cunard Signature".

Now I'm sure there are other focus groups, and I have no idea if these other groups were presented with the same designs or something entirely different. But clearly there is an intense effort to get passenger feedback before making a huge financial commitment. And Cunard is well aware that after 12 years of service she's worn and banged up.

Are you able to give us some ideas on these colors and material?? I hope the silly Shanks coffee cake carpets and such are thrown out

I'm beginning to think I'm a minority of one but I far prefer King's Court to QE & QV with both sides of the buffet the same. There was a choice of six different stations this last week which is something that is never seen on the other Queens. Yes it can be a mess and it is outdated but if you are a family group, a friendly group, a group of teenagers looking for somewhere to sit and talk the night away even, the ability that KC has to move tables around, have quiet places, etc. is really good.

Said this, with a deep breath for courage, to Nick and he said the seating and such was all to change but he could guarantee that the choice of food that is always available in KC (compared to the sister ships) would remain and that he will be with her in dry dock to oversee all kitchen/eating details

I'm not under any confidentiality agreement but still hesitant to say what it might be because anything can change between now and the actual refit. As mentioned, I cannot know how many different groups reviewed this and if those groups were presented with the same designs or something entirely different.

Yes, the "coffee cake" carpets will be gone. I saw an entire remake of some staterooms including the bath, closets, walls, and furniture. Kings Court is to be gutted and entirely rebuilt with a change of traffic flow. One of the reasons that it's "Kings Chaos" is that there are too many entry points. The vast majority see the current state of KC as a weak point and embarrassment to the ship. (I guess this will be an example of Cunard being unable to please everyone, as those who like it just the way it is will see it go in its present form.)

We did see sample boards of the actual materials to be used. Everything looked refined and not cheap. The Winter Garden will actually have a purpose for something other than Canyon Ranch demos.

Proposed meal services and menus were also presented to us.

Our group did not discuss any of the public areas outside of deck 7. We had two hours and a "focus" group is meant to give in-depth feedback on a limited number of areas. It's unlikely any of us will get a repeat invitation. Usually these groups are "one and done" so that bias, influence, or personal agendas don't get injected into the evaluation.

Edited by BlueRiband

I'm not under any confidentiality agreement but still hesitant to say what it might be because anything can change between now and the actual refit. As mentioned, I cannot know how many different groups reviewed this and if those groups were presented with the same designs or something entirely different.

Yes, the "coffee cake" carpets will be gone. I saw an entire remake of some staterooms including the bath, closets, walls, and furniture. Kings Court is to be gutted and entirely rebuilt with a change of traffic flow. One of the reasons that it's "Kings Chaos" is that there are too many entry points. The vast majority see the current state of KC as a weak point and embarrassment to the ship. (I guess this will be an example of Cunard being unable to please everyone, as those who like it just the way it is will see it go in its present form.)

We did see sample boards of the actual materials to be used. Everything looked refined and not cheap. The Winter Garden will actually have a purpose for something other than Canyon Ranch demos.

Proposed meal services and menus were also presented to us.

Our group did not discuss any of the public areas outside of deck 7. We had two hours and a "focus" group is meant to give in-depth feedback on a limited number of areas. It's unlikely any of us will get a repeat invitation. Usually these groups are "one and done" so that bias, influence, or personal agendas don't get injected into the evaluation.

Interesting and very informative post. Thank you for shedding some light on the mystery.

I have sailed many times on Queen Mary 2, but where are the coffee cake carpets? Is that the Q design carpet in the staterooms or that dreadful carpet in the Veuve Cliquot Bar?

PS. Any word on the Britannia sofas?

Thanks.

Given how much nicer the Theatre is on Queen Elizabeth, with it's Private Boxes, old fashioned theatre styling and unobstructed views. Do we think we'll see major works in Queen Mary 2's Royal Court Theatre?

Illuminations needs its seats fixing, but that aside it's lovely as it is.

Given how much nicer the Theatre is on Queen Elizabeth, with it's Private Boxes, old fashioned theatre styling and unobstructed views. Do we think we'll see major works in Queen Mary 2's Royal Court Theatre?

Illuminations needs its seats fixing, but that aside it's lovely as it is.

I'm afraid not. No major refit in that area as it's not on the agenda , only a refresh of carpets and fabrics etc.

:)