QM2 re-fit announced

AstroExeter

Thanks Host Hattie.

I remember when we returned from the cruise that the survey we filled out asked several questions related to a dry dock and some centered around the Kings Court so I just thought they were looking hard at that one and maybe they still are.

Keith

What do board members think are the chances that the infamous love seat/couches in the cabins will be replaced during the refit? They were supposed to be replaced during the 201 refit and then were going to be progressively replaced after that. Last time I was on board QM2 they were still there, at least in the 2 cabins I had. It would be nice to see nice, new furnishings. :)

What do board members think are the chances that the infamous love seat/couches in the cabins will be replaced during the refit? They were supposed to be replaced during the 201 refit and then were going to be progressively replaced after that. Last time I was on board QM2 they were still there, at least in the 2 cabins I had. It would be nice to see nice, new furnishings. :)

The sofas are still there. The one in our cabin was a sleeper, but since we didn't need it I have no idea what the condition of the mattress is. The thing about these sofas is, whether you like the look of them or not, the upholstery is amazingly sturdy, so they don't look shabby, at least not the ones we've had. If they don't look worn, Cunard will probably leave them in place.

Something we did notice this time is that many of the chairs in KC and Britannia dining room need rewebbing and new padding, even though the fabric looked OK. Some that I sat on sank in so badly that I was sitting on the frame of the seat. (Please, no jokes about weight gain on a cruise!)

I was curious. I have only sailed the QM2 once and we loved it but I would have thought that the Kings Court was in need to be updated. Were people surprised that it was not listed?

Just wondering.....Keith

You are not alone Keith. Whilst everyone on this site appears to be in ecstacy about additional cabins and space for 10 more kennels no-one seems to be concerned that the King's Court buffet area has been a design disaster since the ship's launch in 2004. At times it resembles rush-hour at a motorway service station. Never mind more dog kennels, Cunard should make this a top priority as it's been a source of complaint for the past eleven years. Is it on the agenda? We live in hope.

I was curious. I have only sailed the QM2 once and we loved it but I would have thought that the Kings Court was in need to be updated. Were people surprised that it was not listed?

Just wondering.

Keith

From what we heard on board they are to completely gut Deck 7, new grills, new kings court, and a repurposed winter garden

I'm sure more will come out as the months go by. Also heard the glass elevators were being removed

Edited by avalon1025

.. Also heard the glass elevators were being removed

Which glass elevators? Hopefully not the outside forward ones running from decks 7 to 11.

The other glass elevators are the two that run from the grand lobby to Kings Court. It kind of made sense when the glass floor was in place and therefore a visual link. Now it's incongruous to be transported from an elegant lobby to a cafeteria.

Which glass elevators? Hopefully not the outside forward ones running from decks 7 to 11.

The other glass elevators are the two that run from the grand lobby to Kings Court. It kind of made sense when the glass floor was in place and therefore a visual link. Now it's incongruous to be transported from an elegant lobby to a cafeteria.

The external ones. But again, on board officer talk...

Edited by avalon1025

Must admit I love the glass outside lifts, a quick route from deck 7 to 11 at sailaways, and not many people know where the lifts are. Having been on both QV and QM2 in the last month I was surprised how well Kings Court managed to accommodate all those using it especially as on a couple of nights sailaways coincided with late dining in Britannia and everyone ended up in Kings Court and Britannia was almost empty. There was always space to sit and eat which was not the case on the QV a month or so earlier. In the lido many people were moving between the hot line and cold line and then back again coupled with others using it as a thoroughfare, general chaos, and then once we had a our meal on the tray we often ended up in the Winter Garden at the low tables as there was no where else to sit.

In the past I have criticised KC but compared to the lido on QV it is quite calm. I'm not saying it wouldn't benefit from a tidy up and new furniture, but given that much of KC is around the engine exhaust flues as they go up to the funnel there's not a lot that can be done in that area

Kings Court would be greatly improved by the reintroduction of trays (they were available on QV), which would mean diners could carry more than one plate at a time, and the introduction of a drinks trolley service, both of which would reduce the number of visits a passenger would need to make to the counters.

The press release about the QM2 refit is now available on the U.S. web site (cunard.com).

http://www.cunard.com/cunard-experience/media-centre/press-releases/cunard-flagship-queen-mary-2-to-undergo-major-refurbishment-in-early-summer-2016-befitting-the-worlds-most-iconic-ocean-liner-/

This page includes this diagram of the floor plan for the single staterooms.

single%20stateroom.JPG

Regards,

John

That's a huge stateroom for a Solo Traveller! That looks like it'll be going in the passage under the Britannia Restaurant?

My wife and were contemplating Southampton - New York then 14 nights Canada this year as a special for our Ruby Anniversary.This would have cost money that we cannot throw around.We decided earlier in the year to do a four night as a look see.

In my oppinion the King Court was an absolute shambles and tatty,as were some other areas of the ship,sorry QM2 stalwarts.We are entitled to our oppinion

We decided to leave the cruise until 2016 after the refit.

We think it was a sensible decision and are looking forward to the results.

Rodger.

Edited by foster269

I'm onboard QM2 and I can assure everyone that we are in for a very very big surprise ! re 'Kings Court'.

Kings Court is certainly is going to have a big major refit .....This morning I've just been fortunate to have a sneak preview of some of the artist's impressions , and it looks fantastic !!!

I was told that Cunard will,at later date ( after they have gotten over the 175 celebrations) release more details and artist's impressions of all the areas of the makeover/ refit.

:)

While some of the refit plans are welcome a few are terrible..I hate the locations of the new single cabins and the loss of public space..and Im surprised the added deck was not some kind of ultra-suite style as that seems all the rage in today newbuilds...QM2s once unmatched Q1-2s are now surpassed by a number of new ships...

While some of the refit plans are welcome a few are terrible..I hate the locations of the new single cabins and the loss of public space..and Im surprised the added deck was not some kind of ultra-suite style as that seems all the rage in today newbuilds...QM2s once unmatched Q1-2s are now surpassed by a number of new ships...
What I would like to know is why not put the single cabins on Deck 13 where there is plenty of open air space available? Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

I think they are going to be putting large flat screens in the rooms like they have on QE,would also be nice if they could do something about the poor picture quality as well as the programmes shown.

A wi fi upgrade would also be nice.

If the Dogs are getting a Lamp post I want HD TV;)

That's a huge stateroom for a Solo Traveller! That looks like it'll be going in the passage under the Britannia Restaurant?

My first reaction when I saw that diagram was that they made the single stateroom look bigger than a basic Queen's Grill suite. The last time I looked at the Princess Grill diagram on-line it also looked much bigger than it really is.

As one who almost never uses Kings Court (the self-serve ice cream is hard to resist every second day or so) I am amused at the huge number of negative comments. If you are going to forego the elegance of the dining room, what do you expect of what is essentially a cafeteria? It was only on our sixth voyage on the QM2 that we had a light early lunch there and it didn't seem so bad. Of course, it was 80% empty at that time. The food was good although I missed the fine china and silver cutlery. On a recent Alaska cruise on Holland America, as previous "guests" we were invited to an embarkation lunch in the main dining room. I wish Cunard would offer this benefit as we can't always travel in the Grills.

Although I couldn't care less about Kings Court I would like to see the potentially dangerous pot-holes repaired.

We saw the door marked 'Kennel' on QM2 when we were on the fall colors cruise. I was intrigued then as I am now....is this for TA crossings only?

If we take our dogs along, will we have to do a b2b to get them home without having to fly? We've always wished we could take our 2 little pooches along on our cruises.

Yes, the kennels are only used for crossings. Loved the comment about the lamppost & fire hydrant !
If this is something you might seriously consider, you should become familiar with the information at this website:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners