My take on Princess stateroom categories

tetleytea

I have a question about the number of stateroom categories. We always use an online TA that sends us an email each week listing prices for guaranteed cabins; inside, outside, balcony, and suite. As an example, an outside might be $900, an inside $1200, a balcony $1500 and a suite $2400. I wonder how many actual categories there are. For example, is there a $950 inside, a $995 inside, a $1050 inside, etc? We usually decide between an outside or inside and are always upgraded within that category to something better than the lowest category. And if we paid for the $900 inside and got the $1050 inside, I wonder who got the $900 one and why?

Number of categories in each type will vary by ship. Using the Regal as an example:

6 inside categories

0 oceanview categories

10 balcony categories (4 of these obstructed view)

10 deluxe balcony categories (4 of these obstructed view)

6 mini-suite categories

3 full-suite categories

Within a category, the pricing depends on location, at least as seen from Princess' view. In general, middle of the ship is better than forward or aft, higher is better than lower. (Rear facing and front facing cabins also are seen as better locations.) Again, this is in Princess view.

In general, the inside size of cabins (other than full suites) is about the same within each type of cabin. (Handicapped accessible cabins will be larger.)

So, who, in your example, would take the $900 cabin? Someone who wants that cabin type and likes or does not mind the location.

(In your example, you had the inside costing 33% more than an outside. Outsides will be priced higher than insides unless they are not selling well.)

This thread made me think of one of the funniest questions I've read on CC.

Someone wanted to know if they booked the least expensive inside, would

the crew bother him if he slept on the Promenade deck every night, because he couldn't stand being in an inside for any extended length of time.

A few of the comments were--they would make you leave because they clean the deck at night. If they noticed you sleeping out there every night, the crew would think you were casing a place to jump.

the crew bother him if he slept on the Promenade deck every night, because he couldn't stand being in an inside for any extended length of time.

A few of the comments were--they would make you leave because they clean the deck at night. If they noticed you sleeping out there every night, the crew would think you were casing a place to jump.

Now, that's funny!:D Wish I had seen that thread.

Since my DH has become more dependent on a transport chair for getting around the ship, I have booked more balconies, but only because it is easier for me to spend some time outside without leaving him alone in the cabin. Still, I only book a balcony when I get a good deal and would much rather be up on deck or running around the ship than on a balcony. Life changes and I'm thrilled that we still travel as much as we do considering our limitations.

That was my idea for stowing away for an extra week. Use the washrooms and showers in the gym to keep clean. Sleep somewhere on deck. Always use the buffet. LOL.