Jackets and Dancing

frsimon

What makes you think that ladies who chose to wear long dresses on formal nights do not wear proper dance shoes? I can assure you that my DW always wears her dance shoes with her long dresses and has yet to fall to the dance floor in the Queens Room. (However, on the QM2 the dance floor in the QR is usually so packed with dancers on formal nights that there isn't room enough to fall :))

Bob

Here, here, I always wear my dance shoes with long dresses and have never fallen. I'm not the best dancer in the world being relative beginners but we will join in with most dances. And my husband will have his jacket on. He might get hot dancing but we then sit in the air conditioned raised areas (QV and QE) with a cool drink and quickly recover before our next attempt. In my experience very few men remove their jackets, even the amongst the really good dancers.

Jackets are relics of the Victorian age, along with chamberpots. I'm willing to play the dress code game until dancing starts, at which point the jacket comes off. I've never had the Fashion Police try to drag me out. (On formal nights, I do wear a vest which is somewhat dressy but allows freedom of movement.)

The late Alex Moore in "Ballroom Dancing" talking about men's dress for dancing, actually said that a true dance costume is hard to make, and described why regular jackets look like clown suits.

I think you will find it is American and Austrailian males who object to the dress code used by Cunard, I also think their ladies like to dress up.;)

Another thought has occurred to me. Can anybody not see the irony here? Even the slightest hint that Cunard are tampering with the dress code brings forth howls of outrage and indignation. People protest with cries of, ‘Cunard’s formality is why I cruise with them’. And, ‘It is what makes Cunard special.’ People are even advised to seek out another less formal vessel if they don't agree.

And yet, and yet, it would appear that all this goes by the board during the dancing in the Queens Room, probably the most formal space on the vessel after the restaurants. Sweat soaked jackets are cast off like clouts when May is out.

Sweat Soaked Jackets Indeed. Persiflsge! Balderdash! it is an air conditioned room on a modern ocean liner, not the African Queen. Ok,so it can get a little warm sometimes but for goodness sake it’s not the (insert jungle of choice) Jungle. Water is to hand as are other cooling beverages.

I notice that the Gentlemen hosts keep their jackets on and they dance virtually every dance all night and I have yet to see any of them collapsing with heat stroke crying 'Water! Water!' as the strains of the last waltz die away.

Although, in the interest of fairness, there is a point to the contrary which has just popped into my head. If one of those ladies who are absolutely bound to catch heel or toe in their long dress, (according to someone), then the presence of exposed braces could provide a means of succour by their graspability. And being elasticated would gently lower the lady to the ground safely. But she must remember to leave go at this point to avoid the bungy jump effect. Gives a whole new colour to the expression 'Man the Braces' does it not.

MM

I think you will find it is American and Austrailian males who object to the dress code used by Cunard, I also think their ladies like to dress up.;)
I believe you should have said SOME Americans and Australians males. I am American male and I am also one of those who chooses Cunard because we like the more formal Cunard Dress code. It could be that younger aged American and Australians (with "anything goes" attitude) are more likely to dislike the dress code. While there certainly are some older customers who dislike the Cunard dress code, they appear to be in the minority.

Bob

I believe you should have said SOME Americans and Australians males. I am American male and I am also one of those who chooses Cunard because we like the more formal Cunard Dress code. It could be that younger aged American and Australians (with "anything goes" attitude) are more likely to dislike the dress code. While there certainly are some older customers who dislike the Cunard dress code, they appear to be in the minority.

Bob

I apologize, the word should have been ' SOME' as you stated in your comment.;)

Sweat Soaked Jackets Indeed. Persiflsge! Balderdash! it is an air conditioned room on a modern ocean liner, not the African Queen. Ok,so it can get a little warm sometimes but for goodness sake it’s not the (insert jungle of choice) Jungle. Water is to hand as are other cooling beverages.

I notice that the Gentlemen hosts keep their jackets on and they dance virtually every dance all night and I have yet to see any of them collapsing with heat stroke crying 'Water! Water!' as the strains of the last waltz die away.

MM - Well, that's why I asked the question, having never been on a Cruise before, respecting the dress code but not knowing what it's like, and yet you dish out this withering reply. You could have phrased it a bit more nicely. Sarcasm isn't very becoming when it was quite frankly a simple question.

Fr. S

As you can see, you've certainly split opinion !

Have a great trip, please let us know whether you felt the need to remove your jacket and whether there was any adverse reaction (I very much doubt that there will be).

MM - Well, that's why I asked the question, having never been on a Cruise before, respecting the dress code but not knowing what it's like, and yet you dish out this withering reply. You could have phrased it a bit more nicely. Sarcasm isn't very becoming when it was quite frankly a simple question.

Fr. S

Frsimon, I'm quite sure Merry Maid was responding to other posters...not to your original question. :)

Fr. S

Here, here 😠

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob

It's not just the age thing: exposure and experience play a part as well. Men who have been more widely exposed to formal occasions, especially over some decades, seem batter able to remaining fully dressed than those experiencing one of their very few formal events.

It's also important to note that some people's personal thermostats are set at a different temperature! I have a friend who used to wear shorts even in winter time because he did not feel the cold. Hot weather can be a bit much for him. I know he prefers to adjust his clothing layers - only in his case he'll wear the Armani suit without the shirt in order to save on layers.

I personally sweat very easily and even though I only dance about every fourth dance, I can only buy dresses with short sleeves. I could not survive in a long-sleeved dress. Between dances I sit and fan myself. If I had to wear a jacket for the whole evening, I would be in trouble!

There must have been hundreds if not thousands of posts concerning Cunard’s dress code. Each faction having their own view often expressed rather forcefully Usually the OP has his/her question answered properly, politely and usually within the first 8-10 posts. Thereafter things do tend to drift a little with the supporters forming up on each side. Very often these exchanges can be amusing and an insight into people’s little foibles. We all have them after all. Sometimes, unfortunately it descends into bad tempered wrangling, but let’s not go into that, after all, we are Cunarders.

To the OP, if you thought my reply was directed at you I apologise, it was not. It was a response to the hyperbole generated by the thread.

Personally I think that anyone reading or starting a Dress Code Thread should have their ‘Sense of Humour’ setting tuned to ‘maximum’.

There IS an alternate reality folks and it’s name is Cunard.

Picks up sweat-soaked jacket and exits in search of Humphrey Bogart.

MM

We travel Cunard because we like dressing up and we love dancing. We are in QR every night, before and after dinner. And I tend to sweat a bit while dancing, especially if we have some room to move. There are times I would prefer not to wear the jacket as it traps heat.

I wear it on the dance floor, but take it off sometimes when seated so I can cool down a bit. Right before dinner when the room and the dance floor are empty I may dance without it. Same very late at night when the room and dance floor are mostly empty.

We love the idea of a formal crossing. The fantasy world of being in the 30's + 40's, dressing up, sipping champagne and dancing the night away. I assume other feels the same way, So I try not to spoil their fantasy just as I hope they don't spoil mine. And unfortunately for me, one who sweats, that means jacket on while on the floor.

Edited by Q-step

I do understand that Jackets are required on both formal and informal evenings, but can I take my jacket off while I am dancing? One can get quite hot...

Fr. Simon

I think one could get away with taking ones jacket off for the Paso Doble; instead of ones partner playing the part of the cape they could play the part of the bull. You could whisk your jacket away at the last minute as her tiara is just about to impale you. It would look very artistic but I think wearing a red tuxedo is over the top.

Regards John

I might add that as a female dancer I find dancing with my husband whilst he is wearing his tux not as comfortable as when he is not wearing a jacket as the shoulders of his jacket (not his shoulders) tend to rise when in hold and I find it a little off putting. However, I think he normally keeps his jacket on as long as possible but as a keen dancer who enjoys dancing all evening it does get hot for him. I'm sure at times he does remove his jacket and I would be v surprised if people were at all put out by this.

I think one could get away with taking ones jacket off for the Paso Doble; instead of ones partner playing the part of the cape they could play the part of the bull. You could whisk your jacket away at the last minute as her tiara is just about to impale you. It would look very artistic but I think wearing a red tuxedo is over the top.

Regards John

I always preferred paso where the woman was portrayed as the cape, not the bull.:)

Yes, I know MM's bungee cord was meant in jest, and twenty-somethings do bounce when you drop them. But I worry, ladies of Cunard's vintage, falling and breaking a hip is quite serious. Foxy, fantasy, Q-step- do you think I'm over-reacting? I realise it's going beyond what the OP asked, but you could re-phrase the question, "What sort of dancing should there be if jackets and long dresses are required?".

I realise it's going beyond what the OP asked, but you could re-phrase the question, "What sort of dancing should there be if jackets and long dresses are required?".
"Social Dancing".

I seriously doubt there will be any ladies wearing long dresses will be performing competitive style dancing on the Queens Room dance floor.

Yes, I know MM's bungee cord was meant in jest, and twenty-somethings do bounce when you drop them. But I worry, ladies of Cunard's vintage, falling and breaking a hip is quite serious. Foxy, fantasy, Q-step- do you think I'm over-reacting? I realise it's going beyond what the OP asked, but you could re-phrase the question, "What sort of dancing should there be if jackets and long dresses are required?".

Good point Dancer Bob, last time I danced in the Queens Room on QE I actually nipped back to the cabin and changed from my long evening dress to a knee length one as when stepping back caught my heel in my hem a few times and actually felt quite insecure which subsequently affected the quality of my dance steps, trepidation is not a good look!

Having said that the dress was a new one and quite floaty so that didn't help as I was also worried about ruining the dress. :D

Bob, I have fallen over two or three times on the dance floor, but it was nothing to do with long dresses. I think I was in short dresses or skirts each time. In general, the quality of dancing on Cunard cruises is such that a long dress won't matter. However, I have danced successfully in a long skirt with people who have pushed me to my limit and the only problem I encountered was the buckle on one pair of shoes (since discarded) catching on the hem of a skirt that was too long and ripping it. Those who know Paul Ritchie's style of dancing and long steps - I can keep up with him while wearing a long skirt and don't feel unsafe. On another cruise I danced with a Dance Host who was a professional dancer and tried to make me recall skills I had not used in 25 years. I was not aware of any problem from the long skirt

I am going on QV on 1 August, along with my dance teacher, so I shall see then how a long skirt affects our dancing. I am hoping to improve my skills of following his lead so that will be enough of a challenge. I had not thought of the long skirt as being an additional challenge because I had never found it to be a problem in the past. Ask me again in a month.