Sargassum in the Caribbean?

my3guys

Hello all, newbie here :o

Our family just returned from a week in Cancun and the amount of sargassum on the beach and in the water was unbelievable! We were unable to enjoy the beach because it was everywhere.

We are planning a cruise next summer on the Freedom of the Seas (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel) and I'm hoping someone who has recently visited these places can tell me whether or not the sargassum is bad there as well. I realize Mother Nature is in control, and I'm still a year out so things could change, but I'm hoping there will be at least one beach that is not in the "zone" and we can actually get into the water.

Thank you!

First of all, Sargassum is algae, and it won't hurt you in any way. Yes, it can be a little overwhelming in large mats, but just wade through it.

You may want to consider beaches facing away from the prevailing wind direction if you don't want to see wrack on the beach.

Sargassum serves as shade and habitat for lots of different sorts of aquatic critters, ranging from microscopic shrimp to large fish. Here's a link to some pictures. http://www.bigelow.org/bacteria/teach/data_orgs3.html

It is unusual to see the amounts in the Caribbean that have been present the last few years, but it can show up anywhere, depending on wind and currents.

Google 'Sargasso Sea' or take a look at this link (http://www.sargassoalliance.org/), and next time you see Sargassum, it should be cool, not annoying.

Enjoy your trip!

Wendy

(yes, I'm a biologist)

Hello all, newbie here :o

Our family just returned from a week in Cancun and the amount of sargassum on the beach and in the water was unbelievable! We were unable to enjoy the beach because it was everywhere.

We are planning a cruise next summer on the Freedom of the Seas (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel) and I'm hoping someone who has recently visited these places can tell me whether or not the sargassum is bad there as well. I realize Mother Nature is in control, and I'm still a year out so things could change, but I'm hoping there will be at least one beach that is not in the "zone" and we can actually get into the water.

Thank you!

Sargassum is all around the Caribbean. It's worse this year than years past, and theories abound on why - generally accepted it's due to somewhat higher ocean temps the last two or three years, with this year tracking cooler so far, so perhaps less next year. Who knows. It's mother nature. She does as she pleases. It is great for the sea life though, so it's not a bad thing.

However, whatever it may be like now has little to no bearing on what it may be like next year. Sort of like asking what the weather is now cuz you're taking a trip in a month or a year. Zero bearing on the future....just gotta hope for the best.

Edited by reedprincess

On every Caribbean cruise, at sea, we regularly see rafts and rafts of the stuff, which is where the sea life stays protected....thankfully, it hasn't been in the coastal waters...

I grew up in the Va. Beach/Chesapeake Bay area...and some summers, the water is clear...others, it's full of nasty, slimy green sea weed....awful feeling stuff....

It is what it is!

I don't think the places you mention are any more or less likely to have sargassum on the beaches. It's just one of those things that can happen from time to time. We go pretty regularly (usually a couple times a year) to beaches around Panama City Beach, FL. Some times the water is clear as can be, but we've had times when all sorts of different sea life was around the beach, from sargassum to jellyfish, sea slugs, Portugese man-o-war, etc. One time there were schools of manta rays all over the place. Freaked some people out, but I thought it was cool.

Anyway, the point is that we can't really tell you whether you'll encounter the same thing or not on your next trip, but I've never actually encountered large amounts of sargassum on any of my Caribbean cruise voyages (but you see some of it here and there), so I think chances are it will not be the same as you experienced in Cancun.

Thankfully, we have been lucky to not experience an extreme amount of the algae. I wouldn't enjoy wading through it and know I'd not be swimming. :(

To those who are educated in the subject, thank you for sharing your excellent information with us.

Edited by sail7seas