3 OZ alcohol on flights

topaz123

I have seen this question answered yes and no. Pretty hard to get a clear answer.

Can I carry onboard a flight, a 3oz bottle of alcohol? I have one I purchased on a previous flight but did not open.

Hard to get a definitive Yes or No..thaks

Will TSA let you bring them through? Most likely, yes.

Can you drink them on the plane? Legally, absolutely not. US Law - 14 CFR 121.575(a) states quite clearly: No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

So, you would be breaking the law if you drank it onboard. There's no arguing that point. It's pretty definitive.

Edited by Zach1213

OK..thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and take through the airport. That seems to be an odd regulation about consuming the alcohol....the airline that I purchased the 3oz container on a previous flight, does not allow me to consume the container on another of their flights.

OK..thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and take through the airport. That seems to be an odd regulation about consuming the alcohol....the airline that I purchased the 3oz container on a previous flight, does not allow me to consume the container on another of their flights.

Well, you didn't mention it was the same airline. In that case, it MIGHT not be an issue. I must say I have zero experience. If United is the certificate holder, and United served it, and you're on another United flight, it might be okay. But I don't know how to verify that.

We often purchase small (usually about 85 ml or 3.5 ounces) souvenir bottles of liquor as gifts. Since we only take carry on luggage they go into a quart Baggie. Never had a problem.

Edited by Viv0828

We often purchase small (usually about 85 ml or 3.5 ounces) souvenir bottles of liquor as gifts. Since we only take carry on luggage they go into a quart Baggie. Never had a problem.

85ml doesn't equal 3.5 ounces. 100ml equals about 3.38 ounces. The actual TSA policy limits liquids in your carry on to 100ml. Some legal containers will say 3.3oz on them.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Well, you didn't mention it was the same airline. In that case, it MIGHT not be an issue. I must say I have zero experience. If United is the certificate holder, and United served it, and you're on another United flight, it might be okay. But I don't know how to verify that.

I don't know how anyone could actually prove that they bought it on another flight by the same airline?? Plus - I believe that the intent of "being served" would mean the FA should open the bottle before giving it to you?? (I know..most don't).

I don't know how anyone could actually prove that they bought it on another flight by the same airline?? Plus - I believe that the intent of "being served" would mean the FA should open the bottle before giving it to you?? (I know..most don't).

This makes the most sense to me.