Where or what are the improvements?

Have any of you graduated from an accredited business college? Well, neither did I. i'm a blue collar guy, and if you all cant figure out what is going on, well get your head out of the sand...

NCL like a few other main stream lines are pushing away there core cruisers. They want Millennials, D.I.N.K.S. and the 40-60 crowd because they spend money. And NCL is adjusting there marketing to reflect that.

The very people who complain, are the exact demo they are looking to rid themselves of. WHY, you ask.... WAIT FOR IT---THEY DON'T SPEND ENOUGH MONEY ON BOARD. This is not hard to see, even HAL is changing focus as their marketing proves. HAL is now trying to be HIP...

Since i'm a simple guy, I like things to be explained very low brow...

If McDonalds only sold hamburgers. they would be out of business in six months. The ancillary revenue comes from, Coffee, breakfast, apple pies and soft drinks ect. So, how does that relate to NCL, great question. The very people they are pissing off are the ones who buy the cruises and spend little to no extra money once on board. They are only buying the hamburger and that's it.

Like any other company the cruise lines are top heavy. The profit margins are so slim. they have to sell in huge volume just to break even.

However, in this selective pissing of the world conspiracy you guys have concocted. They (NCL) will lose a few big spenders. But that is collateral damage of big business.

I know, most of you will disagree because you are all the big spenders.

But, this is the reality. This is the new world of the leisure travel market segment. I will quote Michael Douglas as Gordon Gecko in Wall Street "The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good."

On my last NCL trip on the Breakaway on night the buffet had meatloaf at the carving station, give me a break. Beside the fact that in that very large buffet there was just one at times with monster lines. Since the fares have gone up with room service fees and tips going up twice. We are going in October so Frank, you got your money, WERE IS THE BEEF?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Hahahahahahahaha winner! Thanks for the chuckle

Have any of you graduated from an accredited business college? Well, neither did I. i'm a blue collar guy, and if you all cant figure out what is going on, well get your head out of the sand...

NCL like a few other main stream lines are pushing away there core cruisers. They want Millennials, D.I.N.K.S. and the 40-60 crowd because they spend money. And NCL is adjusting there marketing to reflect that.

The very people who complain, are the exact demo they are looking to rid themselves of. WHY, you ask.... WAIT FOR IT---THEY DON'T SPEND ENOUGH MONEY ON BOARD. This is not hard to see, even HAL is changing focus as their marketing proves. HAL is now trying to be HIP...

If McDonalds only sold hamburgers. they would be out of business in six months. The ancillary revenue comes from, Coffee, breakfast, apple pies and soft drinks ect. So, how does that relate to NCL, great question. The very people they are pissing off are the ones who buy the cruises and spend little to no extra money once on board. They are only buying the hamburger and that's it.

Like any other company the cruise lines are top heavy. The profit margins are so slim. they have to sell in huge volume just to break even.

However, in this selective pissing of the world conspiracy you guys have concocted. They (NCL) will lose a few big spenders. But that is collateral damage of big business.

But, this is the reality. This is the new world of the leisure travel market segment. I will quote Michael Douglas as Gordon Gecko in Wall Street "The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good."

From one blue collar to another, BRAVO.

I like simple explanations too. Simply put NCL are asking more but not giving more. So, simply asked, what TWO raises in 4 months? No one is asking that question.

I will quote Michael Douglas as Gordon Gecko in Wall Street "The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good."

I am thinking you completely missed the point of that famous quote. Check out the definition of "irony."

I like simple explanations too. Simply put NCL are asking more but not giving more. So, simply asked, what TWO raises in 4 months? No one is asking that question.

You call a plumber to unclog your drains. He charges $200. Four months later, you call him again, because your drain is clogged again, and you felt $200 was a fair price. He now charges $250. Do you ask him what additional service he is providing?

Pretty much this.

For all of the increased and new charges being levied, what are the improvements for guests? More cabin amenities? Had anyone noticed more bar staff or shorter waits?

If there is an improvement in quality I would say some of these charges are reasonable. Are we getting more by paying more? Or are we getting the same but paying more?

Does your boss have this conversation with you every year before he tells you your raise. Mine does and its a joke. We all know that merit raises are really cost of living raises. View this as one and move on.

Does your boss have this conversation with you every year before he tells you your raise. Mine does and its a joke. We all know that merit raises are really cost of living raises. View this as one and move on.

I'm my own boss. I don't get to listen to someone else's malarkey. Why did they raise dsc twice in 4 months. It wasn't COLA for the crew. Has NCL said it is?

You read my mind.

Edited by emcelh

I am thinking you completely missed the point of that famous quote. Check out the definition of "irony."

Someone once told me that " literary context is only an interpretation of punctuation. And, meaning is only an illusion of the reader"

That being said, I get the irony. But the quote fit into my post. So, that negates the intellectual meaning of the line from the movie. Kind of like no two people see the same rainbow. As your angle of view slightly changes what you see. But it's a rainbow nevertheless.

No one here has ANY credible answer whatsoever so I am told I should not ask the question. Come on guys they raised the DSC four months ago for the first time in over 5 years. Fine. The crew have earned it. So why another increase so soon? Makes no sense

No one likes paying more, but look at how many people here have 2, 3, or 4 cruises booked, so if they prepay, it will be months or years before NCL sees that increase.

They are bringing a new ship on line in a very few months. They need to recruit & train 2 to 3 k employees just to keep the same level of service they have now. Recruitment & training is expensive. Retaining good employees in important & to all our benefit. I have had primarily wonderful service personnel on all my NCL cruises & would like to think they are benefiting from the increases. I hope I'll be getting more on my Escape cruise -& I haven't paid more:)

They could have rolled an extra $10 a day into the fare & none of us would have noticed. They could have increased the deposit by $25 & we would have paid it. It may have been a business blunder to raise the DSC again so soon, but my cabin went up & up in price & the ship is now sold out. We'll have to wait & see how this shakes out.

Have you never raised prices? How do you pay for the increases you give your employees?

I read your later posts and it sounds like your business is doing well. What would you do if you built a huge warehouse and then couldn't pay for it. Could you generate enough new business in a short period of time or would you have to get that money from existing customers? If you want profit, you manage revenues as well as costs. Maybe NCL has gone overboard with the things they are trying, but I know the other lines are watching. Anything that does stick will be copied. Looks a lot like the airlines.

When lending got tight in 08 and 09 we almost lost our shirts. Sold my car and got a 12 year old car with 200k. Sold our house which thankfully wasn't underwater and went much smaller. It was either that or close the company and go back to some beige office somewhere. My office is a beige box but it's my box. Anyway I digress. I'm not NCL. I don't face the same market forces they face.

I will tell you a story that somewhat relates to NCL raising prices which I believe is for revenue not for employee obligation. We had subcontracted a run of 20000 pieces of an item. It was prototyped and all parties signed off as to pricing, delivery, acceptable qa levels etc. The company then added 87 cents per piece on the first 5000 piece run. I refused it. I went back to the contract. They refused to fill the order and I was kind of stuck without product. So we had to seek remedy. By then they had produced another 5k pieces thinking they'd jam it down my throat. I won and paid the first 5k pieces at the contract price. When they wanted me to buy the 2nd 5k order I said nope. They said we have a contract. I said sue me. Go figure.

If I accepted vendor increases out of left and right I'd be sunk. Now if material costs vary a lot yes piece cost can but that's in the contract already and wasn't the case here. The manufacturer was just greedy and burned themselves. I switched manufacturers and never looked back.

Whatever NCL uses this new found money for is fine. But they haven't said it is for the crew even though they'd like to lead you to believe it is. It makes no sense giving someone two raises in half a year far exceeding any COLA increase. So I am asking questions. Now you're entitled to your own thoughts and opinions buy I'd really like answers and saying to just forget it is dismissive and doesn't help anything out, you know? Why should I not ask? Why shouldn't anyone ask?

Plus you're an Alabama fan. Not sure I can have you at my BBQ [emoji33] [emoji106]

Don't let the Rose coloured glasses of others stop you from your principles, it's your right to to ask a valid question of what your vacation dollars will do for you.

That's right I am just asking what I thought was an easy question. With all recent increases can guests expect improved service or amentities. And for this I am attacked? Come on. It's a fair question. We should all be able to have a mature and civil discussion. Not sure why select few are so nasty but that's the nature of the Internet. Give the ignorant and hate filled a keyboard and anonymity and they run wild.

We are going in October and I expect to see improvements in included food and service. I know prices go up however all this started when Frank D took over to save the company. Well now he got his regular fare increased along with other fees and stuff. Well its time to put up, FRANK, WHERES THE BEEF?

BTW I am not boasting about my riches because I am not financially rich and never mentioned anything about my personal finances. By giving my employees very generous benefits we all live comfortably. I don't have to pay an assistant warehouse guy $17 and I don't have to give part timers Healthcare. I am a proud American, invented something in America. I employee Americans and we manufacturer in America. I am not ashamed at all of our team accomplishments and I'm proud how we take care of our employees. If you hate on that, that is 100% your problem.

My experience is that two price increases in short succession usually (but not always) mean one of two things: (1) You really wanted to go to the higher price in the first place, but thought it was too large for a one-time increase, or (2) You thought the first price increase would cover whatever increased costs you estimated, but then found out that it wouldn't.

I have no idea whether either of these apply in this situation.

We are going in October and I expect to see improvements in included food and service. I know prices go up however all this started when Frank D took over to save the company. Well now he got his regular fare increased along with other fees and stuff. Well its time to put up, FRANK, WHERES THE BEEF?

Please tell me you have gone to the NCL Facebook and posted the meatloaf story and included #FRANK,WHERESTHEBEEF

You could go on Celebrity, where they had pork and beans on their MDR menu!

Please tell me you have gone to the NCL Facebook and posted the meatloaf story and included #FRANK,WHERESTHEBEEF

Yes, I just did however I am sure it will be gone soon. As for franks and beans on X, I never had it however I bet it was not their featured dish that night. I heard FDR has decided to lisen to the guests that want lobster back. He is having the meatloaf made in the shape of lobsters!!!