Independence - rate the food!

Would you say in general, the main dining room puts out better quality food than the windjammer?

Also, what exactly is jade? I don't see it mentioned a lot.

The Windjammer has a much larger selection, but overall, I would say the MDR is overall better quality. Jade is a part of the Windjammer that has sushi and other Asian dishes for lunch and dinner. The WJ is a serve-yourself buffet, so food sits out under heat lamps and on hot pads in larger quantities. The MDR is a sit-down restaurant type venue where you are served and most dinners are pre-plated and kept warm in humid hot boxes, so the food tends to hold better and not get so dry. You're not going to starve by any means.

Since one of the things you are asking about in your original post is smoked salmon, let me share a tip.

On Independence (or at least on the 6/21 sailing), they did not keep the smoked salmon out with the rest of breakfast. If you went to the deli station and asked for smoked salmon, they would go in the back and bring out a healthy portion for you, but it was not available with all the other meats.

First time I'd ever seen that and my husband was not happy that it took him until Wednesday to learn this "secret" since lox and bagels are one of his favorite cruiseship breakfast treats.

Okay! I am going on my very first cruise in little more than a week! Getting excited. Let's talk food.

If you have sailed on the independence of the seas before, please give your rating for each of the following food items with a scale of 1-10!

If you feel inspired, please leave comments as well! You can copy and paste the list so that you can answer more easily. Have fun!

Breakfast - Main Dining Room. Best place for breakfast!!! Very best. Do it everyday!!

Breakfast Pastries - great in mdr

Pancakes - grant in mdr

French Toast - didn't try

Kippered Herring - didn't try

Smoked Salmon Plate - didn't try

Waffles - excellent in mdr

Omelette- excellent in mdr. Had a few made to order in windjammer and there is NO comparison. I wasted several mormings in wj and once I went to mdr for bradkfast never went back!

Windjammer Buffet. Meh. It's just buffet food.

Breakfast rating 3 out of 10

Lunch/dinner rating- 3 out of 10

(Sorry but I don't have a menu for here)

Sorrento's

Pizza- it's ok the first few nights (we went at 10p and after for a snack) it is nit very good pizza and limited to what they have. Very limited choices.

Panini- pretty good, some very strange ingredients, though.

Coffee on the promenade- espresso, cappuccino, etc never tried

Ice cream on the promenade (not Ben and Jerry). I never saw ice cream on prom except for BJ's. Frozen yogurt in pool area was very good.

Johnny Rockets

Burgers- excellent

Giovanni. Very Good, but not as good as chops!

General pasta quality- very good.

Chops grille excellent. Amazing. Loved it!! French onion soup is the best ever. Filet was awesome and I live in Kansas where I am used to extremely good cuts of steak.

General steak quality-

10 of 10!

Anything else I've missed, feel free to add. Thanks!

See above for comments requested. I loved the MDR food, didn't care for buffet at all. The good thing is you can try new things and if you hate it order something else. I was a bit disappointed in the seafood selections, but overall was very happy.

I am disappointed to hear that some people don't like the pizza at sorrento's.

I love love pizza, and a frozen totino's for 99 cents is better. It is hard to ruin pizza and it is sad that RCI can and does. [emoji35] pizza was the first thing I wanted when we got off the ship!

Would you say in general, the main dining room puts out better quality food than the windjammer?

Also, what exactly is jade? I don't see it mentioned a lot.

I did like the sushi rolls in Jade very much! We went to get a few for a "snack" and ended up eating that for supper. So that was the exception he the windjammer. Jade is a part of windjammer.

Thank you all.

What else does the Jade have besides sushi? Do they have other Asian dishes? Is it "American-Asian" like General tso, beef and broccoli, etc? What do you think of this section?

No coffee snobs yet? I think I'm going for the royal replenish package so I'm curious about the cappuccino, etc.

Thank you all.

What else does the Jade have besides sushi? Do they have other Asian dishes? Is it "American-Asian" like General tso, beef and broccoli, etc? What do you think of this section?

No coffee snobs yet? I think I'm going for the royal replenish package so I'm curious about the cappuccino, etc.

Miso soup, steamed and fried rice.

I hope the sushi is good! I wouldn't expect it to be super fresh though. Anyone tried it?

It wasn't too bad. It certainly wasn't the absolute freshest catch of the day, or anything that you would find in the high end sushi bars, but was definitely better than sushi from a gas station (scary thought, I know), I would say it was closest to what you would buy pre-packaged from a better supermarket.