Less Formal (Gala) Nights???

jaspersmycat

Time to get this thread back on track.

You'll remember that Krazy Kruizers had some formatting issues when first posting the list of numbers of gala nights. Unfortunately, in correcting the formatting, there was an offset in the rows. This is what it should read:

Under 7 days - 1

7-13 days - 2

14-20 days - 3

21-28 days - 4

Over 28 days - Varies based on cruise schedule

Here is the link to HAL's page: https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&=WT.ac=pnav_NTC_WhattoBring#

So much the same as in the past, and now we understand why recent cruisers haven't reported a reduction in gala nights.

... in correcting the formatting, there was an offset in the rows. This is what it should read:

Under 7 days - 1

7-13 days - 2

14-20 days - 3

21-28 days - 4

Over 28 days - Varies based on cruise schedule

That's what I thought.

Thanks for posting the correct table.

I have another question about formal night. We are on a 3 week Mediterranean cruise in August. Edocs said 4 formal nights. From reading different posts the consensus was that the formal nights are usually held on sea days. Our itinerary has been changed to replace Tunis with Olbia. The first Le Cirque for the cruise was the night we left Tunis. With the change of itinerary what was a a sea day is now Olbia and what was Tunis is now a sea day - resulting with Le Cirque now being held on a sea day! My question is - will they change Le Cirque to a different night or hold it the same night as a formal night? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

We just got back from a 24 day Mediterranean cruise. Three of our Gala nights were on sea days, however, because two sea days were separated by only one port day, they changed one of the Gala nights to later in the cruise. They chose a night with an early all aboard.

As to your answer about the Cirque, I have no idea what they are going to do about it. I suspect they will move the Gala night.

Edited by Danni3ll3

Thanks Viv0828 and RuthC, I just ordered shoe clips for my flip flops that will match my 1 necklace.

I love!, Love!, LOVE! shoe clips!!! I bring a small (well, maybe not so small ;)) stash of them on every cruise. One pair of dress shoes can be made to match every evening outfit, no matter how long the cruise is.

I love!, Love!, LOVE! shoe clips!!! I bring a small (well, maybe not so small ;)) stash of them on every cruise. One pair of dress shoes can be made to match every evening outfit, no matter how long the cruise is.

I do this too Ruth. Some really nice ones.

Just because HAL might not have as many formal/gala nights it doesn't mean a passenger can't make every night a formal one.

Yeah, that's not the least bit appealing to me. I wish they would just end it already instead of this half hearted effort.

Just because HAL might not have as many formal/gala nights it doesn't mean a passenger can't make every night a formal one.

Life is different now, y'know? On our most recent cruise, I had four people say to me (on a "smart casual" night) "Boy you really get dressed up, don't ya?"

I don't think there would be a lot of people interested in making every night a formal night for themselves ;)

Good for you! A cruise should be what you want it to be. We too love dressing for dinner and do so every evening but we really love the nights when the formal wear comes out. But for those who don't like that, they should do what is comfortable for them especially since there are options to the MDR if a jacket isn't something a gentleman wishes to wear.

Yeah, that's not the least bit appealing to me. I wish they would just end it already instead of this half hearted effort.

I agree with you, make it optional. But just because the do doesn't mean those who enjoy donning the tux have to stop.

IE Crystal.

I agree with you, make it optional. But just because the do doesn't mean those who enjoy donning the tux have to stop.

IE Crystal.

No, I just want it gone period. If it's optional I'll feel like I should maybe do it. On my last cruise for the first time ever I skipped one of the formal nights and ate with some friends I made in Canaletto. I generally dress nicer than the requirement but I felt like I needed to go in hiding after dinner. I would have likely gotten into the MDR with what I was wearing. Hal formal nights used to feel special but they just don't anymore. I want to leave my panti hose at home :D. I'm speaking for myself only. No snarky comments required (not speaking of you sppunk).

Edited by cruz chic

No, I just want it gone period. If it's optional I'll feel like I should maybe do it. On my last cruise for the first time ever I skipped one of the formal nights and ate with some friends I made in Canaletto. I generally dress nicer than the requirement but I felt like I needed to go in hiding after dinner. I would have likely gotten into the MDR with what I was wearing. Hal formal nights used to feel special but they just don't anymore. I want to leave my panti hose at home :D. I'm speaking for myself only. No snarky comments required (not speaking of you sppunk).

Why would you feel the need to "go in hiding" after dinner? You mean because you feel overdressed, or something else? (not being sarcastic - I actually am not sure what you mean)

Also, while I do dress up, including in short dresses from time to time, I haven't worn pantyhose in many years! I just make sure my legs are moisturised and leave them beautifully bare! :D If it's cold enough to "need" hose, then I'll wear a long dress/skirt(s) and leggings underneath, with nice boots. MUCH more comfy than horrid hose, no chafing, no worrying about runs, and no ongoing expense.

Speaking of leggings, here's another tip.. The ECWS GenIII silk weight long underwear bottoms fold/crush down to and weigh next to nothing, are very comfy, quite warm under a single layer (have been comfortable in them with trousers in 20°F), and make very nice looking, somewhat shiny "leggings" as well!! They're awesome and yet another article of clothing which can do double or triple duty, which is always good for packing.

Yes, they are "men's", but honestly, anyone who is going to see the only part of them that makes a difference in the "gender" of them probably isn't worried about whether you're wearing men's thermals. And, if they are, they don't deserve to get any further! ;)

Edited by Khaos WolfKat
Missing comma. Again.

Why would you feel the need to "go in hiding" after dinner? You mean because you feel overdressed, or something else? (not being sarcastic - I actually am not sure what you mean)

Also, while I do dress up, including in short dresses from time to time, I haven't worn pantyhose in many years! I just make sure my legs are moisturised and leave them beautifully bare! :D If it's cold enough to "need" hose, then I'll wear a long dress/skirt(s) and leggings underneath, with nice boots. MUCH more comfy than horrid hose, no chafing, no worrying about runs, and no ongoing expense.

Speaking of leggings, here's another tip.. The ECWS GenIII silk weight long underwear bottoms fold/crush down to and weigh next to nothing, are very comfy, quite warm under a single layer (have been comfortable in them with trousers in 20°F), and make very nice looking, somewhat shiny "leggings" as well!! They're awesome and yet another article of clothing which can do double or triple duty, which is always good for packing.

Yes, they are "men's", but honestly, anyone who is going to see the only part of them that makes a difference in the "gender" of them probably isn't worried about whether you're wearing men's thermals. And, if they are, they don't deserve to get any further! ;)

I felt like I wasn't dressed formally so I didn't want to be out and about. I know wearing panti hose is old school but I feel I need them. I see woman around all the time with no panti hose and their legs covered in scratches, mosquito bites and bruises with a nice dress. I don't feel it's a good look. I know someone will come around with a comment about this. I'm speaking for my personal feelings not anyone else.

I felt like I wasn't dressed formally so I didn't want to be out and about. I know wearing panti hose is old school but I feel I need them. I see woman around all the time with no panti hose and their legs covered in scratches, mosquito bites and bruises with a nice dress. I don't feel it's a good look. I know someone will come around with a comment about this. I'm speaking for my personal feelings not anyone else.

I'm with you, babe.

:D

I used to be on the same page til I moved to a part of BC that gets quite hot. I haven't worn pantyhose in 8 years and have never felt underdressed. Pantyhose are madness in a climate where you can get mosquito bites and scratches during a holiday...

Well, you should be doing whatever makes you feel at ease. If that means hose, then so be it. Then again, there's also the thought of wearing some of those nice, wide, slinky pants with a really fancy top. It might be a nice compromise where you feel formal enough, but are more physically comfortable as well.

I do like the idea of official formal nights, but it sounds like it would potentially be nicer for a lot more people if they maybe made it only mandatory for part of the MDR, leaving at least some area for smart casual, and making smart casual "officially" condoned in other areas of the ship after dinner.

Ultimately, I believe that the lines will end up going with what the majority of cruisers want, since that's their bread and butter.

I used to be on the same page til I moved to a part of BC that gets quite hot. I haven't worn pantyhose in 8 years and have never felt underdressed. Pantyhose are madness in a climate where you can get mosquito bites and scratches during a holiday...

I hear that!!!

Edited by Khaos WolfKat
then/than mistake! <gasp!> HORRORS!

Well, you should be doing whatever makes you feel at ease. If that means hose, then so be it. Then again, there's also the thought of wearing some of those nice, wide, slinky pants with a really fancy top. It might be a nice compromise where you feel formal enough, but are more physically comfortable as well.

I do like the idea of official formal nights, but it sounds like it would potentially be nicer for a lot more people if they maybe made it only mandatory for part of the MDR, leaving at least some area for smart casual, and making smart casual "officially" condoned in other areas of the ship after dinner.

Ultimately, I believe that the lines will end up going with what the majority of cruisers want, since that's their bread and butter.

I hear that!!!

No, I don't really feel that is my style and it really doesn't feel that formal to me. I know others do feel it is formal and that's great. I just don't enjoy a policy that's in the middle. I wish they would enforce it or forget it.

No, I don't really feel that is my style and it really doesn't feel that formal to me. I know others do feel it is formal and that's great. I just don't enjoy a policy that's in the middle. I wish they would enforce it or forget it.

I definitely agree that they ought to make up their bloody minds, and enforce whatever they decide! Out of curiosity, what IS your style? Do you have any pics? I know I totally plan on getting as many photos as I can on my cruise! :D And definitely in all my nice clothes ;)

I definitely agree that they ought to make up their bloody minds, and enforce whatever they decide! Out of curiosity, what IS your style? Do you have any pics? I know I totally plan on getting as many photos as I can on my cruise! :D And definitely in all my nice clothes ;)

I'm not sure how to describe my style other than I'm a girly girl. I like the jewelry and would be wearing a dress for formal. I don't have too many pics of myself but even if I did I don't feel comfortable posting them on a discussion board.

I definitely agree that they ought to make up their bloody minds, and enforce whatever they decide!

So if they decide on less formal for men (no jacket required) they should turn away gentlemen in tuxes???