College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier?

SunniLicious

We're first-timers to Alaska, looking at 7-day one-way cruises. On Princess, their northbound trip includes scenic cruising at College Fjord; their southbound trip replaces that with scenic cruising past Hubbard Glacier.

We're leaning toward mid-June for the trip, if that matters. What factors could help us choose between the two itineraries?

TIA :)

If you want to see a spectacular glacier then do Hubbard. It's my favorite. College Fjord is a beautiful area with several smaller glaciers, although the one at the very end is large.

I like them both!

College Fiords is gorgeous on a beautiful day. Hubbard Glacier is huge, though it seems missed more often that College Fiords.

Work with what works best in your schedule.

Edited by Coral

We're first-timers to Alaska, looking at 7-day one-way cruises. On Princess, their northbound trip includes scenic cruising at College Fjord; their southbound trip replaces that with scenic cruising past Hubbard Glacier.

We're leaning toward mid-June for the trip, if that matters. What factors could help us choose between the two itineraries?

TIA :)

If you get Glacier as well, I'd say take the one with College offers something different and very beautiful.

Are you mainland Alaska touring as well? If you happen to be interested in including Katmai, I would recommend you give that the priority for peak scheduling, then fit in the cruise. :)

Have you figured out your priority for touring? Some port times may work better than others.

I have cruised Alaska numerous times (50+), with many trips to all 3 of these glacier areas. I have to agree with Coral- Hubbard is the least predictable. I've sailed there right up to the face with spectacular views and sounds.- At the other end- the SAME season, I've been on ships over 10 miles out- that turn back.

I've never been to College Fjords where views of the entire bay was not seen.

Each of these areas are VERY different from the other. IF you want to stack the deck- then perhaps- put Hubbard third choice. But only a decision you can make- which I suggest- looking at your ENTIRE trip.

We never got to go to Hubbard a couple of weeks ago. Got so far in and had to turn around due to poor visability. Very disappointing. Didn't get to see any of it. Just prpepare yourself that there is a chance of missing it.

10 years ago it would have been 50/50 for me but now Id prefer Hubbard. The glaciers in College Fjord have receded quite a bit and my last couple trips we got no where near the glaciers. Hubbard can be much more spectacular but it is harder to get close.

Do what I do, a B2B and see them all :)

10 years ago it would have been 50/50 for me but now Id prefer Hubbard. The glaciers in College Fjord have receded quite a bit and my last couple trips we got no where near the glaciers. Hubbard can be much more spectacular but it is harder to get close.

Do what I do, a B2B and see them all :)

To stack the Hubbard chances- and doing a back to back- consider north on NCL and South on Princess. :) Added bonus of spending time in both ports. :)

Do a b2b and do them both! :D I thought the northbound went to Glacier Bay. On our NB cruise on Princess we went to Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

They both go to Glacier Bay ... at least in 2015. Hubbard southbound, College Fjord northbound. I think it's the same next year.

They both go to Glacier Bay ... at least in 2015. Hubbard southbound, College Fjord northbound. I think it's the same next year.

If that is the case, then I would do the southbound itinerary. Hubbard Glacier would provide a much different experience from either Glacier Bay or College Fjord.