Pre-Cruise Hotel in Istanbul

aliast

Need a hotel for one night, pre-cruise in Istanbul, Aug 2015. Have narrowed it down to a few, but am confused as to whether it's better to be in Old Town (seems more convenient; choices are Sirkeci Mansion or the Sari Konak), or over by Galata (hotels are more classic, and it's closer to the port; choices are the Rixos Pera and the Vault Karakoy). Would welcome any thoughts!

We have stayed at Sirkeci Mansion and loved it. However, for just one night I would probably choose the Taksim Square or Galata area. Be sure to arrange for a private car from the airport, using either your hotel or one of the many car services. Efendi is a reliable car service we have used.

A taxi from Taksim to the port is just the equivalent of a few dollars in Turkish lira. If your cruise ends in Istanbul, arrange a private car for pickup at the port. The taxis will refuse to meter and demand 25 euros for a short ride to a hotel.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There are many areas here where you can find diverse information. One of them is the Ports of Call boards. Go to Ports of Call and find the one that would include Istanbul. You will find multiple suggestions there. Also, join the roll call for your cruise. the ROLL CALL is where you will be able to converse with other CC members sailing with you. Undoubtedly they will have recommendations and suggestions. Go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on your cruise line, then your ship, and look for a thread with the dates for your sailing. The Ports of Call boards will be further down the page. EM

• 9 months later...
Need a hotel for one night, pre-cruise in Istanbul, Aug 2015. Have narrowed it down to a few, but am confused as to whether it's better to be in Old Town (seems more convenient; choices are Sirkeci Mansion or the Sari Konak), or over by Galata (hotels are more classic, and it's closer to the port; choices are the Rixos Pera and the Vault Karakoy). Would welcome any thoughts!

Looking for three night in October, 2016 myself - we're on a three-day layover enroute from Dulles airport (DC) to Barcelona to pick up the Vista; so proximity to the port isn't an issue.

Looking for three night in October, 2016 myself - we're on a three-day layover enroute from Dulles airport (DC) to Barcelona to pick up the Vista; so proximity to the port isn't an issue.

The old town area of Sultanahmet is certainly more convenient to the sights, they're quite closely-bunched & walkable. Good choice of restaurants too, & the atmosphere continues into the evening..

Definitely the place to be for a 3-night stay, not so important for one night but I'd still chose that over Taksim - the difference in the cost of a taxi to the port is peanuts.

But don't be tempted to head for the port on the tram, even if your hotel is right on the tram route - the tram is no fun with luggage. That advice from a cheapskate who did it :o:D

I'll echo shorex' s comment about rip-off taxis stationed at the port. Arrange a private transfer from airport to hotel & from ship back to airport, and get your hotel to call a cab for hotel to ship.

Shorex mentioned port taxis wanting 25 euros for a hop from the port to a city hotel - that's the cost of a pre-booked car to the airport!!

We used http://www.istanbulairportstransfer.net/?gclid=CNP0jprR48wCFQuNGwodhtYMyA

Very good, no payment with booking, pay the driver at the end in lire or euros. But all the other major operators have decent reputations too.

JB :)

Having been to Istanbul several times, my recommendation would be to stay in the old town area. It's much more convenient to the sites you want to see. Plus, if there is any unrest or demonstrations, they will be in the Taksim Square area -- well away from Sultanahmet.

There are many nice boutique hotels in the area. They tend to be smaller, well run and with very good breakfast. (Turkish food, overall, is delicious!) I've stayed at Sirkeci Konak and it was very nice.

We ended up at the Vault Karakoy, and I highly recommend this small boutique hotel. Small but impressive (think of the soaring ceilings in an old-time bank). Location was convenient for everything -- right near the Galata Bridge, convenient to the subway stop that went to the shopping area (there's a lot of walking in Istanbul, much of it uphill, much on cobblestone, so after a long day, the train was a necessity for me), staff was extremely accommodating, room was VERY comfortable, the included breakfast was great, and the price was so much more reasonable than the big known brands. It started our cruise off on a great note!