Flying In on the Day of Cruise

Jsmommy13

The wife and I fly in day of, but we haven't been on dozens of cruises so take my advice with a grain of salt.

SWD, you're learning that everyone on CC is older, wiser, and more experienced than you. ;)

I've done it 4 times all successfully. I admit though I am a worrier & usually feel nervous. Unfortunately due to eork & childcare a day early hasn't been an option. I've experienced the delays people here warn about- 1 hour delay flying to Disney due to a broken coffee machine, stuck overnight after a cruise due to hurricane, but I have no choice so I take the risk. I have all success stories:

I've done 3 first morning flights (around 7am) from NY LaGuardia to either MIA or FLL. Landing around 10-10:30am. 2 out of 3 was smooth sailing. 1 time we were delayed 90 mins due to an indicator light bulb being out. Took minutes to fix but over an hour to get paperwork for clearance! Still made the ship with plenty of time to spare (on board by 1pm the latest).

Most recently was NY JFK to Puerto Rico. 7am flight. No issuea. Walked on board just before noon.

I love, love, love this board. So many knowledgeable people, and I mean it sincerely. A lot of great and, dare I say, valid points for flying in the day prior. I have flown in to FLL, MCO and SJU from either LGA or JFK for seventeen cruises all on the earliest flights and have never had a problem, maybe I don't know better. For my upcoming cruise in September I am twirling around the idea of the day before, only because of what I have been reading here.

Depending on the winds, both Florida coasts (and the interior as the sea breezes worked their way inland and collide) have been having early morning thunderstorms that last into the afternoon. The problem with those storms is that if there is a lightening strike within two miles of the airport runway, the airport is shut down for ground operations (i.e; no luggage loading or unloading for example) until 20 minutes after the last lightening strike within two miles of the airport.

Flights in and out of the various Florida airports have been greatly messed up for the last few weeks.

Yep, had this happen to us in Orlando this June. After one botched try and a fly around, the pilot was able to land the plane in a severe thunderstorm. Pursuant to careening down the runway, we deplaned - but waiting about 2 hours until the luggage could be unloaded.

Not a good way to start a vacation :(

Sweet Dutch Girl, I will leave you with the words I tell my daughter: Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. You will gain wisdom as you travel more.

Giminy Christmas...how do you know how much I travel or what my travel experience is. I've probably logged more hours of travel than most anyone else on this board since I spent a good part of my life actually "traveling" for a living.

Popcorn in hand, eagerly awaiting the rebuttal :)

Edited by lizardhowson

Giminy Christmas...how do you know how much I travel or what my travel experience is. I've probably logged more hours of travel than most anyone else on this board since I spent a good part of my life actually "traveling" for a living.

I am not telling anyone when they should fly into a port to start their cruise. I am relaying actually facts that refutes the idea that it is "necessary" to fly in the day before a cruise.

Single leg flights with reputable airlines in other than horrific weather scenerios are reliable. Saturdays and Sundays are not "huge" travel days since business travel actually accounts for the largest portion of air travel.

No one is telling someone that needs to travel 6000 miles with 4 stops and 12 hours of flight time to schedule their travel "same day" as departure. But common sense, for the most part, will be some one's best ally when choosing when to fly irregardless of the "horror" stories that someone else tells.

Most of this is rank speculation. While it is true that fewer people fly on weekends, that does not apply to cities with cruise terminals. I have personally been stranded in Charlotte, NC because of a late connection and was stuck there for over eight hours! I was begging the airline to book me on any flight to San Juan, but the problem was that on cruise days, there are simply zero seats available. Every flight flies full. Just imagine if you were flying to Miami on a Saturday or Sunday and your flight with 140 passengers out of Dallas was cancelled. Every one of those passengers needs to get to Miami. Do you really think there are 140 empty seats on the next few flights going that way? To believe that is to be really naive. Having experienced this first hand, I can tell you that it really sucks.

As far as cruise ships waiting on flights...I was on a cruise where 30 people were late when the ship was leaving San Juan at 10:00pm. The ship left without them and they had to catch up in Aruba. They were attempting to fly in the day of their cruise from Detroit in December. How foolish was that?

Anyway, it is a personal choice, whether or not to fly in the same day as your cruise, but just know that if you don't make it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Good day!

Edited by Wheels87

We now fly in the day of the cruise and have not had any problems so far. We travel from Columbus, OH to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami each winter and even with the horrible weather, we have not had any problems at all. Last year we barely made it and I was a nervous wreck but we still made it without any problems at all. Just watch the arrival time of your flight and you should be fine! Just be sure to have all of your ground transportation in place.

Just be sure to have all of your ground transportation in place.

Even that's not a guarantee. Came in on a really delayed flight to FLL, arriving around 3pm. Folks on our flight were trying to cruise that day out of POM. We got in the shuttle to go to Miami, but it was pouring and there was an accident on the expressway so all traffic was stopped. Our driver was great and really hustled and we were able to drop them off first. I assume they made it, but who needs that stress? yowza.:p

Majority of the time, we drive 4 hours to a bigger airport (save anywhere $200-500), and except for Puerto Rico, we fly to Orlando or Miami the day of the cruise. My first cruise, the day we flew out, we beat a snowstorm by hours. Whew! The 2nd and 3rd times, no issue, next was Puerto Rico (just in case, the day before), 5th was fine, and again, Puerto Rico.

Just make sure you have cruise insurance and get there at a decent time...you'll be ok!

Sailing on Fascination Aug 6. Flying DCA to JAX nonstop on the 6th. Arrival 10:45 am. Carrying on only, no dealing with baggage claim. Getting to pier using Carnival's transfer service. In my head this is plenty of time but all the comments I read on here and on a Facebook Carnival page have me thinking otherwise.

So: if you have had SUCCESS flying in the day of the cruise, please comment here. I know the stories are out there!!Thanks!! :-)

I wish someone would post stats, as I gotta think the success rate is in excess of 95%, and I'm being less than generous. I've yet to miss a cruise due to a missed flight on the same day of the cruise.

We flew from the north during the winter on the morning of the cruise with no problems. The only reason I would not do it again is because of the stress I felt after reading on cc that I should never fly in the day of a cruise. :rolleyes: The majority of people flying a few hours for a cruise do so on the same day without even a second thought.

I used to fly in the day of the cruise, until a mechanical issue got us to MIA at 3:00PM, instead of 11:00AM. Talk about rushing!

We made it on board, and into our cabin just before muster drill.

NEVER AGAIN.

I realize some have time constraints, and can't come in a day early, but if you can, it is so much more relaxing not rushing to the ship. ;)

Besides, the airlines aren't offering as many alternate flights in case your plane is held up.[/quote

This just happened to us on July 5th, Newark to Fll, we were on the tarmac when a "check engine light" illuminated. Repair was made at the gate but we arrived at the terminal @ 3:04. This was a RCL cruise leaving at 4 pm. Rcl told us we had to have our feet inside the terminal by 3:30. We boarded with our luggage while the muster drill was under way. Way too close for comfort. Never again!!!

Yes, it is VERY possible, especially with an early morning, non-stop flight. Yes, there are some risks, but if you plan well and allow yourself some room for error you will be fine. It can be tiring though, as you have to roll out of bed VERY early to catch an early flight and minimize risks.

Friends of mine just tried flying in the day of their cruise on Friday. They flew from a town a couple hours away and I drove them the night before. Their flight was supposed to leave at 9am and arrive at 11am into FLL. Unfortunately their flight got delayed and would have had them arriving in FLL after 5pm. Obviously they would have missed their cruise so they rented a car and drove home.

IF you fly in the day of, make sure it is with an airline that would have a different flight you can catch to your cruise in case there is a problem with your flight. Also, make sure you have travel insurance. They were flying Allegiant Air which only flies a few times a week and did not have insurance. Sadly, the only thing they were refunded were the taxes on their cruise.

Personally, I have flown in the day of multiple times; however, after their experience I think I'll be playing it safe and flying in the day before instead.

Yes, it is VERY possible, especially with an early morning, non-stop flight. Yes, there are some risks, but if you plan well and allow yourself some room for error you will be fine. It can be tiring though, as you have to roll out of bed VERY early to catch an early flight and minimize risks.

Really???? "You WILL be fine"? How?- IF someone follows your magic formula? Because you and all the other same day flyers are in some kind of secret club that protects you?

This is an interesting post. Just about all, are very infrequent flyers. Like I said pages back- for anyone to be able to make some recommendations- to fly in the same day- better be flying multiple times per week, not only a couple times per year.

The OP asked if it was possible. I confirmed for that person that it is. I also mentioned there ARE risks. But those risks are minimal if one, as I suggested, books an early flight to allow for any delays and also books a non-stop flight to eliminate having to make connections. Would you prefer that I lied to the OP and told them that it is IMPOSSIBLE and that it is more likely than not that their flight would be canceled and they would not be able to book another flight and would miss their cruise, losing all the money they had invested in it? Sorry, I try to avoid lying, and the fact IS, chances are the OP will not miss their cruise because they opted - perhaps out of necessity, perhaps out of budget limitations - to fly the day of their cruise. Might they? Of course. Is it more likely than not? No. I am not making the decision for the OP, just answering a simple question.

Edited by Towel Critter

awesome :D
As someone early on this thread mentioned, if flying in the day of the cruise is so fraught with risks, why does Carnival fly you in on the day of the cruise when you book air through them? Are there risks? Yes. Life is filled with risk. Are the odds so low of making it onto your ship that every single person should ALWAYS fly in a day or two early, whether that extra day off work, hotel room, and extra meals are in their vacation budget or not? What do you figure the odds of not making onto the ship, because of flying in on the morning of the cruise, are? 90%? You and the poster's comment that you are championing surely must think so. 50% maybe? You know as well as I do that the risk is likely less than 5%. I'd love to see real stats on this, if they exist.

Really???? "You WILL be fine"? How?- IF someone follows your magic formula? Because you and all the other same day flyers are in some kind of secret club that protects you?

No...we are realists. We aren't pie in the sky it is going to cave in any second conspiracy theorists who rattle off doomsday incidents as though they happen every second of every day at every airport for every airline.

Why haven't all those minions who have missed same day flights been posting about their horrible experiences and how they happen time and time again?