QV Alfresco Dining

Sophistikatie

I heard on one of these forums that QV introduced Alfresco Dining as part of the evening alternative dining during the summer months. I haven't heard anything about it since and would love to know if anyone did it and what they thought of it?

The awnings were added as part of the refit last year.

Hopefully someone who has travelled since then will report back. It does sound a nice option, unfortunately my next trip on QV is December so I'm unlikely to experience it !

On our QV Baltic cruise last August, 'Dining under the Stars' was advertised in the daily programme on several occasions. I believe there was a cover charge of around 10/15 dollars and the food was described as 'bistro-style', though we didn't try it.

Hi

Evening alternative dining over last 2 weeks was held in 'sectioned off' area of Lido buffet. Tables were beautifully laid using cloths, different crockery, flowers etc & staff dressed according to theme so it was easy to forget the venue was actually the buffet. Over the 2 weeks I recall 3 alternatives - Italian, Bamboo (Asian Fusion) and Coriander (Indian).

The awnings are near the aft pool next to the Burger Bar. Saw people eating breakfast/lunches from Lido there but not aware that it was used for alternative dining options. Didn't dine in The Verandah but I believe that's inside too.

Happy cruising

S

Photo of the awning on the QV taken in May this year

23ii88h.jpg

Hi guys, even as far back as jan 2014 on the world cruise they trialled

Dining around the aft pool. It was about $15 and they had about 15 tables

Set up, while we were around South America it had a South American theme

Which changed I think as we moved through the pacific.

I think it could have been a trial for the sails that they have now

Placed over the area which would have improved the

Dining experience.

It was a nice option as most other lines I've noticed have many more dining options than Cunard ships and when you are on the ship for an extended

Period can help relieve the dining boredom.

Was a good move in my opinion.

Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

Thanks for the photo! It looks lovely, I do love to dine outside when on vacation! Living in Ireland it is not something one can do very often! :) I hope they have that option on our cruise. I presume they do not release the schedule of the Alternative Dining until you are on the ship?

Thanks for the photo! It looks lovely, I do love to dine outside when on vacation! Living in Ireland it is not something one can do very often! :) I hope they have that option on our cruise. I presume they do not release the schedule of the Alternative Dining until you are on the ship?

usually, from memory the menu is for 3 nights then it changes to the next style, the best and most popular in my experience was the indian one.

Actually just looking forward to the new shading on the aft pool deck, it was always to hot for me to use so looking froward to getting the best out of both pools now.

Early this year the QV R/T LA sailing to the South Pacific had dining on deck under the new sails as shown. Small surcharge for a fixed three course menu that was prepared on deck in the grill, steaks, lobster, etc. The deck tables that are present during the day were fitted with table cloths and could be configured for whatever size party desired. Waiter service, live music, dancing, absolutely delightful!

Reservations required. Limited participation, tables were not turned so they were reserved for the evening. Times flexible (7-10?). Same dress code as at other dining venues (most jackets ended up on the backs of chairs). Our table made arrangements with our head waiter since schedule was dependent on weather and port departure times. Typically only available at sea (we originally wanted to dine in port while overnight in Sydney or Auckland but

it was not available on this cruise while in port).

Highly recommended.

Janis & Bill

Is there an area out on deck where one can take dinner from the buffet - not the special themed areas - to eat?

I suppose you could always find an unused table outside ( away from the smokers and whilst the decks are being washed) however it would not be prepared with a table linen & personal service etc ..... not my idea of an elegant evening ;)

:)

I suppose you could always find an unused table outside ( away from the smokers and whilst the decks are being washed) however it would not be prepared with a table linen & personal service etc ..... not my idea of an elegant evening ;):)

I'm not looking for an elegant evening, just the occasional let's kick back kind of a dinner!

I'm not looking for an elegant evening' date=' just the occasional let's kick back kind of a dinner![/quote']

Ok ! each to his own. I don't fork out thousands of $/£'s for evenings like that.....I'm doing that most of the time at home. ;):D