I need help with the Breakaway in Bermuda

cricri7

Hi guys....I am currently helping a friend of mine who will be booking on the Breakaway to Bermuda. She is hesitating between an inside and a balcony. If she wants a balcony, she would like to be facing the water and not the pier. I have been to Bermuda on the Veendam that docked in Hamilton so I do not know how the Breakaway docks at King's wharf. Which side of the ship will be the dock side?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

There is no guarantee which way the ship will dock; it varies. Don't book based on that.

I agree with Miz - last year we were on the starboard side and it faced the water but if you spend any time watching the Bermuda web cam - it can face either way - don't know what that is dependent on - maybe it's a captain preference don't know.

This year our cabin happened to be on the port side - so we shall see soon - which way we will be facing this year. We leave New York on August 9.

Thank you guys....and a nice vacation to you squirty! I was hoping to come back with a clear answer for her.

Can you talk to me then what it looks like when you are facing the port? Is it really loud?

She is very hesitant about booking a balcony, because she has intense vertigo so she always goes for the inside, so I would not want her to come back with a horror story that it was loud or whatever else could come up.

Thanks again!

In my opinion, both sides have a beautiful view, you can't go wrong with either one. The Dockyard side is very attractive, with a small marina, manicured grounds, and the view of what was once an old fort protecting Bermuda. It's not noisy, the ship is a bit away from any bars or restaurants, and you don't get a raucous party crowd returning to the ship. Harbor side is lovely too, but the port side is nothing like the industrial ports you see in some places. I think she'll be fine whichever way the ship docks.

Edited by cynbar

Thank you guys....and a nice vacation to you squirty! I was hoping to come back with a clear answer for her.

Can you talk to me then what it looks like when you are facing the port? Is it really loud?

She is very hesitant about booking a balcony, because she has intense vertigo so she always goes for the inside, so I would not want her to come back with a horror story that it was loud or whatever else could come up.

Thanks again!

I could let you know what it is like facing shore (if it happens) when we get back but I am sure there are a lot of others who have faced shore and could help you out.

We had a balcony and enjoyed it very much. Not so sure how it would be with vertigo - when we were in port - it was very calm. I hope she is going to take medicine with her. I don't have vertigo but do start taking Bonine the day before we leave and take it each day (being proactive) and have never gotten ill - even on rough days.

We've ported there both ways and while I also prefer the water-side view, the time we faced the dock it wasn't particularly loud.

If she is concerned about sickness, book a mid-ship cabin not too high. That is where she will feel the least motion.

It is nice to know that even if you wind up facing the port that it is not like some I have seen where they have an industrial part and they work all day and it is quite noisy! She is like me, she has vertigo but does not get sick. I have intense vertigo but I am one of the weird ones that loves it when the ship hits rough seas....it puts me to sleep!

I now feel at peace to suggest a balcony to her!

Thanks guys...I knew I could count on this forum to get great answers:)

All this helping her only wants to make me go back to Bermuda even more. I went twice this winter at the Fairmont and absolutely love this island!!! I fell in love with it when I went with the Veendam and I just want to keep going back....everything pales in comparison!

Thanks again!

Joking aside, the aft balconies won't give your friend vertigo because they slope away so below is the next balcony sticking out right down to the waterfront roof. However she would need to be on one of the lower decks as up top aft is the party area at night which does have some music noise pollution until late (although the sliding doors do a good soundproofing job.) But even half of the side balconies are only looking down as far as the lifeboats.

When we were in Bermuda we were in an aft corner suite on the land side and I don't recall any noise from the port at all. It's not the type of port that has cargo coming in and out etc. Just the odd jet skier.

Edited by timmo44
Addition

From what I've witnessed on the port cam, more often than not the ship docks along the portside of the ship. Docking along the starboard side seems to be the exception - only 2 or 3 times this season (although more often as the season has progressed).

This could have something to do with preparing for departure - getting the 180 spin done on arrival rather than on departure. I believe there's also routine lifeboat maintenance that requires them to be out over the water.

The BA (and the Dawn for that matter) typically face out (dock port side) about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time over the past years. Someone actually kept track of how the BA docked last year so there is a thread out there somewhere with the actual, historical way it docked.

That was me who kept track of the 2014 Breakaway Bermuda docking. We went in July and had a port side balcony. We did dock on the port side (left side of the ship facing the Dockyard).

Our balcony got the afternoon sun and was unbearably hot by the time the sun set, but that was our only complaint.

Either side is a beautiful view.

Here is the schedule from last year.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Bermuda Docking

May 4. Port Side

May 14. Port Side

May 21. Starboard Side

May 28. Port Side

June 4th. Port Side

June 11th. Starboard Side

June 18th. Port Side

June 25th. Port Side

July 2nd. Star and Port

July 9th. Port Side

July 16th. Starboard Side

July 23rd. Starboard Side

July 30th. Port Side

August 6th. Port Side

August 13th. Starboard Side

August 20th. Port Side

No August 27th (Cristobal)

Sept. 3rd. Starboard Side

Sept. 10th. Port Side

Sept. 17th. Port Side

Sept. 24th. Port Side

Oct. 1st. Starboard Side

We had a balcony facing port back in April and it was a beautiful view. I will put a few pictures we took from our balcony on deck 13 at the end of this post.

As for noise, our only problem was that there was a bar/club on a pirate ship (the name was something involving Jolly Roger I think) docked a few hundred yards from our ship at the dockyard. It played really loud music into the wee hours with a ton of bass. You couldn't hear it at all as long as you kept the balcony door closed and locked but we liked sleeping with the door open so that was a bit disappointing. I have no clue if it just happened to be docked there while we were there or if it is permanently there. In the last picture you can see the pirate bar halfway down the photo on the right hand side.

ImageUploadedByForums1437687773.940791.jpg.a85c4bb2a9958f05667976c567effbf3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1437687253.893034.jpg.510959330edda8b5c348b66a3a958b95.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1437687700.815457.jpg.6e4e60074ea9682224dfbf1dfa309b23.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1437687713.683301.jpg.553176f5417f0cac4a7b0f9d5cf4632f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1437687756.968374.jpg.6a8eaad39dce35d40ddcbedf533a50c9.jpg

That was me who kept track of the 2014 Breakaway Bermuda docking. We went in July and had a port side balcony. We did dock on the port side (left side of the ship facing the Dockyard).

Our balcony got the afternoon sun and was unbearably hot by the time the sun set, but that was our only complaint.

Either side is a beautiful view.

Here is the schedule from last year.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Bermuda Docking

May 4. Port Side

May 14. Port Side

May 21. Starboard Side

May 28. Port Side

June 4th. Port Side

June 11th. Starboard Side

June 18th. Port Side

June 25th. Port Side

July 2nd. Star and Port

July 9th. Port Side

July 16th. Starboard Side

July 23rd. Starboard Side

July 30th. Port Side

August 6th. Port Side

August 13th. Starboard Side

August 20th. Port Side

No August 27th (Cristobal)

Sept. 3rd. Starboard Side

Sept. 10th. Port Side

Sept. 17th. Port Side

Sept. 24th. Port Side

Oct. 1st. Starboard Side

Thanks for posting the info. I was thinking in my mind it was one of the pizza ladies but wasn't 100% sure but it was actually the meatball lady.

Edited by dexddd

Thanks again!

When you face the King's Wharf port it is very quiet. Even in the middle of the day, there is nothing more going on than people waiting for the ferries or buses, or walking around the fortress, or walking around the shops. The one true highlight we observed when we were there last September was some young man on one of those jet skis that goes up into the air, and doing stunts. That drew a crowd on and off of the ship. With an inside cabin, you'd miss that.