On Royal in just over a week, what should I not miss onboard?

Flo71

First cruise with Princess, only my daughter and I (15) going as hubby can't get holiday from work so I can pretty much please myself with what I see and do.

Any singers, acts, shows, talks, games, activities I shouldn't miss?

The cruise on the Royal around the British Isles.

If you're open to a "pay for" option, we enjoyed the Enclave experience (though it may be adults only). The gelato was yummy (another pay for), and the buffet was excellent. There is a table/comfy chair seating area on the main floor of the atrium that is great for reading, playing cards and people watching - gives you a great view of the various performances and access to the free International Cafe. A nice variety of Trivia options - watch the Patter for those. Library is fairly small but Princess puts Suduko and other one-page puzzles out each day which can be fun. We enjoyed the Royal - lots of places to explore, read etc.

Edited by LoriPhil

If you're open to a "pay for" option, we enjoyed the Enclave experience (though it may be adults only). The gelato was yummy (another pay for), and the buffet was excellent. There is a table/comfy chair seating area on the main floor of the atrium that is great for reading, playing cards and people watching - gives you a great view of the various performances and access to the free International Cafe. A nice variety of Trivia options - watch the Patter for those. Library is fairly small but Princess puts Suduko and other one-page puzzles out each day which can be fun. We enjoyed the Royal - lots of places to explore, read etc.

I am hoping to read a lot. :D Thanks for the tips.

Will look at the Enclave options.

The British Isles cruise is port intensive so less time to spend on board the ship than other cruises. I agree about Alfredo's. I loved the vegetarian pizza. My dh got the magherita pizza. (it is not on the menu but they will make it for you. He just wanted a plain pizza). We also loved Swirls. It is their ice cream stand. It is just outside the Horizon Bistro by the pool. He would get a bowl from the Bistro pastries and put a brownie in it. Then go get the soft serve ice cream on top. I would get a soup mug from the Horizon Court and take it to Swirls for the ice cream. I tried to do this every few days so as not to eat too much ice cream! Not all the ships have the smooth creamy ice cream. Also this is free.

The Royal has lots of entertainment at night in the Vista Lounge, Princess Theater, Atrium, and especially in Princess Live!

Oh, and if you miss something you wanted to see in Princess Live! then the next day look on your tv to see if they recorded it. You can watch it "On Demand".

Enjoy your cruise!

Princess Live from what I have read seems like fun.

Yes it is a port intensive cruise but my daughter isn't keen on long excursions, she'd prefer a transatlantic so she'd never have to get off the ship.:D

Princess Live from what I have read seems like fun.

Yes it is a port intensive cruise but my daughter isn't keen on long excursions, she'd prefer a transatlantic so she'd never have to get off the ship.:D

Can you tell that food is a priority for many of us. :p

Besides Alfredo's Pizzeria, I would recommend ice cream treats at Gelato's & the expanded Horizon Court buffet. While I have yet to try it, I have read great things about the $6 Crab Margarita at Ocean's Terrace.

I read that Princess Live can only accommodate 280 people but most of the events will be shown on the cabin entertainment system either live or recorded. Also the Piazza has many activities & performances scheduled there.

First cruise with Princess, only my daughter and I (15) going as hubby can't get holiday from work so I can pretty much please myself with what I see and do.

Any singers, acts, shows, talks, games, activities I shouldn't miss?

The cruise on the Royal around the British Isles.

The production shows on the Royal now are very good. We especially liked the shows named "Spectacular" and "Sweet Soul Music."

Can you tell that food is a priority for many of us. :p

Besides Alfredo's Pizzeria, I would recommend ice cream treats at Gelato's & the expanded Horizon Court buffet. While I have yet to try it, I have read great things about the $6 Crab Margarita at Ocean's Terrace.

I read that Princess Live can only accommodate 280 people but most of the events will be shown on the cabin entertainment system either live or recorded. Also the Piazza has many activities & performances scheduled there.

I have had the Crab Margarita and it was delicious. They will make it just the way you like it. I don't like things too spicy and it was just right for me.

If you like seafood, reserve a night at the Crab Shack. Yum!!

My favorite at the Gelato shop was the peach melba sundae.

The Horizon Court is far superior to any other Princess buffets. So many great choices and there was never a line when I was there.

Enjoy the cruise with your daughter!

Sue

Another vote for Alfredo's on embarkation day (or any other day come to that).

Crooners bar for Martinis is nice (say Hi to Alan from Steve and Marsha if you go there:D)

Pub lunch on sea days is good - I was wary of the Fish and Chips (as a Brit) but it was actually very good.

The Horizon Court is far superior to any other Princess buffets. So many great choices and there was never a line when I was there.

That's what everyone says, and if and when I get the chance to sail her, that will be the primary reason why. (Princess: we could use one of the new ships out here on the west coast. ;))

That's what everyone says, and if and when I get the chance to sail her, that will be the primary reason why. (Princess: we could use one of the new ships out here on the west coast. ;))

If only.:):):) Those new ships will be old before they head to the West Coast.:D:D

I'm happy to read about how great the buffet is on the Royal and Regal. I'm traveling with a couple of folks who don't really want to dress up for the dining room so we may be eating at the buffet quite often.

If only.:):):) Those new ships will be old before they head to the West Coast.:D:D

I'm happy to read about how great the buffet is on the Royal and Regal. I'm traveling with a couple of folks who don't really want to dress up for the dining room so we may be eating at the buffet quite often.

We enjoyed the Winemaker's Dinner and it was much cheaper than the Chef's Table. Alfredo's is a do not miss. My DH loved the minestrone.

The aim is not to row with daughter (teen) all week and she likes pizza so hopefully Alfredo's will be an easy option.

I'd love her to make friends and have a ball but am prepared to go with the flow if she doesn't.

So excited now, a week today.:D

We did this cruise in May - loved it - but it was VERY COLD weather!

I would highly recommend the free Princess@Sea web app. It was great to have the PATTER on my cell phone where I could easily check on the next event!