Dinner near JW Marriott Marquis

RG306

Any recommendations for dinner near the JW Marriott Marquis? We're looking for casual good food that's affordable. I'd like to avoid chain restaurants.

What kind of foods do you like? Many restaurants around here also have great happy hours and it makes things a lot more affordable.

A new place literally just opened call Golden Fig by the people who owned OTC. The reviews from people I know is that it's amazing. I love the space and can't wait to go try it.

A new Greek restaurant just opened here on Brickell (it's their 3rd one) called Eat Greek and I have to say it's really great. I've actually had their food 3 times in the last week.

Batch Gastropub is a nice place and reasonable. It's over by Mary Brickell village. Le Ceviche is very casual, some a few table outside but it's very fresh and very reasonable. Elwood Gastropub is in the downtown area and it cute.

A new Mexican place just opened not far from your hotel called Centro Taco. I haven't had the chance to eat there yet, however the people behind it own Sakaya Kitchen and Blackbrick which are both amazing. Something to keep an eye on.

Vapiano is a chain, but I have to say everytime I eat here the food is always great. The pasta is made fresh every day. It's nice and cheap.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

And not too far from the Marquis is Truluck's specializing in Seafood and the Capital Grille specializing in Beef.

Yes, please let us know the type of cuisine you are interested in.

Keith

Love both of those restaurants, but neither is casual food that's affordable!! Well, except happy hour at Trulucks. They actually do have a great happy hour at the bar but it does get very crowded. Capital Grille does not have happy hour. They do have a bar menu however, which isn't that bad. The burgers are around $18. It's a bit more of a formal restaurant but shorts are okay if at the bar.

Not sure if you are coming in soon, but just wanted to add that Miami Spice starts August 1 and goes for two months. It makes many restaurants affordable because it's a pre-set price. It's such a great thing and we all look forward to it every year.

You can read about it here.

http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/special-offers/monthly-deals/miami-spice-month

I wouldn't leave chain restaurants out of your search. Sometimes they are a lot better than 'local' restaurants.

Trulucks and Capitol Grille are excellent. Both have great happy hours.

However, Carolyn does live downtown and knows her stuff!:D

I wouldn't leave chain restaurants out of your search. Sometimes they are a lot better than 'local' restaurants.

Trulucks and Capitol Grille are excellent. Both have great happy hours.

However, Carolyn does live downtown and knows her stuff!:D

Does your Capital Grille have happy hour? I so wish ours did, but they don't.

If you are down in Miami in August, stop there though. They are currently doing their generous pour, basically unlimited wines at $28 per person. (I loved the reds they had last year.) combine that with the Miami Spice Menu and it makes for a terrific night out.

Does your Capital Grille have happy hour? I so wish ours did, but they don't.

If you are down in Miami in August, stop there though. They are currently doing their generous pour, basically unlimited wines at $28 per person. (I loved the reds they had last year.) combine that with the Miami Spice Menu and it makes for a terrific night out.

We are taking the boat down for the hubs birthday on Tuesday, docking at Miami Beach Marina and staying at the Catalina. There are too many of us to stay on the boat but we are stopping at Garcias for lunch. Want to join?

Hi thank you for all the responses. We have a group of 8 ages 14-49. The 14 yr old being the pickiest liking plain foods. The rest of us are looking for good food, good portions and good prices. We like anything from seafood to Italian to burgers. We like to try places that have a decent variety in their menu but not too extensive so that mostly everything that they do is done right. Does that make sense?

Sparky's Roadside BarBQue at 204 NE 1st Street is awesome! Try the pulled pork sandwiches and don't leave without an order of their barbequed beans.

You can take the Metromover (free) to 1st Street station, Sparky's is right at the bottom of the stairs, across the street. Yummy and cheap! I used to eat lunch there all the time.

We are taking the boat down for the hubs birthday on Tuesday, docking at Miami Beach Marina and staying at the Catalina. There are too many of us to stay on the boat but we are stopping at Garcias for lunch. Want to join?

I'm actually going to be over that way because I'm spending the afternoon at one of the managers from River Oyster. It would be fun to meet in person. I'll email you!

Edited by cjskids

Sparky's Roadside BarBQue at 204 NE 1st Street is awesome! Try the pulled pork sandwiches and don't leave without an order of their barbequed beans.

You can take the Metromover (free) to 1st Street station, Sparky's is right at the bottom of the stairs, across the street. Yummy and cheap! I used to eat lunch there all the time.

this is great, but I would suggest they not head over there for dinner. The area can be a bit dicey!

Hi thank you for all the responses. We have a group of 8 ages 14-49. The 14 yr old being the pickiest liking plain foods. The rest of us are looking for good food, good portions and good prices. We like anything from seafood to Italian to burgers. We like to try places that have a decent variety in their menu but not too extensive so that mostly everything that they do is done right. Does that make sense?

In Mary Brickell Village, there is a burger restaurant called Burger and Beer Joint, great place to take kids.

For Italian, here is one place. http://www.spaghettino.com They are right on Brickell Ave. Also Vapiano's though it is a couple blocks further away.

I dislike Bayside but have to tell you that I ate at the new German place there (though it is a chain) yesterday and every plate at our table was really good. It's new, clean and fun. They had a guy playing bad music but it was fun. Inside tables and outside. Bavaria House. A group of us will be back there again.

• 8 months later...

Is anyone able to give a recommendation for a Cuban style restaurant near the Jw Marriott Marquis? We would prefer to get food with a local flare, not horribly expensive, somewhere we can show up dressed casually. Also a happy hour would be highly preferred.

What about a tapas place?

Is anyone able to give a recommendation for a Cuban style restaurant near the Jw Marriott Marquis? We would prefer to get food with a local flare, not horribly expensive, somewhere we can show up dressed casually. Also a happy hour would be highly preferred.

A great little Spanish tapas place is Niu Kitchen on NE 2nd Ave. Not Cuban, but Catalan Spanish and frequented by locals. Reservations are recommended.

Havana 1957 is Cuban and a short walk from the JW. They do have a happy hour.

Any other cuisines?