Scenic Gems of the Danube 2015

jeb_bud

Jeb Bud, vesselfinder also shows Scenic Jasper in Vienna. Have to wonder what is up. Maybe they changed the south bound itinerary.

According to the hotel manager they did a ship swap with Opal. He assures me that the Jasper will be in Budapest for our embarkation next Monday.

I've been monitoring this web site. http://www.pegelonline.wsv.de/gast/karte/standard

They have color-coded dots indicating the navigability of the various river level monitoring stations. A few days ago most of the stations between Regensberg and Vilshofen were orange, meaning low water levels. Yesterday there were three orange dots and the rest green.

Today they are all green. If you hover over a dot you will see the water level, trend arrow and bar graph showing relative level. Most are on the borderline between green and orange, but I'm thinking Green is Good. Hopefully it will continue to rain in the upper Danube watershed and keep those water levels in the green!

Fairfield Nana, how many power outlets were in your room? Where are they? I don't remember reading that detail about the Scenic Jasper.

I am having second thoughts about my earlier decision not to buy a small power strip. I bought an auxilliary battery with two USB ports, which will allow me to charge two devices at once. That should be enough except when we are sleeping and DW's CPAP is plugged in. As long as there are at least two European style outlets we should be fine.

They have plenty of power ports, but you'll need to bring your own plug converters or borrow some from the ship. I also carry a small 3-port power strip that I only have to use one Euro-style port & plug. Didn't need it this cruise tho'. We had my CPAP, my camera batteries, wife's ipad and iphone, and curling iron plugged in at same time--getting the picture?

Meanwhile, I gotta get back to my project of deciding whether we should cancel our cruise on the Viking Star next July, given the major problems they are having (exploding shower doors, blown engines, cancelled itineraries without adequate reimbursement). Never cruised with, and may elect to keep that string intact.

Fairfield Nana, how many power outlets were in your room? Where are they? I don't remember reading that detail about the Scenic Jasper.

I am having second thoughts about my earlier decision not to buy a small power strip. I bought an auxilliary battery with two USB ports, which will allow me to charge two devices at once. That should be enough except when we are sleeping and DW's CPAP is plugged in. As long as there are at least two European style outlets we should be fine.

We were on the Scenic Jade, rather than the Jasper, but I can't imagine there would be fewer power outlets on a newer ship.

There were one each side of the bed, one in the wardrobe (closet to Americans), and two beside the mirror next to the TV. That was the available sockets, there were also some which had room stuff plugged in (clocks, tailormade chargers).

There was also another socket which I think was Australian style, the other side of the mirror.

Thanks for the info. I bought two plug adapters a few months ago, then found the one I thought I had lost so now we have three. That should be enough for our needs.

We leave for the airport in a little more than 36 hours. It's getting exciting.

Jazzbeau-- I am curious how long it takes for a review we submit for a ship (Jasper) gets published on the "reviews" part of this site. Sent it in couple days ago. Maybe that explains why no reviews of the Jasper are showing yet?

I don't know the answer. The Reviews section is moderated, so each review has to be reviewed [pun not intended, intended?, who knows!]. You will get an email when it is actually published.

Jazzbeau-- I am curious how long it takes for a review we submit for a ship (Jasper) gets published on the "reviews" part of this site. Sent it in couple days ago. Maybe that explains why no reviews of the Jasper are showing yet?

Why are all the ships not listed. No Scenic Gem. Scenic Gem started sailing last year.

Why are all the ships not listed. No Scenic Gem. Scenic Gem started sailing last year.

Only a fairly small proportion of cruisers even know about this forum, never mind posting here, and even fewer will post reviews.

With only 160 passengers per cruise, and probably no more than 25 cruises per ship, per year, there is a fair chance that a 1 year old ship just hasn't had anybody post a review yet.

Only a fairly small proportion of cruisers even know about this forum, never mind posting here, and even fewer will post reviews.

With only 160 passengers per cruise, and probably no more than 25 cruises per ship, per year, there is a fair chance that a 1 year old ship just hasn't had anybody post a review yet.

And even harder to post a review, with no ship to allocate it to.

I tried to post a review in the review section last year about our cruise on Scenic Gem, it just happened to be the first Scenic Seine cruise. There was no listing for Gem so I requested that it be added to the list of Scenic vessels I was informed that it took a few months but that it would be done. I haven't checked recently but Harbourside says it is still not on the list over a year later, not exactly a few months. I admit I was advised to start a new thread with the review but this still would not help as many people would not go to the next pages or bother to do a thread search. I wonder if this happens with all the different companies new ships as the come into service.

Happy cruising CA

I tried to post a review in the review section last year about our cruise on Scenic Gem, it just happened to be the first Scenic Seine cruise. There was no listing for Gem so I requested that it be added to the list of Scenic vessels I was informed that it took a few months but that it would be done. I haven't checked recently but Harbourside says it is still not on the list over a year later, not exactly a few months. I admit I was advised to start a new thread with the review but this still would not help as many people would not go to the next pages or bother to do a thread search. I wonder if this happens with all the different companies new ships as the come into service.

Happy cruising CA

There seems to be some inconsistency, because AmaDara is listed (under the write a review section) and it has only just started sailing this week.

Just set off from Budapest on Crystal which I expected. Last night Budapest had a months rainfall & similar throughout route so I think there are no worries about boat changes & buses! We have been lucky & not got wet. Looks to be getting warmer & drier in next few days. loads of power points in our cabin + a worldwide adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will wait and see if my review of Jasper gets posted. If not, oh well, not going to do over. Our Cruise Director mad a point of mentioning the website as a good source of info, as the earlier comment is right on the money " and most cruisers are not aware of it". Not sure if that's a good or bad thing;)

One editorial comment-- we noticed one heck of a lot more river boats this year than just last season. Granted we were on the Danube this time and not last year's Rhine cruise--thought Rhine was more popular.

We are changing to Jewel today as low water between Regensberg & Nuremberg. WE will be bussed to Nuremberg Board Jewel there to continue to Amsterdam. The Jewel lot will do the same & continue on Crystal to Budapest. Jewel & Crystal are almost exactly the same so apart from packing & unpacking I don't expect much change. The cruise director will come with us but rest of crew will change. Really enjoying the trip. Weather has been mixed but we have never got wet. Scenic have handles the hitch really well. Wee weren't sure about dress code but it is very casual & anything goes. Not al lot of dressing up at nights.For men jackets are in the minority.

In answer to your question Eorooe Traveler, if you are getting on in Budapest it will be Crystal & in Amsterdam it will be Jewel. Have a great time !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk