Scenic Gems of the Danube 2015

jeb_bud

Vilshofen also has Autobahn access, about 12 miles away, same Autobahn as from Passau to Regensburg. The Jasper is moored in Passau- Lindau about 2 miles down stream from Passau Old Town. Although there are factories and shops in the near, the moorings are not for freight carrying ships, but are customed built for cruise ships embarking / disembarking passengers, with plenty of space for cars / buses to deposit their passengers.

Maybe the big parking lot is why they moved to Passau. I've never been to Passau or Vilshofen so I have no idea how they compare as a base for bus touring. My Bavarian experience has been Munich and the roads west and south of Munich.

The Jasper moved back to Vilshofen last night. Interesting. When she was in Passau yesterday I was pleased to see where she was berthed. It was the first time I saw here berthed with her port side, where our cabin is, facing the river.

Scanning the river with Vesselfinder at around 13:00 UTC I saw three Avalon ships underway between Vilshofen and Regensgerg. Maybe that's a harbinger of good things to come in the next few weeks.

G.M.T, where do you live in Germany? I have some cousins in the Stuttgart area.

The Jasper moved back to Vilshofen last night. Interesting. When she was in Passau yesterday I was pleased to see where she was berthed. It was the first time I saw here berthed with her port side, where our cabin is, facing the river.

Scanning the river with Vesselfinder at around 13:00 UTC I saw three Avalon ships underway between Vilshofen and Regensgerg. Maybe that's a harbinger of good things to come in the next few weeks.

G.M.T, where do you live in Germany? I have some cousins in the Stuttgart area.

Passau

We leave Cincinnati on the 22nd for Budapest. Other posts make it sound like the passage from Passau to Regensberg very difficult and that captains have to use great caution. If the ship is going on to Amsterdam, the risk may be worth it versus canceling the cruise. For our cruise taking the risk just to get to Nuremberg may not be worth it.

Normally, the Budapest-Nuremberg trip with Scenic is a part of the Budapest-Amsterdam trip.

They sell both the full trip, or either half of it separately.

We are due to sail Budapest to Amsterdam 17th Aug.on Scenic Jewel. I got a phone call yesterday from Scenic saying things are moving normally at the moment but warning there may be some changes if levels remain low, eg change of vessel, but right now they are not expecting it. Fingers crossed!

Will keep you all informed. Just looked at 2 week weather forecast & there are some significant storms forecast for next week so if Jewel gets to Budapest I'm hopeful ! Either way we are determined to have good time. We travelled with Scenic to New Zealand in 2011 & got mixed up with the earthquake in Christchurch so had to spend an extra night short of Christchurch prior to flying home & the company handled everything very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to reading your trip report, especially the first three days. We're going Budapest to Nuremberg August 24. Hopefully the river will still be clear to Passau. I'm curious how Scenic handled your Nuremberg and Regensburg days.

Our cruise on the Jasper was outstanding and the only negative effect of the low water level was that we joined the ship to start our cruise in Passau and folks were bussed to Nuremburg to do planned tours for first day and to Regensburg to do second days tour. Regensburg was only half day and would have been nicer to spend more time in this lovely city--but had lots of fun anyway. Didn't do Nuremberg, but didn't want to anyway as we lived in Germany years ago. Had lots of fun spending time doing Passau and Vilshofen. Folks who went to Nuremburg had a 2 hour bus ride each way and it was a bit of a bother but all seemed to have a good time. No other impact that I could discern. On another note, Jasper is still getting a few bugs out being a new ship and expect her sister Opal to be the same.

Our cruise on the Jasper was outstanding and the only negative effect of the low water level was that we joined the ship to start our cruise in Passau and folks were bussed to Nuremburg to do planned tours for first day and to Regensburg to do second days tour. Regensburg was only half day and would have been nicer to spend more time in this lovely city--but had lots of fun anyway. Didn't do Nuremberg, but didn't want to anyway as we lived in Germany years ago. Had lots of fun spending time doing Passau and Vilshofen. Folks who went to Nuremburg had a 2 hour bus ride each way and it was a bit of a bother but all seemed to have a good time. No other impact that I could discern. On another note, Jasper is still getting a few bugs out being a new ship and expect her sister Opal to be the same.

Thanks for that update. We are on the August 24 Budapest to Nuremberg cruise. How long was the bus ride to Regensburg?

Also can you expand a little on the new ship bugs? Also which deck were you on?

I have decided to expect our cruise to end in Passau. If that happens I will call the cruise a success. If it keeps raining and the river rises and we make it to Nuremberg, so much the better.

The bus to Regensburg was about 90 minutes or so, not too bad. Beautiful city and worth 7-8 hours--only had under 4. We were in cabin PD312 and it was superb! Lots of room and the sun lounge is really cool--opens to great fresh air views and also allows more cabin space. Minor problems mostly due to new ship and crew were--

--food at dinner could have been a bit more diverse to include some local flavors, but it got progressively better each night. B'fast and lunch were always very good.

--A few local tour guides could have been better, but most were fantastic. Couple of times (as we heard from some other travelers--our tour guides were quite good) a couple of folks got left behind and had to be gone back for. Also hear some reports that a couple of guides were just putting in the time.

--Needed to be more mindful of the ages and infirmities of a few passengers as there were a couple of minor injuries while embarking/disembarking. To my knowledge, the only ship's staff helping to manage the shore excursions was the cruise director. They needed to employ the Uniworld concept of having a few of the young and enthusiastic staff assigned to other ship duties act as junior cruise directors or "CD trainees" on these shore tours.

-- Bus assignments were not adequately controlled as often 2 or 3 buses going to same place and folks got on whichever one they wanted to--often different coming and going. Probably big cause of a few getting left as I stated earlier.

--Captain and hotel manager often absent during evening dinner and other events, Did great job with their main duties but always nice to have them mingle more.

All of these issues are very easily fixed thus making them the #1 river cruise line they are trying to achieve. I'd travel Scenic again in a flash, but will probably go with Uniworld if we take any more river trips.

Probably more info than you wanted.

So pleased you enjoyed the cruise despite pitfalls ! Just about to take dog to kennels (boo hoo ) then fly to Budapest tomorrow ready to join boat on Monday.. Will try to keep posting while we are sailing so jeb_bud will know if we get past Passau ! I think you are a week after U.S. & plenty of rain forecast so I think you'll be OK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably more info than you wanted.

Absolutely not! I love all the detail. I'm glad you had a good trip.

We are in PP320. The PD suites were full when we booked our cruise. I think we'll be OK.

Did you ever feel a need for insect repellent?

We had no problems with the insects and the cabin sizes and layouts seemed quite similar--our friends certainly enjoyed theirs. Also, you won't be in your cabin all that much as the shore excursions keep you pretty busy as does the lounge and restaurant. Take advantage of your time in Portobello restaurant experience--everybody gets a shot at it, and the food & wine are excellent. If on the diamond deck take advantage of the Café Rive as it is another superb dining adventure. Main dining food is also good (even though they started out a bit less than spectacular, it still surpassed most everyones normal dining experience. Have fun!

We have never had mossy problems on the Danube or Rhine but we were warned about them on the Saone & Rhone cruise so took repellant with us only to discover that Scenic supplied it another +

Enjoy your cruises CA

What is a mossy problem?

According to the itinerary Scenic Jasper should be in Passau(or Regensburg), but the most recent info on marinetraffic.com shows her in Vienna, apparently headed back towards Budapest.

Does anybody have any idea what's up with that?

Mossy or mozzy aka mosquito colloquium used around the UK for the pesky little beasts ( in some cases not so little) .

Ships could be out of sync because of ship swapping.

CA not a rolling stone, predictive obviously picked up and did not like mozzy now wants to use muzzy, he ho

Edited by Canal archive