Wine List and Wines by the Glass?

suzyed

Hi all. Attached is my latest wine list spreadsheet, updated by reviewing recent information posted. Basically, I don't think any prices really changed - there was probably an error or two in the older list I worked from. (Doesn't make sense only one or two would change).

This version, I went to trouble of looking up all the sparkling wines as I had not done that before. Also, dug into the MD Specials - even though most of them were noted as not available. That could be a temporary stocking issue.

Note that some of the MD Specials are just highlighted from the main list and as such are duplicates.

Also, I do include a sales tax column, using South Florida rate, but I did not add those (generally) few cents into the total cost. You can download the spreadsheet and plug in your own sales tax value if buying at home.

I will be on the REGAL in two weeks and will photograph the wine list and update again when we return home two weeks later.

Meanwhile, enjoy. And of course, it you have the means to do it, you will be further ahead buying wine and bringing it on board. Princess is offering a lot of cheap stuff at high markup, so you can get much better value yourself.

I continue to be disappointed in the overall offerings compared to not many years ago.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Fall.xls

Edited by steelers36

Steelers36

I will be anxiously awaiting for your wine selection report from your sailing on Regal. We will be sailing on Royal in March (our first Princess cruise) and we like good wine. We have been used to the wine selection on Celebrity ships.

Steelers36

I will be anxiously awaiting for your wine selection report from your sailing on Regal. We will be sailing on Royal in March (our first Princess cruise) and we like good wine. We have been used to the wine selection on Celebrity ships.

Don't expect it to be anything much different at all. Princess doesn't vary wine lists by ship that I know of.

Thanks for all the good information. I have to admit I love my wine, but I usually get mine at Wal-Mart for just over $2.00 a bottle. It tastes good to me and it's inexpensive. I hate that Princess does not offer the wine packages on 7 day cruises. I think I will have to mention that in my next survey. I don't mind paying the mark up, I'm on vacation. I just don't like the limited choices of white wines. I tend to get the champagne splits as it seems like more bang for the buck. I appreciate the effort of the spread sheet, unfortunately I cannot open it as I have a new computer without Office and when I try to open it elsewhere I get a jumble of characters.

Candi

Edited by candigirl41

We bought the Gold card for 10 discounted bottles for a 10-day cruise and took Caribill's advice and brought home three bottles. A few nights onboard we decided to take the bottle back to the cabin and have it later...Stewart left clean glasses every night after that.

I think that the Maitre-d specials change constantly, so I didn't put in the new arrivals.

Steve

Can you get bottles of wine and wines by the glass in Vines with the AIBP?

Wines by the glass...anything $10 and under are included.

Wine by the bottle... 40% discount on the posted price.

I've read a couple of different posts where one person said if you ask for a drink that is over $10 you only pay the difference ($12.50 drink, you pay $2.50) I've seen others say anything over $10 is not included in the package and you would pay the full $12.50.

Others will now chime in. :p

Thanks for all the good information. I have to admit I love my wine, but I usually get mine at Wal-Mart for just over $2.00 a bottle. It tastes good to me and it's inexpensive. I hate that Princess does not offer the wine packages on 7 day cruises. I think I will have to mention that in my next survey. I don't mind paying the mark up, I'm on vacation. I just don't like the limited choices of white wines. I tend to get the champagne splits as it seems like more bang for the buck. I appreciate the effort of the spread sheet, unfortunately I cannot open it as I have a new computer without Office and when I try to open it elsewhere I get a jumble of characters.

Candi

I suggest you ask, and if your waiter says no, check with the head waiter. I bought a wine package on a 7 day - we were on for 14 but they were sold only as 7 day cruises. You should be able to get to "yes" for a wine package on a 7 day by being nice, and if necessary, persistent.:)

Edited by ggprincess2004

Steelers 36, thanx for posting that well done spreadsheet. We've been bringing our own wines for nearly 15 years and tho' we never calculated the savings, we assumed that was so, based on our many retail purchases. We don't consider ourselves wine snobs, but do know a thing or two about this "hobby" and most importantly, we know what we like. One of the problems that is just ubiquitous, not only on Princess, but many, many land restaurants as well...they have no clue about the right temperature (about 55°F) for the wine service. We haven't ordered wine on Princess in all of those years, but I was impressed with how many more selections they've added recently. Princess has also gotten better about using better stemware, if you ask. steve

Oh yeah, and not a criticism by any means, but when you buy your bottle on land (as we always do) you'll probably also have a state sales tax (8.25% here in Tx), tho' that won't stop us from bringing our own. Yeah, I like the Super Tuscans, but really, not much holds a candle, especially with food, to a great (or even good) Bordeaux...and the selection on Priness, is weak. steve

Oh yeah, and not a criticism by any means, but when you buy your bottle on land (as we always do) you'll probably also have a state sales tax (8.25% here in Tx), tho' that won't stop us from bringing our own. Yeah, I like the Super Tuscans, but really, not much holds a candle, especially with food, to a great (or even good) Bordeaux...and the selection on Priness, is weak. steve

You can easily change the tax percentage if you download your own copy of the Excel file. You can also modify the formula to add the bottle cost, the tax and the corkage fee for comparison purposes. Of course your base prices in TX may vary from Total Wine in FLL.

I had a client project in Houston over a year ago and I was using Spec's.

My husband is going to be having a couple cocktails during the day, wine at dinner and a scotch after while I have wine at dinner and a couple cocktails the whole cruise. It looks like it would be worth him getting the drink package and buying me 40% off bottles instead of paying a $15 corkage fee for my wine. It doesn't look like they mark the up that much compared to land so by the time you take 40% off it's a pretty good deal.

My husband is going to be having a couple cocktails during the day, wine at dinner and a scotch after while I have wine at dinner and a couple cocktails the whole cruise. It looks like it would be worth him getting the drink package and buying me 40% off bottles instead of paying a $15 corkage fee for my wine. It doesn't look like they mark the up that much compared to land so by the time you take 40% off it's a pretty good deal.

Sounds like a great arrangement. For us, neither of us drink a lot beyond wine at dinner. Maybe one bar purchase per day each. And some of those are virgins, so it just doesn't add up for us.

• 1 month later...
Hi all. Attached is my latest wine list spreadsheet, updated by reviewing recent information posted. Basically, I don't think any prices really changed - there was probably an error or two in the older list I worked from. (Doesn't make sense only one or two would change).

This version, I went to trouble of looking up all the sparkling wines as I had not done that before. Also, dug into the MD Specials - even though most of them were noted as not available. That could be a temporary stocking issue.

Note that some of the MD Specials are just highlighted from the main list and as such are duplicates.

Also, I do include a sales tax column, using South Florida rate, but I did not add those (generally) few cents into the total cost. You can download the spreadsheet and plug in your own sales tax value if buying at home.

I will be on the REGAL in two weeks and will photograph the wine list and update again when we return home two weeks later.

Meanwhile, enjoy. And of course, it you have the means to do it, you will be further ahead buying wine and bringing it on board. Princess is offering a lot of cheap stuff at high markup, so you can get much better value yourself.

I continue to be disappointed in the overall offerings compared to not many years ago.

Well done. This is really interesting. I only drink wine and find it true that we wine drinkers never get the advantage on price. Your chart is wonderful. I will take this to heart when 1/9/16 comes and I board the Royal. Me and my vino! Go Steelers. Alice

For AliceS and everyone else. I'm a little late in posting, but back from Regal last week and I do have an updated spreadsheet.

Nothing very significant in the changes. I borrowed a wine list one evening from our waiter and updated my computer in the cabin. Mostly spelling corrections, and I think one price by a $1 or so.

Remember that retail prices are approximate and based on what I could find online in US, but mostly source from TOTAL WINE in Fort Lauderdale.

Since Princess does not supply vintages (and I did not request a tour and examination of the wine cellar), I may be off in some cases. But you can expect Princess to be serving the most recent vintage for sale and not keeping stuff around (this is what I noticed on wines I purchased on board).

I had no opportunity to get to a wine store, so I chose wines with least mark-up that I thought we would enjoy.

You can also set your own sales tax rate in box M1.

Enjoy!!

Princess Wine List - 2015-Fall.xls

For AliceS and everyone else. I'm a little late in posting, but back from Regal last week and I do have an updated spreadsheet.

Nothing very significant in the changes. I borrowed a wine list one evening from our waiter and updated my computer in the cabin. Mostly spelling corrections, and I think one price by a $1 or so.

Remember that retail prices are approximate and based on what I could find online in US, but mostly source from TOTAL WINE in Fort Lauderdale.

Since Princess does not supply vintages (and I did not request a tour and examination of the wine cellar), I may be off in some cases. But you can expect Princess to be serving the most recent vintage for sale and not keeping stuff around (this is what I noticed on wines I purchased on board).

I had no opportunity to get to a wine store, so I chose wines with least mark-up that I thought we would enjoy.

You can also set your own sales tax rate in box M1.

Enjoy!!

Does Princess charge a service fee in addition to the corkage fee? Just off DCL and the charge a $20 corkage fee plus a 15% service fee.

Does Princess charge a service fee in addition to the corkage fee? Just off DCL and the charge a $20 corkage fee plus a 15% service fee.

All of my corkage charges have appeared on my statement as a flat $15. So no, nothing more has ever been added. Frankly, I would have challenged the additional charge that DCL tried to impose. That is just silly.

No, just the $15 corkage fee.

All of my corkage charges have appeared on my statement as a flat $15. So no, nothing more has ever been added. Frankly, I would have challenged the additional charge that DCL tried to impose. That is just silly.

Thank you for your replies.The Princess corkage fee is fair. We just brought a glass of wine to dinner on DCL as did many others.

Steelers, awesome job on the spreadsheet ! Very useful info.....wish this was done for EVERY cruise line with wine list.....sometime svery difficult to find even here on CC......may have to try to do this for Celebrity ( on Constellation in January)....

Any selections on that list that you have tried and would recommend?

Now, if we could work on changing your avatar.....to maybe something in tiger stripes ;)