Bringing Wine onto the Cruise ship

ORCATFAN

I have seen a few, hardly a lot. And the percentage of HAL cruisers that post on Cruise Critic is rather low, so your inference does not carry much weight.

The accusation about abusing the policy has also at times been aimed at people that brought cases of wine onboard. And again, how many people did that?

I don't know the answer to the question, but I do know it was reported here that a Hotel Director said the reason the wine policy was amended was due to the cases of wine put on in FLL. I believe it was LindaM who reported from her Prinsendam cruise?

In any case, the corkage fee lets me bring wine on so I am happy with that. :)

This whole business of restricting alcohol seems strange to me. It was no surprise on our HAL Alaska cruise this year, of course, as I always do my "homework" and it is something I will have to get used to on some cruise lines. In over 40 years of ocean travel I have never had someone look at our one or two bottles. I'm not complaining, just saying it was an amusing experience. The security woman at X-ray said: "You have bottles in your bag and must go to the table over there." We joined the short queue and the man asked us to remove the bottles of bubbly and inspected them to make sure they weren't gin, I suppose, then made a note on a form.

Cunard and P&O, for example, still allow any amount of wine and spirits to be carried on - despite what is published in their information. I have seen people carrying on a case of their favourite scotch or wine. As these two lines are part of the Carnival group I have to wonder if they will change their policy. It won't affect us as we have never had any desire to take on board more than one or two bottles.

I make no assumptions. I'm simply reporting what I've read on these boards over the years.

And how do you know those making those reports have not made assumptions? You really shouldn't make such declarations based on posts by others.

I don't know the answer to the question, but I do know it was reported here that a Hotel Director said the reason the wine policy was amended was due to the cases of wine put on in FLL. I believe it was LindaM who reported from her Prinsendam cruise?

In any case, the corkage fee lets me bring wine on so I am happy with that. :)

After that, I made sure I didn't go to the Q&A on our subsequent cruise. I thought I'd be banned for reporting what he said.

We on CC are a small percentage, but I found it shocking how many bragged here that they were bringing cases onboard. I wouldn't want the bother....just the luggage and carryons is already a pain! What is another $18 to drink a bottle of wine you truly love? If you can afford a cruise/air, you can afford the corkage. I was extremely upset at first, because I am not good with change! Now I feel it is just part of the cost of the cruise.

And how do you know those making those reports have not made assumptions? You really shouldn't make such declarations based on posts by others.

By that logic we should discount everything people say on these boards. And newspapers would be mostly blank pages - with ads.

I make no assumptions. I'm simply reporting what I've read on these boards over the years.

One of the major benefits of having been on this board for a lengthy period of time is that members like you can profit from the reporting of others over the years and bring that experience to current discussions.

This whole business of restricting alcohol seems strange to me. (snip) The security woman at X-ray said: "You have bottles in your bag and must go to the table over there." We joined the short queue and the man asked us to remove the bottles of bubbly and inspected them to make sure they weren't gin, I suppose, then made a note on a form(snip)

We had this happen to us only once--on our only-and-never-again Carnival ship cruise (Sunshine). They spent some time examining them at the table, and actually shone some kind of black light into each bottle! Just bizarre & made us feel like criminals.

One of the major benefits of having been on this board for a lengthy period of time is that members like you can profit from the reporting of others over the years and bring that experience to current discussions.

:D:D Really!

By that logic we should discount everything people say on these boards. And newspapers would be mostly blank pages - with ads.

No, by logic you should reserve judgement unless you observe something for yourself, and not state it as fact. I will think of you next May when I get my wine at the Ocean Bar and take it into dinner with me.;)

So, since you didn't observe it yourself, all of history is possibly a fable to you?

|

Not at all, I simply don't report other people's opinions as fact.

Again, you have assumed that anyone bringing their own glass of wine into the MDR brought it from their cabin.

Edited by Lizzie68

|

Not at all, I simply don't report other people's opinions as fact.

Again, you have assumed that anyone bringing their own glass of wine into the MDR brought it from their cabin.

And, again, no I didn't. What I did was retell the observations of others which I've read over the years. For the most part, people whose opinion I value.

When I am buying wine by the glass I also carry my glass from the Ocean Bar into the MDR as it takes forever to buy wine by the glass in there. I have never taken wine from my cabin to any public area of the ship---although I have been known to take it to other cabins. 😉

I also take exception when people lump me in with a general assumption that everyone who carries a glass to the dining room is trying to cheat the cruise line.

Unless it's changed recently, the glasses in your room are different from the ones that you get at the bars and restaurants. They're pretty easy to tell apart.

If it makes you feel better, I get at least one or two snide comments when we're carrying two bottles of wine to the table every night - three on formal nights. We just say, "This is nothing. Our table mates are bringing the rest."

Unless it's changed recently, the glasses in your room are different from the ones that you get at the bars and restaurants. They're pretty easy to tell apart.

If it makes you feel better, I get at least one or two snide comments when we're carrying two bottles of wine to the table every night - three on formal nights. We just say, "This is nothing. Our table mates are bringing the rest."

I was going to post the difference of the glasses, but you beat me to it. :rolleyes: We just returned from a RCCL cruise last week (the one that had a fire....toastie! I had an ah ha moment!!!! RCCL has stopped offering the wine package, we had 14 family members on board for a family reunion, I paid $560 for 15 bottles of wine......not top of the line ok, but drinkable. Another passenger mention he brings his own preferred wine and pays the corkage fee. Coming out cheaper in the end!!! ;) S

If I'd purchased the usual wine we drink, add the corkage fee on top, we'd still came out cheaper!!!! That's what I'll do from now on.

May I sit at your table? :D

Pot calling the kettle black, eh?

I'm not at all sure why you want to personalize this discussion. No one mentioned you, or your wine glass. Nor was it "my sources" who changed HAL's policy. We were simply speculating on why the policy changed and I offered a suggestion based on the observations of a number of veteran cruisers.

Should we ever cruise together I'll buy you a glass of Merlot in the OB and proclaim to all and sundry that not only have you not smuggled wine aboard but also that you didn't still the stewarts <sic>!

Well for one thing I don't like merlot, and secondly I'm a bit picky who I drink with. But should we ever be on the same cruise I will raise my glass to you as I pass you on my way to my table. I have only one piece of advice - make up your own mind based on your own observations before making blanket statements, unless, of course, you know for a fact that your "sources" follows everyone who was carrying a wine glass to ascertain where the wine came from. Happy cruising.:)

May I sit at your table? :D

Sure. If I recall correctly, your hubby isn't a wine drinker, so that's perfect.

We have the Signature Beverage Package for our next cruise. We're going to have to figure out the wine by the glass in the MDR. Part of the reason we take wine is so that it's there when we sit down. I suppose we can just place a standing order. We'll have to bring Champagne, but other than that, we're planning to go "full SBP." We've already tasted all the house wines. Are they as good as what we bring from home? In a word, No. But they were all perfectly fine. The biggest challenge is the temperature. I've found that HAL, and most restaurants in Florida, serve reds too warm and whites too cold. Things were easier in Maine, as I am sure they are in your part of the world. Normal year round temperatures are basically "wine cellar." I miss that.

I'm sure that we'll get it figured out within a day or two.

Edited by POA1

On the Eurodam in April. Brought 6 bottles of wine onboard and checked them, they put a sticker to identify. Probably will never get this lucky again, but I was not charged on my final bill for this!!

Did you inform HAL of the undercharge as I'm sure you would have reported a $108 overcharge?

And, again, no I didn't. What I did was retell the observations of others which I've read over the years. For the most part, people whose opinion I value.

To me, "retelling the observations of others" sounds an awful lot like spreading gossip. Nothing good or factual usually comes of that.

If a person wants to get really overwrought about people carrying around wine in glasses, consider how easy it is to get a wine glass from a bartender. "Hi, can I get two red wine glasses please?" and there you go, you now have official bar wine glasses. That opens the door to a vast pool of people carrying wine around, which may or may not be their own wine, and there is no way to tell :eek: :D

To me, "retelling the observations of others" sounds an awful lot like spreading gossip. Nothing good or factual usually comes of that.

One person's gossip is another person's news. Just ask Fox, or ABC, or NBC, or <shudder> CNN ;)