Bringing Wine onto the Cruise ship

ORCATFAN

On the Eurodam in April. Brought 6 bottles of wine onboard and checked them, they put a sticker to identify. Probably will never get this lucky again, but I was not charged on my final bill for this!!

I had a different experience on the Regal Princess in February: brought on extra wine and was sent to a table at checking for the corkage. A couple of days later I saw a charge on my account from a bar that we had not been to and went to dispute the charge at the front desk. It took a while to figure out what it was - I think they pulled the actual paper trail. It was the corkage :)

Also, I did not think to indicate which bottles I wanted corkage paid for so a bottle that I really wanted to share with friends at dinner ended up being the freeby so we had to drink it in the cabin. :(

I had a different experience on the Regal Princess in February: brought on extra wine and was sent to a table at checking for the corkage. A couple of days later I saw a charge on my account from a bar that we had not been to and went to dispute the charge at the front desk. It took a while to figure out what it was - I think they pulled the actual paper trail. It was the corkage :)

Also, I did not think to indicate which bottles I wanted corkage paid for so a bottle that I really wanted to share with friends at dinner ended up being the freeby so we had to drink it in the cabin. :(

On Holland America, the corkage typically shows up as a charge from the bar at which the check in person works. Luckily (?) for us, corkage on a couple of bottles of wine is pretty easy to spot. On our 3 HAL cruises in the last year, we were always asked which bottles we wanted for our free ones. For us, the answer is none. That's sometimes hard to explain. "But sir, you can take a bottle each for free."

That's a bummer about the incorrectly stickered bottles.

It would have been very easy to correct that mistake by lifting the sticker off one bottle and re-applying it to the other bottle. The free bottle becomes the paid bottle and the paid bottle becomes the free bottle. No harm done.

It's been done before ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

Trust me when I say that during my preparation, research and practice for my final sommelier exam, port was most definitely included in the general category of wine ;) both in theory and in practice! ... and I can assure you that I am average ;)

I agree, and it's confusing why someone would think otherwise. Ironic, if my recollection of the history of port is true, that this is simply wine made to withstand a sea journey.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

It would have been very easy to correct that mistake by lifting the sticker off one bottle and re-applying it to the other bottle. The free bottle becomes the paid bottle and the paid bottle becomes the free bottle. No harm done.

It's been done before ;)

Princess stamps the label, they don't use stickers. ;)

[quote name='SetAnOpenCourse']I agree, and it's confusing why someone would think otherwise. Ironic, if my recollection of the history of port is true, that this is simply wine made to withstand a sea journey.[/quote]

No, that's Madeira you're thinking of, but Madeira is also in Portugal so - you were close!

;)