MDR ? Do You Prefer Large group Table or Small Table

Gopher1934

I'm surprised to hear about people having to wait for other dinner mates before they can order, thus delaying their evening. I've always told my waiter upfront that I'm traveling alone and would like to catch evening activities so they take my order as soon as I sit down. I usually end up excusing myself while they are waiting for dessert as I'm done my meal.

I'd love to have the occasional lunch meal on my own, but DH believes in 'being joined at the hip'. :eek: How on earth did you manage to come to your arrangement without causing a fuss (as would happen in our case :)).

Being retired it would be nice whilst on board to have some Me Time, but apart from when he goes to the gym we are never apart. The spa is not for me so that is out as an option.

BTW, just to ease people's minds - I do love him, but there are times...:D

The first three cruises we took we were "joined at the hip". Thank God those were short cruises, only 4 days. We do not enjoy the same kind of activities at all. He loves the socialness of Trivia. I don't. He's Mr Sociable and I was always stuck as he gabbed with strangers everywhere on the ship. He was happy but I was miserable so we argued -- a lot.

Before our 4th cruise was booked I talked seriously to him at home about the problem and said I'd rather stay home than argue through another cruise. That is when we worked out the compromise and it has served us well on more than a dozen cruises, most longer than two weeks.

I don't really enjoy eating with strangers but it's worth the price to have so much 'me' time the rest of the day.

Hopefully you can work out some sort of compromise so you can occasionally have some time to yourself, a true vacation.

Edited by NMLady

I am right there with you. I cruise and vacation solo 90% of the time. I tried larger tables on a suggestion from a friend and did not enjoy them. Too much inane small talk, the sounds of pity from the other people when they know I'm solo, the boors who wanted everyone else at the table to know how superior they were to the rest of us, the family who seemed annoyed that I was assigned to their table, etc. I do not go a vacation to meet people; I go on a vacation to relax and explore and unwind. I work daily with the public; I have no desire to keep forcing conversations with more strangers. I'm NOT a loner, but when I travel alone, I like to keep it that way. I would rather get in, eat my dinner, get out and do other things, NOT have to wait for the rest of the table to order, eat (as slowly as they want), order another entree, another dessert, etc… If a spontaneous conversation starts up with someone next to me in one of the lounges, or at the pool, I'll be more than happy to talk. But, don't place me in a situation where I can't walk away.

This has been my experience of large tables as well. Last cruise, I did allow them to seat me at a large table as the MDR was full. After hearing all about one person's widowhood, and then loosing her daughter and having a man go on and on about the poor service on an excursion I had really enjoyed..... I wished I had just gone to the buffet. It was a very uncomfortable dining experience.

I am right there with you. I cruise and vacation solo 90% of the time. I tried larger tables on a suggestion from a friend and did not enjoy them. Too much inane small talk, the sounds of pity from the other people when they know I'm solo, the boors who wanted everyone else at the table to know how superior they were to the rest of us, the family who seemed annoyed that I was assigned to their table, etc. I do not go a vacation to meet people; I go on a vacation to relax and explore and unwind. I work daily with the public; I have no desire to keep forcing conversations with more strangers. I'm NOT a loner, but when I travel alone, I like to keep it that way. I would rather get in, eat my dinner, get out and do other things, NOT have to wait for the rest of the table to order, eat (as slowly as they want), order another entree, another dessert, etc… If a spontaneous conversation starts up with someone next to me in one of the lounges, or at the pool, I'll be more than happy to talk. But, don't place me in a situation where I can't walk away.

I could have written those same words. You summed up my feelings exactly!

While we enjoy meeting other people on board the ship, we prefer a table for two at dinnertime...

The main reason is that we find that on a large table, dinner can often stretch to over two hours...I am very uncomfortable sitting at a table that long.

We find that we can finish four courses easily in about an hour or an hour and a quarter at most. We can go to the early seating, and still make the early show in some cases.

We still meet other passengers by participating in daily team trivia and other games on board....:)

Never have any desire to dine with anyone except my traveling companions. I hate at lunch when you have to share. I know that makes me a cruise grinch!!

Add me and my hubby to the cruise grinch list. :) We skip have MTD and perfer a 2 top if we eat in the MDR