MDR ? Do You Prefer Large group Table or Small Table

Gopher1934

I Like to be at a large table of at least 8

have also been at tables of 10. We have always met great people and enjoy meeting people from all over the country or world.

At times we have been able to organize a group from our roll call to sit together

that has always been fun. We just get our reservations linked for dinning

I like the tables for 8 if they are round. With more than 50% hearing loss, if we are at a square table for 8-10 I will never hear or talk to people at the other end. On our first Majesty cruise we did get put at a table for 10 and we were the only ones that showed up all 3 days. Made for great service and people watching.

After a couple of really awkward and uncomfortable match-ups (ok, one was within a group I was traveling with where we all rotated among our group) where from the first moments of introductions I knew I would not be able to a) share anything about myself or b) contribute to the conversation, I want to be left alone and eat solo.

I'm not going on a cruise (or traveling for that matter) to make new friends. I'm going to enjoy myself. And for me being put in uncomfortable situations at meals is NOT fun.

I often travel on my own so love getting a larger table and mostly had great table mates. My most frequent cruising buddy is someone I met on a T/A cruise a few years ago.

Last year cruising with my brother we had terrible table mates (only 4 of us) who were drunk and swore all the time during the first dinner - we got a new table for the rest of the cruise!

Next month we will be on a 4 top with his beautiful children so will have fun.

Edited by Deeliteful

We almost always have MTD and prefer a table for two until we meet people that we get along well with during the cruise and then we will often dine together as a group on a few occasions.

One of the great things about dynamic dinning on Quantum was the ease of organising a dinner with new friends in a venue of choice without having to pay an upcharge.

HI All :)

With only 4 days until we leave...should I change my table? There are 3 of us, mom, dad, and teenager (who will likely leave us in the dust at desert every night due to fun kids club. We love meeting other people...(and love each other)...and so we picked a table for 6.

But it seems that for some of you that is awkward. Should I move us to a table of 8??

Help please, time is running out. :)

HI All :)

With only 4 days until we leave...should I change my table? There are 3 of us, mom, dad, and teenager (who will likely leave us in the dust at desert every night due to fun kids club. We love meeting other people...(and love each other)...and so we picked a table for 6.

But it seems that for some of you that is awkward. Should I move us to a table of 8??

Help please, time is running out. :)

It's probably too late to make a dining request through the normal pre-cruise channels. I'd wait until you get onboard, see what kind of table you have been assigned, and then decide if you want to change.

We prefer a large group table for eight or twelve. The large tables are always really fun. Also quite often not everyone shows up at all, so it's nice to have a big table where you'll at least have the company of six or eight people each night.

Jonathan

We prefer a large group table for eight or twelve. The large tables are always really fun. Also quite often not everyone shows up at all, so it's nice to have a big table where you'll at least have the company of six or eight people each night.

Jonathan

It just feels weird to be sitting at a 10 or 12 top all alone.

1438088975509.jpg.daf6516f90300a4247e2f487fd964ba0.jpg

I like a larger table but my wife wants that table for 2 unless with friends, but last cruise we could not get the table on 1st night and really enjoyed our tablemates and decided not to switch to a smaller table when given the option.

We enjoy large settings- I have done just for 2 and a table of 5 and I have to say that I enjoyed the group better since I am very outgoing. We would be there for supper most every night because we really do not do the specialty restaurants.

Table for two. Same reason as others have said. I don't eat with strangers on land and it's awkward making idle chit chat.

Same here. I'm not an outgoing person, and DW talks to the public all day at work, so the last thing we want to do on a cruise is be with others while eating. Mealtime is private time. Elsewhere is fine for making new friends, but not then.

Every time we have sat with a group, it reminds me of my high school reunions. Conversation degrades into a one upsmanship contest. We don't need that. :confused:

Table for two works for us. If folks on either side wish to converse, ok. If not, ok. If we meet folks onboard and we click, maybe a dinner or two together.

Don't get me wrong. We are both people persons and are willing to converse with anybody.

I am an early riser and wife sleeps in. Coffee in the early morning brings others of the same ilk together and we tend to form our own coffee club. Just open honest chat. Nobody cares what life anyone else has.

Wife and I have different interests. She goes her way and I go mine. We always eat together and share our day over our meals. After 55 years of marrage, we both need our own time. Both of us appreciate our vacation in our own way. Can return home and put up with each other until the next cruise. ;) Which by the way we are planning before we cruise in September.

Some tours together and a few by ourselves. Checking bucket list for the next one. Alaska or New England or Panama full transit ????? Only question is which one first. We have plenty of time to decide while we cruise home from England to Fort Lauderdale.

It depends on our mood and the company...thats why anytime dining is great.

We mostly have a table for 2 but have enjoyed tables of 6 and 8 immensely whether we have been with friends or just us 2. The only time it did not work was we were at a long style table for 8 for sea day brunch and the other 6 were all from the same state who were polite but didn't really want to bother with this British couple that were 30 years younger than all of them.

I think a 10 top would be too big but you never know.

Edited by Velvetwater

Large table...we LOVE tablemates! We look forward to dinner and conversation with our "dinner buddies"! It's fun!

Hubby and I love each other, too (just like a previous poster!), and eat 99.9% of our meals together all the time, every day....that doesn't mean we don't enjoy others for a couple hours! On the ship, we have 22 hours of "just us" time.

Some folks are just loners. We're not.

Edited by cb at sea

We HATE tables for more than 8 and round tables. We can only hear the people sitting next to us without shouting at big tables. I usually email the Maitre'd and ask for a long table for 6 or 8. Sometimes there are 10 but that's OK. We like to change seats each night so everyone can see other parts of the dining room.