"Free" Ultimate Beverage Package Questions

les2sfm

You can get an idea of the current drink prices here. You need to drink 5-6 of the more expensive cocktails or wines by the glass every day to break even. With the Epic's itinerary, you will have to drink that much every evening after touring.

While I am a fan of the UBP, I don't think I would purchase it for this cruise. Instead, I would order a few bottles of wine through Viva Vino and/or carry on some wine and pay corkage, and possibly buy a bottle of liquor with mixers for the stateroom (you can see the bottle prices on the menu linked to above).

Any self serve coffee is free eg. in the atrium from the coffee pot - anything they have to make for you is paid for so all lattes, cappuccinos, espressos you have to pay. At meals, standard coffee served in a pot is free.

You haven't answered whether or not it's included in the UBP. You say if they have to make for you is paid for, then at sentence end you say "you have to pay". Are the specialty coffees included in the UBP?

I told somebody a few months ago on here that I've heard from many people in the know even before Del Rio check charge that Ncl wanted to go after a 18-35 demographic that's why the sky is now completely all inclusive and most of their deals monthly include the ultimate beverage package. There will always be a place for families but this is a new day in cruising. Don't fret it's ok relax have fun and party the night away

I'd bet most 18-35 year olds do not have the 35 days of vacation a year that this 50 something does. And compared to when I was in rhat age bracket I now have a lot more disposable income. A lot.

You haven't answered whether or not it's included in the UBP. You say if they have to make for you is paid for, then at sentence end you say "you have to pay". Are the specialty coffees included in the UBP?
But if you read a few posts further, it was answered.

Does anyone know what coffees are included in the UBP (excluding the normal free buffet coffee of course)?

None. The only coffee included is the same as is included in cruise fare for all passengers.

This is taken from NCL web site and states certain Larazza coffee beverages. I did not see anything further. Perhaps a coffee adult beverage is covered like a Kahlua and coffee.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $11. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $11 will receive an $11 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

This is taken from NCL web site and states certain Larazza coffee beverages.
It says "select Lavazza coffee beverages", by which they mean that their Lavazza coffee beverages are "select", not that some Lavazza beverages are included and some are not. None of them are included in the UBP. I know you can get espresso martinis, and I don't know exactly what goes into those, but I don't believe they are made with a freshly pulled shot of select Lavazza espresso :p

I'd bet most 18-35 year olds do not have the 35 days of vacation a year that this 50 something does. And compared to when I was in rhat age bracket I now have a lot more disposable income. A lot.

Depends on the job and how successful you are

1. Am I correct that the 18% tip charge is collected when the final payment is made about 90 days before the cruise? If this is the case, how do they calculate the amount? It must be different depending on the length of the cruise.

2. Or is added to the shipboard account as soon as I am on the ship?

3. Or is it added to each drink and then placed on my account?

Edited by Coasty

1. Am I correct that the 18% tip charge is collected when the final payment is made about 90 days before the cruise? If this is the case, how do they calculate the amount? It must be different depending on the length of the cruise.

For the current FC promo the service charge is added to your balance for final payment. The rates for various lengths of cruises can be found in the term and conditions of the offer. It is based on the $59/day onboard purchase price for short cruises (3-4 days) and the $54/day advance purchase price for longer cruises. In other words, for a longer cruise they will add $9.62 to your final balance for every day of your cruise.

For the current FC promo the service charge is added to your balance for final payment. The rates for various lengths of cruises can be found in the term and conditions of the offer. It is based on the $59/day onboard purchase price for short cruises (3-4 days) and the $54/day advance purchase price for longer cruises. In other words, for a longer cruise they will add $9.62 to your final balance for every day of your cruise.

Thanks for the lead. However this is what I found:

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package prior to cruise.

We have made our final payment and I do not see any additional charge for UBP. In our case it would be $97.20 X 2 = $194.40 Think I would have noticed that:rolleyes:

Thanks for the lead. However this is what I found:

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package prior to cruise.

We have made our final payment and I do not see any additional charge for UBP. In our case it would be $97.20 X 2 = $194.40 Think I would have noticed that:rolleyes:

deleted

Edited by emcelh

If you're not booked in a suite, then I don't know what to tell you. The service charge should normally have been added. If you have solid confirmation from NCL that your booking includes the UBP then I wouldn't ask too many more questions…

If you're not booked in a suite, then I don't know what to tell you. The service charge should normally have been added. If you have solid confirmation from NCL that your booking includes the UBP then I wouldn't ask too many more questions…

That's what I was thinking:D

2. Or is added to the shipboard account as soon as I am on the ship?

3. Or is it added to each drink and then placed on my account?

Did you purchase the package or receive it as a promo? If you received it as a promo, it was added to your account when you booked, since you booked after June 1. If you purchased the package, you paid at the time the package was purchased, regardless of when you booked or when final payment on your cruise was due.

Did you purchase the package or receive it as a promo? If you received it as a promo, it was added to your account when you booked, since you booked after June 1. If you purchased the package, you paid at the time the package was purchased, regardless of when you booked or when final payment on your cruise was due.

Here is what I find when I do a mock booking and choose CHOB (UBP)

GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $277.02

There are no other charges, total cruise price $2.795.02

On my cruise docs. it shows - rate code CHOB(UBP)

Total NCCF (port charges) $550.00

Taxes/Fees $277.02

There are no other charges, total cruise price $2,772.86

There should have be an additional $213 for the UBP. I got a great deal:D

Well, the latest promo (which I think is about to end but lasted for two months?) has been giving UBP to everybody who wants it (exception: those booking Studios). This means pretty much anybody who drinks is likely to have selected UBP over the other promos. The longer this "free liquor to them as wants it" promo continues, the greater the incentive for NCL to restrict liquor wait staff. There are plenty of reviews out there that have said two things: (1) longer waits at bars and (2) no longer are pax being "hassled" by waiters looking to make sales. "Aggressive" bar wait staff used to be a common complaint; now it's pretty much the opposite: where are the servers?!

Given all this I think it's a very fair bet (and suspicion) that IN FACT NCL has been cutting back on bar service. Obviously there's a limit -- they need to please customers and if you simply couldn't get a "free" drink no matter how hard you tried, that is going to lead to a lot of negative feelings about the cruise -- NCL already has a fairly well deserved reputation for "bait-and-switch." In the long run restricting liquor service might wind up hurting NCL, but in the short run it's likely the opposite. NCL would hardly be the first corporation to focus on the (VERY) short term when making decisions.

Whereas there used to be a clear incentive for NCL to try to SERVE as much liquor as possible (because there was no UBP and every drink put money into the coffers), there now is a pretty clear incentive for NCL to do the exact opposite since most every drink served dings their bottom line.

If they continue with "free" UBP in the coming months, you should be able to read the writing on the wall: UBP will lose some of its value as NCL puts less emphasis on giving away free liquor.

You're presumption, which may be correct, is that if more people are given this promo, there will be more demand for alcohol. That may not necessarily be correct.

I think a heavy vacation drinker would drink heavily on vacation regardless of whether they purchased the package or received it for free, so that wouldn't cause a change in bar service demand.

Very light drinkers or those that don't drink at all will take a different promo, again no change in bar service demand.

It's the middle of the road person where this will potentially drive different behavior. Someone who was on the fence about getting the package but wasn't sure they could keep up every day to make it worth spending the money to purchase it. I think if this type of person purchased the package, they would be inclined to drink more than they normally would because they need to justify how much they've spent. However, if they received it for free, they could drink how much they want to like they normally would, rather than trying to drink more to justify expense. Here again I think that there is no change in demand.

NCL probably knows their demographics have an idea where they are going to land with this promotion. There are two areas where I think extra demand could be driven. Where things could be different, and more in line with what you are presupposing is if this promo attracts a disproportionate number of heavy drinkers. This I think may be the case on cruises where heavy drinkers would be more likely to be present anyway; spring break cruises and the like. So really you are back to a situation where if you are trying to avoid difficult bar service, or dislike too many heavy drinkers, avoid the cruises which attract those types of customers. But really, that is the same considerations that there are today without the promo. The other area where demand could be increased is with budget conscious drinkers. Those that would drink more but do not want to spend any more than X. I have no idea how many of these folks there could be.

I am of course making wild guesses as well and could be completely wrong. Unintended consequences being so unpredictable and all.

Edited by Beachcampin

Here is what I find when I do a mock booking and choose CHOB (UBP)

GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $277.02

There are no other charges, total cruise price $2.795.02

On my cruise docs. it shows - rate code CHOB(UBP)

Total NCCF (port charges) $550.00

Taxes/Fees $277.02

There are no other charges, total cruise price $2,772.86

Cool. This picture shows what my account shows, but we have not made final payment. Once we do, that amount will not appear like that anymore.

promofee_zpsffteqaiz.jpg

If I understand correctly, you booked just a couple of days ago on July 28 and paid in full right away (already within 75 days of sail date). Maybe there is a glitch with last-minute bookings and the computer fails to add the service charge? That would be useful to know (except that NCL knows it now, too… :p)

I was told that any drink up to $11 is included, and that if a drink is over $11, you get an $11 discount. So a $13 drink would cost you $2.

What I am wondering is, with all these free beverage packages, are they going to intentionally understaff the bars to make it take longer to get a drink?

I never waited more then 1 minute to get a drink, whatever bar I was at.

Since I am in a suite on NCL I get the UBP. I will continue to drink moderately. In the past I have gotten a bar setup. No need now. I also like my cocktails on the weak side. UBP makes it easy. No worries of not getting my money's wortk.