Flamsbana, tenders and suitable time

Dayspring

On 22 August, a dear friend and and I are heading for Norway by MS Rotterdam 🎉 Our first port will be Flåm. We'd love to do the Flåm Railway but are wondering what time will be most suitable.

We'll arrive in Flåm at 08.00 AM and departure will be at 6 PM. It's a tender port, so just hopping off and on the ship isn't possible. Taking this into account, what time will be better:

- depart at 09.45 AM and return at 11.55 AM

- depart at 01.35 PM and return at 03.40 PM

(somewhere at lunch time the Flamsbana excursion organized by HAL takes place)

I hope you can give me some advice!

If you aren't in a suite, or a 4* Mariner, then you have to wait while those on HAL excursions tender first. Add to that any problems with docking, clearing immigration, etc. and I'd choose the afternoon train.

Are you sure that it is a tender port for you? We have been to Flam several times and we have always docked there. it's not listed as a tender port for the Rotterdam, either.

The railway station is just a short walk away from the ship. You must be aware that tickets for the railway sell very quickly. A lot of roll call members take the opportunity of forming a group - then you're allowed to pre-book online. If you want to buy individually, you must be VERY early to be able to buy a ticket before they are sold out, which usually happens an hour after they start selling them. There are huge crowds of people forming a line to snag one of the tickets. We have been lucky several times to get one for the earliest train because we were early to get off the ship and walked quickly to stand in line at the railway station office half an hour before it even opened.

The tours the cruise lines offer are much more expensive - the advantage is getting a seat on one of the reserved waggons of the train, the tickets that are sold for individual travellers are in the front of the train ( another queue!). Always try to be as early as possible because window seats are limited and there's a rush to board the train!

If possible try to get a seat on the right-hand side for the trip up and change to the other side on your trip down.

That being said - don't miss the train ride. it's one of the highlights of a trip to Norway! Yes - and there really are nymphs ( or whatever) in skimpy dresses appearing for seconds near the waterfall...;)

We were on the 7/4 sailing on the Ryndam. Originally we were scheduled in Flam to be a tender port but we were the only ship in Flam that day and we docked at the pier. We took the 1:35 train and that was just as loaded with tours as the morning times. There will be a seat for everyone and the train station is just a 2 minute walk from the pier. Go for a window seat where the windows open for best pictures and I recommend the right side of the train to Myrdal. The fairy singer was cool, a bit cheesey but still fun. Our nymph was dressed in a long flowy red dress. When you get to Myrdal watch your time as the conductor adheres to a strict schedule. Barely time for a potty break let alone standing in line for a drink in the cafe.

Enjoy!

Thanks for your helpful answers! So glad to read that we won't be tendering (checked it out, I didn't even know that this information can be found online!)! I just made a reservation for the 01.35 PM train. Already looking forward to it!

Edited by Dayspring

.....I just made a reservation for the 01.35 PM train. Already looking forward to it!

Is it still true only groups of 10 or more can reserve their spot on the trains?

So I was wondering if your ticket will give you direct access to the train, and does it state the exact date/time and a designated coach number?

Or do you still need to queue up somewhere to have it validated and get your couch assignment?

Is it still true only groups of 10 or more can reserve their spot on the trains?

So I was wondering if your ticket will give you direct access to the train, and does it state the exact date/time and a designated coach number?

Or do you still need to queue up somewhere to have it validated and get your couch assignment?

I was able to make a reservation for two and paid by creditcard. My reservation confirmation says:

You have booked:

The Flam Railway Flåm (Flåm) - Myrdal (Myrdal)

Outbound: 24 AUG 2015

1:35 PM Flåm

2:31 PM Myrdal

(number ####)

Homebound: 24 AUG 2015

2:43 PM Myrdal

3:40 PM Flåm

(number ####)

2 x adult

840.00NOK

The confirmation includes a reservation number and a barcode.

Edited by Dayspring

You will wait boarding in 2 different queues, single ticket passengers and groups. Groups of 10 or more are boarded first and brought forward to the front cars, then they let the single ticket people board the remaining cars. Everyone seemed to rush to the cars for the best seats, I presume.

We found some short hiking trails up into the hills on the left as you disembark, that we walked before boarding our 1:30 train.

Enjoy!

Since you're taking the afternoon train, use some of your morning to go to the Railway Museum and learn about the building of this rail line.

We were in Flam about 10 years ago, and took the train independently. We were lucky to be the only ship in port, and even so I think the train sold out. I don't know if they still do this, but at Myrdal they had everyone switch sides, so we all got a chance at the spectacular views down the mountain.

Since you're taking the afternoon train, use some of your morning to go to the Railway Museum and learn about the building of this rail line.

We were in Flam about 10 years ago, and took the train independently. We were lucky to be the only ship in port, and even so I think the train sold out. I don't know if they still do this, but at Myrdal they had everyone switch sides, so we all got a chance at the spectacular views down the mountain.

When we were there, switching sides was left to people making personal choices with their neighbor across the aisle. The railroad staff took no control of that.

Another option, albeit a bit more expensive (but still cheaper than HAL) is to book via Rail Europe. We did that when we went and you don't have to wait in any ticketing line, you go straight to the "get on the train line". We were first in line and had our pick of seats.