Popping the question on a cruise

Heronymous

I was thinking of popping the question on the cruise (I know the answer will be yes), and wondering if anyone has done, or seen this done before? I'm trying to think of some creative way to do this and make it special. I don't want to do it if this is commonplace and I'm just yet another guy doing it, but if it's not... I'm thinking of seeing if NCL can maybe facilitate some way to help me and make it fun. My PCC said he was going to reach out to the event coordinator but I haven't heard anything yet.. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about doing something like this?

-Keith

Hi, I did not get engaged on a cruise ship, but I got married on one and it was fantastic. There are so many crew members that I am sure would be willing and able to help you. Maybe they can write Will You marry me on a cake, or find another way to pop the question. You can probably also ask one of the photographers to be there to capture the moment, if you want to. Good Luck!

Is there some way they could fly a Let's Spend our Lives Together or Will You Marry Me? banner on a sea day? Do you have a balcony? Could a special meal be delivered to your room as a surprise? Or how about a serenade at a special restaurant? Maybe the captain could deliver the ring?

Is she a more private person, or would she want a group to watch? That is important.

Good Luck!

I was thinking of popping the question on the cruise (I know the answer will be yes), and wondering if anyone has done, or seen this done before? I'm trying to think of some creative way to do this and make it special. I don't want to do it if this is commonplace and I'm just yet another guy doing it, but if it's not... I'm thinking of seeing if NCL can maybe facilitate some way to help me and make it fun. My PCC said he was going to reach out to the event coordinator but I haven't heard anything yet.. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about doing something like this?

-Keith

Havent seen/heard of anyone doing it on the ship itself, but depending on where you're sailing, there may be a neat/unique/romantic way of doing it in one of your ports. I did it on the land portion of an Alaskan cruise. I had planned on doing it on a helicopter glacier landing excursion out of Juneau, but it was cancelled that morning. Ended up doing it in Denali National Park.

It is done all the time.

Check on Norwegian's website. On the left hand side is a cloumn that says Design Your Cruise, under it is Group Cruises- Special Events.

This must be a very popular idea this week, yours is about the 4th thread with the same idea, I have read.

We got engaged on a Princess cruise. I'm obviously not aware of all the trouble my husband went into to make it happen but I know that many employees were helpful. He popped the question during a public event and we were offered a bottle of sparkling wine on the house!

-Keith

My now DH and I got engaged on the Epic in 2013. We're both fairly private people, so my DH didn't have NCL get involved. He proposed while we were sitting on our balcony during an evening at sea. We celebrated with a bottle of our favorite champagne that he insisted we bring on board. We sailed the Epic again this year, and while we didn't stay in the same room, we strolled past for the memories.

Like I said, we're fairly private people, not really into being in the spotlight, and I would have been almost embarrassed if he proposed in a public place. If you'd like to do something more public, you could talk to the Maitre'D shortly after boarding if you'd like to propose over dinner or in one of the specialty restaurants. Decks are also fairly quiet at night. Also, maybe follow up with your PCC again or order something through the gifts and more program.

Good luck! Getting engaged during a cruise is an awesome memory.

My now husband proposed on a cruise. It was such a surprise. It was on a cruise to the Mexican Riveira. After what I thought was a normal evening, we got to the cabin and there were flowers everywhere. I was so fixated on the fact that I thought the room steward made a mistake and delivered flowers to the wrong cabin because I did not think that my husband would have done such a thing. While I was going on and on about this, my husband said: "can you be quiet so I can do this!!!" I was speechless and did not say anything for a good ten minutes which is unusual for me!!! I thought this was so great to get engaged while cruising because we both love cruising so much. We did the Mexican Riveira cruise for our honeymoon 6 months later. Wonderful memories we still talk about 6 years later.

I actually got engaged on the Spirit (both of our favorite ship) in 2009. It was while we were docked in Bermuda. Just after sunset we took a walk out on the bow area and popped the question right there. It was simple but neither of us are the overly fancy types so it was perfect for us.

This reminds me of one of my favourite stories about my dad's buddy Steve.

Steve and his girlfriend (who's now his wife) went on their first ever cruise about ten years ago on RCI. He was always planning to propose on the last night and was planning to do something private, either on their balcony or on the helipad. However, once they got on the ship they ended up having a really good table of tablemates at dinner and they all became really close friends, so instead of doing something private Steve ended up proposing at the last dinner.

The night before, when his girlfriend was at the bathroom, he let the tablemates in on what he was planning to do, and then at the last dinner they got engaged.

My now DH and I got engaged on the Epic in 2013. We're both fairly private people, so my DH didn't have NCL get involved. He proposed while we were sitting on our balcony during an evening at sea. We celebrated with a bottle of our favorite champagne that he insisted we bring on board.

I would hate a public proposal. To me, it is a very special and personal moment and I would hate to have others watching my reaction.

I can't think of anything lovelier than being proposed to on our balcony or a private spot on deck (preferably under a full moon) with the promise of a lifetime of cruising and many other wonderful adventures together. You could advise the steward and have him waiting outside the door with a bottle of champagne and maybe chocolate covered strawberries or whatever your girl likes at a precise time.

It all comes down to the personality of your girlfriend and her dreams. You could possibly have a close friend or her mother help you out. Chances are they know exactly what she would like.

My first marriage was a proposal on a cruise. He went to the piano bar early in the day told the crew he wanted to propose and they took care of everything. When we arrived I was led to a table in the center of the room where it was covered in beautiful table cloths and flowers. Chocolate covered strawberries And Champagne. The man continues to play piano and I started to cry immediately. My point is, the crew will help you!!! Congratulations and good luck! We will all want to hear about it when you get back!

Is there some way they could fly a Let's Spend our Lives Together or Will You Marry Me? banner on a sea day? Do you have a balcony? Could a special meal be delivered to your room as a surprise? Or how about a serenade at a special restaurant? Maybe the captain could deliver the ring?

Is she a more private person, or would she want a group to watch? That is important.

Good Luck!

Now that gave me an idea! Why not go to the glow party and have the proposal displayed on the screen just before the party gets started???? Or displayed on the big screen just before the fireworks start???? I'd be impressed! :)

Wherever you propose, DO NOT FORGET TO HAVE A PHOTOGRAPHER THERE TO RECORD IT!

Edited by weelv2cruise

My son proposed to his now wife no the Breakaway in June of 2012. With the help of Julie, the cruise director. It was done in LeBistro. The table was set up where my daughter-in -law could not see anything coming from the kitchen. When they brought dessert they put hers down last. What they did was on a large white square plate in chocolate they wrote "will you marry me"!!!! It was AWESOME. Then she told them that she was taking the plate home LOL!!

If you want to propose in a public setting, perhaps during one of the shows they could "work you into the act". Talking to the cruise director for help is a great idea if you'd want to do something like that.

If you're looking for something more private, you could certainly arrange a lovely dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.

Wishing you much happiness and if you do propose on board, hope you'll come back and tell us all about it.

Tracy

We just sailed on the Getaway in June and right before we set sail a plane flew by with a sign "....will you marry me?"

DH and I laughed and said I hope the answer is yes or else it was going to be a really long week for them! :)

The gentleman who will do me the honor of marrying me in six hours (today!) proposed to me in LeBistro on our last cruise last October 1. We're rather private people, and he's not one to celebrate something like this in front of a large group of people, but if he had, I'd've been crying so much I wouldn't have been able to answer.

We're getting married sixteen years to the day of our first date. Society forced a very long courtship; changes in society allowed this to finally happen.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

The gentleman who will do me the honor of marrying me in six hours (today!) proposed to me in LeBistro on our last cruise last October 1. We're rather private people, and he's not one to celebrate something like this in front of a large group of people, but if he had, I'd've been crying so much I wouldn't have been able to answer.

We're getting married sixteen years to the day of our first date. Society forced a very long courtship; changes in society allowed this to finally happen.

--Michael

Congratulations!! This story madre me tear up.

--Michael

We're so very happy for you & Chad. Wishing you a lifetime of happiness together.

Stephen & Daniel

Thanks for the replies everyone, my PCC is supposed to have the cruise director contact me. I know my GF very well, I know she would love the public idea, and to have it captured so she can replay it forever. Whatever I wind up doing, I'll be sure to have someone recording it. Thanks everyone!