Live from Vantage River Navigator--Rhine & Moselle

FuelScience

Here's how the dining room is currently configured:

So all 3 8 tops are reserved + one 6 top and the captain's table? Is this one large group that's traveling together? Are they reserved at breakfast and lunch a well? If that's one group of 42 people, I can understand Vantage giving them pretty much whatever they want....that's 1/3 of the entire passenger list! Not saying it's not fair, just saying I can understand why it's happening.

I can understand your frustration, but there appear to be plenty of 6 tops available up and down several by windows...8 tops are pretty big, I wonder if they're limited as to where they can be placed. Personally, I like the 6 top and don't mind the upper level because it tends to be more comfortable temperature wise.

Edited by Hydrokitty

So all 3 8 tops are reserved + one 6 top and the captain's table? Is this one large group that's traveling together? Are they reserved at breakfast and lunch a well? If that's one group of 42 people, I can understand Vantage giving them pretty much whatever they want....that's 1/3 of the entire passenger list!

In my chart I made a mistake (will I ever get this right?). The two largest tables are 12 each, not 12 and 8. Both reserved. So total seating capacity is actually 140 pax.

No, the reservation restriction is for dinner only -- all is open the rest of the time. Of course, the groups tend to gravitate towards their normal reserved areas anyway. It's not one big group, it's three different ones.

We are now en-route to Amsterdam. This is first time the internet has been up since we left Cochem.

Yesterday, at 8:30am in Cologne, they disembarked all passengers at the Chocolate Factory docking area, and headed off to the shipyard. We had a 2-hour walking tour of the Cathedral area, and then were on our own until 3:30 pm. We received 25 euros each for lunch.

At 3:30 we met at a brauhaus and had complimentary Kolsch and a pretzel, then headed back to the docking area. But no ship. The CD said ship was still not back in the water. Each half hour she reported the same thing -- kind of like being at the airport and getting continual updates on your delayed flight. But finally, shortly after 6:00 pm, the ship finally did arrive. So yes, it was a long afternoon.

The normal schedule would have had us leaving Cologne at noon and seeing the river as we sailed during the afternoon. But now we're 6+ hours behind schedule. The Amsterdam tours scheduled for the morning have been shifted to the afternoon, and the planned afternoon free time eliminated. Overall, not a bad end to what could have been an unpleasant situation. The ship appears to be sailing completely normally now.

... Overall, not a bad end to what could have been an unpleasant situation. The ship appears to be sailing completely normally now.

I must have missed something. Did something happen to the ship?

Nevermind, went back at re-read the last page.

Edited by Shmoo here