Live from Vantage River Navigator--Rhine & Moselle

FuelScience

My most favorite lunch on our recent cruise was (sorry, can't remember what it was called on the menu -probably some really fancy title), but it was basically creamed chicken on toast. Also, I liked the chicken, bacon & guacamole bagel.

The candy dish on the reception desk was a fruit flavored taffy (have to see if I saved one of the wrappers). For both legs of the B2B (different hotel managers on each leg). But the Captain was the same.

Wow, that brings back memories! We used to have creamed chicken on toast every Sunday night for supper....we called it "chicken a la king"....and it is delicious! Chicken, bacon & guacamole on a bagel?......not so much :D

PS: if you want to recreate that lunch it works great with left-over chicken...make a medium white sauce, add chunked chicken chopped onion, peppers, celery, whatever you like + spices and serve over white toast. Voila! Chicken a la king!!

...And they agreed to transfer us from SSB Bahnhof to ship. (But I am very skeptical they will actually be there to greet us -- hence my concern in finding out exactly where the Navigator will be docked in Basel.)

Well, I needn't have worried. Despite my skepticism, the Vanatage rep showed up at the Basel SBB train station exactly as scheduled!

Well, I needn't have worried. Despite my skepticism, the Vanatage rep showed up at the Basel SBB train station exactly as scheduled!

David,

Glad you made it! I checked, and when I booked, Basel was the departure city, so we did have to pay for our transfer to Zurich. We had a van for six people that picked us up at the docking site on Uferstrasse. It cost us 222 Euros. The Vantage people did haul our luggage out to the curb for us. Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it goes!

FuelScience.

Four days into the cruise. A few observations:

- The heat that plagued the previous cruise is over for now. Two days of cool rainy weather, then two days of cool sunny weather, which is forecast to continue.

- Food service is excellent.

- CD Louise T. had to leave the ship this morning; her father suddenly became seriously ill. Louise was O-J-T-ing another CD, and she has now taken over the job.

- The pattern for shore excursions: We each completed a questionnaire telling Vantage our walking capabilities -- active, moderate, or limited (very few in the latter category). When we leave the ship, along with our boarding pass, we get a colored card, roughly corresponding to our walking level. Each bus has a colored card, and when we arrive at the excursion site, three to five guides are there with colored signs to lead separate walks. So sometimes there are just three groups with 40-45 people each, sometimes more groups with fewer people. Seems to work out OK.

- The problem FuelScience mentioned about groups reserving the best tables is causing a stir on this cruise too. At least two people (that I know of so far) have complained to the Restaurant Manager about this. His response is: The groups (there are 3) requested this arrangement when they reserved their cruises, Boston agreed, and now the RM's hands are tied. So I guess about all we can do is complain about this when we complete our feedback.

- Internet service has been s-l-o-w. Almost an hour to post this!

Four days into the cruise. A few observations:

- The heat that plagued the previous cruise is over for now. Two days of cool rainy weather, then two days of cool sunny weather, which is forecast to continue.

- Food service is excellent.

- CD Louise T. had to leave the ship this morning; her father suddenly became seriously ill. Louise was O-J-T-ing another CD, and she has now taken over the job.

- The pattern for shore excursions: We each completed a questionnaire telling Vantage our walking capabilities -- active, moderate, or limited (very few in the latter category). When we leave the ship, along with our boarding pass, we get a colored card, roughly corresponding to our walking level. Each bus has a colored card, and when we arrive at the excursion site, three to five guides are there with colored signs to lead separate walks. So sometimes there are just three groups with 40-45 people each, sometimes more groups with fewer people. Seems to work out OK.

- The problem FuelScience mentioned about groups reserving the best tables is causing a stir on this cruise too. At least two people (that I know of so far) have complained to the Restaurant Manager about this. His response is: The groups (there are 3) requested this arrangement when they reserved their cruises, Boston agreed, and now the RM's hands are tied. So I guess about all we can do is complain about this when we complete our feedback.

- Internet service has been s-l-o-w. Almost an hour to post this!

Thanks for the update....I'll be getting on when you get off....I like the idea of groups based on walking ability... I'm a little surprised at the table reservations, although I can understand groups of 6 or more traveling together wanting to sit together. The ones that annoy me are the ones who camp outside the restaurant doors, rush to a table and throw napkins on every chair at every meal for people they just met! It's rude, but what can you do. We're going to be a party of 4 and the first one in the dining room will pick a table for 6 or 8 so that we meet new people as well as stay together and if it's an "inside" table" it doesn't really matter that much since the windows are large and we're busy eating, drinking and talking anyway.

It seems like a reasonable compromise might be to let groups reserve tables for one or two nights of the cruise and allow open seating the rest of the time.

FuelScience

Thanks for the update....I'll be getting on when you get off....I like the idea of groups based on walking ability... I'm a little surprised at the table reservations, although I can understand groups of 6 or more traveling together wanting to sit together. The ones that annoy me are the ones who camp outside the restaurant doors, rush to a table and throw napkins on every chair at every meal for people they just met! It's rude, but what can you do. We're going to be a party of 4 and the first one in the dining room will pick a table for 6 or 8 so that we meet new people as well as stay together and if it's an "inside" table" it doesn't really matter that much since the windows are large and we're busy eating, drinking and talking anyway.

There were at least 10 6 tops (maybe 12, I can't recall), 2 8 tops, and one 12 top in the Navigator dining room. Does it seem fair that a group gets to always sit at the same table? No. Now, if the "reserved" sign for that group were to rotate around the various tables that would accommodate them, that could be a bit more fair. That way everyone has a chance at the "good" tables (wherever they are).

There were at least 10 6 tops (maybe 12, I can't recall), 2 8 tops, and one 12 top in the Navigator dining room. Does it seem fair that a group gets to always sit at the same table? No. Now, if the "reserved" sign for that group were to rotate around the various tables that would accommodate them, that could be a bit more fair. That way everyone has a chance at the "good" tables (wherever they are).

No it doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is unfortunately. Where I sit in the dining room really doesn't matter that much to me as long as there's good conversation, but I don't disagree with you that it's not right....some people really like sitting by a window and they should have that opportunity and rotating the "reserved" sign sounds like a fair and equitable solution. If faced with the same situation on our cruise, I'll suggest it....strongly...to the RM and to our TD.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Re table reservations: The big table in the back center holds 14 people, and is fixed in place. So I can see why that one is appropriate for reserved groups. But I counted a total of 48 reserved seats, all in the lower section. That's about 2/3 of the whole section!

Re wine prices: In Boppard, we discovered that the grocery stores had screw-top local wines for astonishingly low prices. E.g., 4, 3, and even 2 euros per bottle. Haven't drunk them yet, so can't comment on the quality. But that's just a fraction of the ship prices.

Re table reservations: The big table in the back center holds 14 people, and is fixed in place. So I can see why that one is appropriate for reserved groups. But I counted a total of 48 reserved seats, all in the lower section. That's about 2/3 of the whole section!

Re wine prices: In Boppard, we discovered that the grocery stores had screw-top local wines for astonishingly low prices. E.g., 4, 3, and even 2 euros per bottle. Haven't drunk them yet, so can't comment on the quality. But that's just a fraction of the ship prices.

Are you sure there are 14 seats at that large table? There were only 12 on our cruise.

Anyway, assuming that the 14 top is included in the reserved tables, that leaves 3 6 tops and 5 4 tops in the lower dining room for all others to use.

Another question - if the big table is one of the reserved ones, what did they do for the Captain's table on fancy night? Since that's the one they used for the Captain and the highest Vantage cruises taken people on our cruise.

Are you sure there are 14 seats at that large table? There were only 12 on our cruise.

Anyway, assuming that the 14 top is included in the reserved tables, that leaves 3 6 tops and 5 4 tops in the lower dining room for all others to use.

Another question - if the big table is one of the reserved ones, what did they do for the Captain's table on fancy night? Since that's the one they used for the Captain and the highest Vantage cruises taken people on our cruise.

You're right Shmoo, the 14 top is the Captain's table and is available to passengers only when he isn't using it. Personally I hate sitting at that table because the only people you can converse with are the ones on your left or right and the couple directly across from you. The round tables are usually 6 and 4 tops and are in both the lower and upper dining rooms. We actually prefer the upper dining room. There are some tables for 4 and none for 2....I don't know if the configuration is different for the new ships, I've only been on the Navigator...3 times...7 trips total, and yes, I am invited to the Captain's Dinner, which is very nice but very stiff and formal and rarely does the Captain speak English so conversation is usually minimal. It would be difficult as you say for a group that large to have the Captain's Table reserved because he uses it at least 3 times per cruise: welcome dinner, farewell dinner and Captain's dinner. So what did they do with all those people then. I guess they had to split up and sit with other people...quelle horreur! :D

You're right Shmoo, the 14 top is the Captain's table and is available to passengers only when he isn't using it. Personally I hate sitting at that table because the only people you can converse with are the ones on your left or right and the couple directly across from you. The round tables are usually 6 and 4 tops and are in both the lower and upper dining rooms. We actually prefer the upper dining room. There are some tables for 4 and none for 2....I don't know if the configuration is different for the new ships, I've only been on the Navigator...3 times...7 trips total, and yes, I am invited to the Captain's Dinner, which is very nice but very stiff and formal and rarely does the Captain speak English so conversation is usually minimal. It would be difficult as you say for a group that large to have the Captain's Table reserved because he uses it at least 3 times per cruise: welcome dinner, farewell dinner and Captain's dinner. So what did they do with all those people then. I guess they had to split up and sit with other people...quelle horreur! :D

So, if the "Captain's table" isn't one of the "reserved" ones, that means all the 6 tops plus the two 8 tops in the lower dining room are taken each night. Leaving only the 5 4 tops, and, on the nights that the Captain isn't in attendance, the big table. Not much choice there.

We found the upper dining area too enclosed feeling. They had to close the curtains every night due to the angle of the sun(set). Since the river would turn and twist a lot, it meant that some evenings the sun could be on both sides of the ship during dinner. And the ceiling height is lower there. We did give it a try 2 or 3 times, but just didn't like it. We liked being on the lower level.

Edited by Shmoo here

So, if the "Captain's table" isn't one of the "reserved" ones, that means all the 6 tops plus the two 8 tops in the lower dining room are taken each night. Leaving only the 5 4 tops, and, on the nights that the Captain isn't in attendance, the big table. Not much choice there.

I thought all the 6 and 8 tops were round. How could they put them together to seat 14! It would take up more than twice the room, no? Or are they reserving one 6 top and 1 8 top to accommodate 14, which shouldn't really be causing that much of a problem since it's only two tables out of circulation and most people that aren't traveling alone are traveling with one other couple.

We found the upper dining area too enclosed feeling. They had to close the curtains every night due to the angle of the sun(set). Since the river would turn and twist a lot, it meant that some evenings the sun could be on both sides of the ship during dinner. And the ceiling height is lower there. We did give it a try 2 or 3 times, but just didn't like it. We liked being on the lower level.

That's funny.....I find the upper dining room more intimate and friendly!! I'll have to wait till next week to see whether or not the shades are a problem. I do hate it when they're closed...then it's too confining! :D I also have balance problems and really don't like that step down to the lower level. always imagine myself falling with a plateful of food!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Vantage Captains don't speak English? That's disappointing.

In our experience on GCT, the bridge officers and crew all spoke English. The few able seamen and galley crew that did not have conversational skills were clearly working on them.

In our experience on GCT, the bridge officers and crew all spoke English. The few able seamen and galley crew that did not have conversational skills were clearly working on them.

Don't know what the percentage is, but our captain spoke English. Not really well (he said he's only been studying it for about 6 months), but he could carry on a good conversation with minimal necessary explanations.

Everyone else who had face contact with the passengers (serving personnel, bartenders, room host, etc) had to speak good English.

Edited by Shmoo here

Most of the Captains I've met on Vantage speak German or Russian with limited to moderate English. I never really thought about it since they don't interact with the passengers that much. The crew that does interact with the passengers, dining room, bartenders, front desk, Purser and cabin attendants, all speak perfect English.

Most of the Captains I've met on Vantage speak German or Russian with limited to moderate English. I never really thought about it since they don't interact with the passengers that much. The crew that does interact with the passengers, dining room, bartenders, front desk, Purser and cabin attendants, all speak perfect English.

Our captain (Gabor) was Hungarian. But he spoke German pretty fluently. And, as I said, was working on his English.

Captain Siggy is German, very funny (in a droll way), and speaks English pretty well. On Welcome night, he did sit at the large table, and the big reserved group was seated elsewhere (in the lower section, of course).

That night was the only time the captain has showed up for dinner to date.

Shmoo, you were right, I recounted, and the big table is indeed for 12.

Bernkastel today, and tomorrow off for Schwise. Weather continues to be ideal, but rain is forecast for tomorrow's Luxembourg tour.

Captain Siggy is German, very funny (in a droll way), and speaks English pretty well. On Welcome night, he did sit at the large table, and the big reserved group was seated elsewhere (in the lower section, of course).

That night was the only time the captain has showed up for dinner to date.

Shmoo, you were right, I recounted, and the big table is indeed for 12.

Bernkastel today, and tomorrow off for Schwise. Weather continues to be ideal, but rain is forecast for tomorrow's Luxembourg tour.

I only recall the captain being in the dining room twice. Welcome night and the Captain's dinner. I hope Capt. Siggy is on board next week....it was really hard sitting across from the Capt. from Russia (who was a dead ringer for Vladimir Putin!) and having him answer every question with "Yes,my wife and I love not being home all the time"). Hope weather clears for Luxembourg. When we visited the National Cemetery in Normandy it was pouring rain but it somehow seemed fitting. How's the heat? I know Fuel Science said it was ghastly on his cruise (one before yours)

We will be sailing on Navigator for the first time, next month. What do you mean by upper dining area and lower dining area? I don't recall dining rooms on two levels on our other ships?

On the Navigator, the dining room has two levels (like a sunken living room). You enter the room and there are about 10 tables on that level, then in the middle of the room is the start of where the buffet area is. The floor splits around this and its about 4 steps down to the lower area (the buffet area and stairs down to the galley are in the middle of this space) where there are 14 tables. It's all one dining room just split level.

Last night Captain Siggy had some interesting news to relate: The bearing seals on one of the two drive shafts have failed, requiring that engine to be run at low rpm. Impact: When we get to Cologne, they are going to disembark all passengers for the normally scheduled morning tour. Then they are taking the ship to a shipyard where it will be hauled up out of the water and the propeller drive shafts replaced. Estimated time until Navigator back in the water: 6 to 8 hours. The normal schedule was (I think) to return to the ship for lunch, and depart for Amsterdam mid-afternoon. Now they are going to give is money for lunch on our own, and free time in the city all afternoon. I think Jessica, our new CD, will be frantically trying to find something else for us to do in the afternoon. If not, may be a long afternoon! This would be on Wednesday.

On our last cruise in May, our small ship hit floating debris on the Alaska Inside Passage, with a similar result. This is getting eerie.

Weather here today in Schweise - cool and rainy.

Hello DaveinCharlotte,

have a good day in Luxembourg, despite the rain. Forecast is indeed for rain, but radar shows it is not much this morning. Schweich, where your ship is docked, is close to Trier. I hope you liked Germany's oldest town.

If you are stuck for something to do in Cologne, apart from walking up the Cathedral's tower, going to Roman-Germanic Museum, crossing the railway line bridge to the opposite embankment that is :), here is the official Cologne tourism website:

http://www.cologne-tourism.com/

I am sure the huge Cologne shipyard, which is relatively close to the town centre, will do an excellent job of getting the River Navigator back into the water, fully functioning to get you to Amsterdam.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

Here's how the dining room is currently configured:

Lower section, total 80, reserved bold/underlined:

[8]------[12]------[8]

[6]---[6]---[6]---[6]

[6]-------[8]------[6]

[4]----------------[4]

Upper section, total 56:

[6]---[4]---[4]---[6]

[6]---[6]---[6]---[6]

[6]----------------[6]