Regal Princess Photo Review (+ Celebrity Comparison) - Baltics - 6/15/2015 Sailing

euro_101

Oslo

We were in port 10 to 7 and we did on our own.

We walked off the ship from the Filistad port. Maybe 20min to the main drag, but it was fine - there were shops and eateries right away. Rick Steves made it seem like you wouldn't want to walk it.

We headed to Bigdøy first. We toured the Viking Museum (which was very interesting - I enjoyed the displays).

aOtHcyLsHQUpnWDQycTUWum6UTFUwnxX6QTwyJZBqzg=w1500-h775-no

We went to the Fram museum to see the Arctic explorer ship. It was cool to go inside.

XAwI4YX38bN3jKTzYCBk_XBcI8lheg4U67RYMM-RkHU=w1377-h775-no

We grabbed lunch on the harbor.

We walked to the Akershus Fortress and toured the castle. Pictured: the view from Akershus.

Pt9Xiu-FFLUvYg-byRhJsBRQCsm0YmgCkfOPXU-ySS8=w1601-h625-no

We took the #12 tram to Frogner Park to see the Vigeland Sculpture Park.

wiWKIbeYLvfilNx8kwkW13Nnu9TK1PPHgOzp_5nYiuw=w436-h775-no

Berlin

We were docked in Warnemunde from 7a-9p. Neither of us had been to Germany before so we opted to make the trek to Berlin.

We used SPB Tours.

We boarded the SPB bus around 715a. All in all in was about 3hrs to Berlin. It wasn't too bad - I napped and read and it made the time go by faster.

We started at the Olympic Stadium and drove by the Charlottenburg Palace.

ErdwL3znRFzLtMlw4-zrju8CDRcAgO8r8Glwiglbp9Y=w666-h375-no

We stopped at the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. The glass bricks were beautiful.

D6Z57RSsBgL9u9xrpNq887wTtJVxHHXWUua3dBn0eUQ=w437-h776-no

uAXJRokY9U-3rq858IZJX5kMmjaMjHOf1C6GVb629BY=w1380-h776-no

We drove by the Victory Column, the Reichstag (Parliament), Postdamer Platz. We got out and walked under the Brandenburg Gate.

Reichstag -

ZeNFFc-33dUv2u9V_DlhwtZVBR446kVS2UUAsXGsBWg=w1377-h775-no

View from the bus -

Cn3RBpKU-ByGF17LA1jc33U57bQHSK2FigINh3Bu_DM=w1377-h775-no

Brandenburg Gate -

Fs9BraHer7Y9F-hPzR_wIblruGRW_sfff0wk9glg32o=w436-h775-no

We walked through the Holocaust Memorial.

V9rfja559rTYG9Koi62beTEMTIZhLF_G0HshA12xRb4=w437-h776-no

4HrdtIBOlBoffSQziF-O-ozQKip1M4WyBsYmkjk6ryw=w1601-h625-no

We ate lunch on our own (we had a certain amt of time to walk through the Holocaust Memorial and grab lunch - which was a nice break from the tour).

_PK3UUyX8Ph1Aks5ln9WfiVW9bqmlgYZOjZ7DX_BiF4=w437-h776-no

currywurst -

2V7WUJbKfQM6QQeGnNo696aIMiM2sQ9QJ9ok6lIaPh0=w1377-h775-no

We drove by Checkpoint Charlie, Gendarmenmarkt, and we briefly walked around museum island and saw the New Synagogue, Berlin Dome, and TV Tower. To me this stop was unnessesary - we didn't really see anything per se - I would have liked this time to have been added to the Berlin Wall or lunch period.

The TV Tower -

hUfmmgvVqgYu3sI9XMEjJJ3Uj_bBv1iY1xBS2QXPMUk=w437-h776-no

We ended around 415p at the Berlin wall.

wxw01HEARUb9sYiZaVe3L3EXQv3gOahrFvipeNhKhmU=w1601-h625-no

It was closer to a 4hr drive back (due to construction). We got back to the ship around 815p and all aboard was 830p.

Overall Impression: nice overview of the city – I would have been okay with more in depth stops and given up seeing more of the city from the bus window. We 'saw' stuff from the bus, but we we didn't really see it. The only stuff we spent time at was the Wilhem Kaiser Memorial, Brandenburg Gate, Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, and the Berlin Wall. If we went back on a cruise that docked at Warenemunde I would not go to Berlin most likely (or if I did I would go on my own if the train times worked out). If you want an overview of everything, then this is a good tour.

Arhus

We were docked from 12p-7p. We did this on our own. There was a mandatory shuttle bus (complimentary) b/c we docked in a commercial port and peds couldn't walk around. We had to queue to get bus tickets – we got #31 starting with #21 – it was called soon after #21-30. Our number was called at 1250p and we were in town at 110p.

B4mj_9nRueBC74RbqAh4XKrRlc8lGUUVzSbvPD8ZJNI=w437-h776-no

It was a rainy day.

We looked inside at the Arhus Cathedral (Aarhus Domkirke) and climbed 150 steps to the top - the windows were dirty (not in a picky way but there was a noticeable film over the windows which distorted the view).

9AeZlhzk5axzmgpJyusnkv_lySUpzh-IPhHregjpAiU=w710-h400-no

Then we looked at the Resistance Museum (Besaettelsesmuseet) which was very interesting and served as Gastepo headquarters. It wasn't busy at all, which made it a more intimate experience.

2C9wKC5tlk51DXhXKOslv1tW9vkQ_6sEd3L3_GPfMpc=w437-h776-no

We headed back to the ship shortly after 5p.

I liked the city - the rain was a downer - but I really enjoyed the museum and thought it an interesting insight - Denmark's POV on WWII Germany.

Helsinki

Docked 7a-4p. We did on our own.

View from our balcony -

_5H37TD4lpfIk68UvinhohtdZtMPQV7taeUpWBdSowE=w774-h435-no

We walked off – it took 30 or so min to walk to Senate Square but it was nice out.

Walking around -

gB2Vd_eYVOfgd6xKko5P6rxuxpvKHZaPS7Pq6GrXt8Q=w1377-h775-no

We saw Senate Square and saw the Lutheran Church. We took the tram to the Rock Church.

S4m5DJ0tdbKstiRwZgdW_aXeRh1Qsw-DaxCa3j4aeUw=w1377-h775-no

4SljcNUMcgFiqLC6muZFOIFsHmgf4API-ZCitd4hllU=w1377-h775-no

We headed to the Sibelis Monument (the guy let us onto the hop on/off for free, else we wld have taken a cab).

_F8Lg7QbOconpuXlmAnzVmpxQdIPs1Tp_zrCXUYNAn4=w437-h776-no

We took a taxi bk to to Market Square. We went inside the Orthodox Church - Uspenki Cathedral.

VL9AeGcBb1dvfUHyL-aDE3VC1MeCPPmf5zH-L-7RMWw=w1381-h776-no

We were back at the ship at 330p - there was a long line to get back on.

This was my least favorite port. The city is pretty - and for shopping/dining it is nice. But the sights were just not anywhere near my top list of any city I have been. They aren't bad, but were not particularly memorable either - for our group at least.

Sea Days

I bundled up (shoes/socks/pants/sometimes leggings underneath/shirt/sweater/rain jacket) so that I could sit in the sun and read. A couple times I was out in zip offs (with shorts only). I do tend to be cold, but I wasn't the only one bundled up outside.

I did laundry with the self service machines. All you need is your ship card - you swipe that to get laundry coins and coins you can put in another machine for detergent and fabric softner. They also had an iron/board in the laundry.

I had to go to a couple floors before I found a free washer.

Dress: We wore Dresses every eve. We had 2 formal nights. We didn’t bring full length dresses b/c of the space to pack. I brought 4 cocktail dress that I rotated which was plenty. If you wanted to dress up more you could - no one seemed out of place - it is your own preference (in terms of dressing up over the dress code).

Activities/Entertainment: The best was violinist Chris Watkins – we loved him! The Beetlemaniacs were good too. Didn’t care for the comedian – I missed having a really funny show (like Sin City). The 3 production shows were good – I liked the Opera themed one (Bravo) the best. Fiera had cool sets. The Spectacular show was cute but no storyline, just strung together songs. I felt the average talent was higher for the singers and dancers than on Celebrity. But Princess didn’t get into any acro/cirque type acts. They also had a magician – The Confusionist. He was funny and did close up card tricks. I tend to be skeptical….but he was good. Fountain shows were fun – wld have been nice to see in the dark.

The fountain show -

ndG-Qb-igZjxg1kMT_dbpDmJy3txcLcEyf5nXQslA_s=w437-h776-no

Chris Watkins -

nvFMtVyIPeVff0sYbs_tZ9IwoGFBIv0A_0yg4oANHbE=w1377-h775-no

H-Yi6FTsW4wpOr7J_StYj2Y91RKPWC_t0sbSf8fHxhs=w1377-h775-no

Setting up for the 50th celebration

4peHwXocqN_YcxxtonYWQ_4k_XV5G-rCmb3-kQWkK9o=w1377-h775-no

The 50th Celebration -

ws0khaTi_BIJ3EXrvpfq8n7p9KYLW2Gs-_My0i9i_-4=w1377-h775-no

p1rAixkQLBLGzaFRVTKpOzN-UlW3N-njAf2ONsJTT2M=w1377-h775-no

The 50th Celebration - balloon drop

9WNZ-o1kPkPlkJVuk9oxDmWQffWwzAFK-fyj2vY_JqY=w1377-h775-no

Fiera -

okiv5JCa3aUw1jCUJd_eh0gK-SZP4fHrX5QNZSszyrU=w1377-h775-no

Another Fountain Show photo -

S2V1ZPibzlw-UpnwlyJ_naZMo9_Z59jCl0V2KLPbqS0=w1377-h775-no

Spa/Fitness Center: I did not use the spa. I tried to use the large room in the fitness center when classes/seminars were not in session but there always seemed to be something in there – so I had to workout outside to have enough space. A couple times it was super windy. Celebrity had a smaller room to use next to the fitness class room, which was nice. Didn’t use the jogging track much but loved it was a separate track – I remember dodging chairs on Celebrity. It made sense to have all sports stuff in one area.

Will be at Copenhagen airport this fall. What is a Chin/Pin card, please? I guess it is some kind of bank card but am not familiar with term Chin. Thanks.

I think the OP meant a Chip & PIN card.

Will be at Copenhagen airport this fall. What is a Chin/Pin card, please? I guess it is some kind of bank card but am not familiar with term Chin. Thanks.

I think the OP meant a Chip & PIN card.

Europe has had chip and PIN for a few years now. The chip is an embedded computer ship in the credit card and the card is moire secure than the traditional swipe cards. When used, a PIN is required which makes the card even more secure.

All USA credit cards are being reissued this year to have chips in them. However, most banks will use chip and sign which requires you to sign for a charge and does not have the security of a PIN. A chip and sign card will not work in Europe in automated machines such as gasoline pumps and train ticket machines.

The sunset from our last eve -

QajaXMhw_gur0qMwSoZ0XJbh9wMvoxgJgIXQ-HVa2hs=w437-h776-no

Disembarkation: smooth. Used princess transfer. I had a 1145a flight on SAS to Oslo. We had a 635a meeting time. They called us out about 645a and we were driving to the airport at 655a. I was at the airport by 730a. I walked to the other terminal (all are connected once through security). I was at the airport way too soon, which I knew in advance, but after reading the boards I didn't want to chance a taxi. So I killed time in the lounge (it was a Priority Pass lounge - some credit cards grant you access to them - I believe you can also pay per visit at some of them).

Now onto post cruise [the end is near :( ]

I knew I wanted to see another city vs. spending more time in Copenhagen (esp. since I went out a day earlier than my companions). We ended up all splitting up. I decided I wanted to see the fjords in Norway. My other 2 companions spent the day in Copenhagen, 1 flew out Sunday, the other went to Barcelona for another cruise :)

So I flew from CPH to OSL on SAS. It was about an hour flight. I landed at 1250p and took the Flytoget train to Oslo Central Station. I ate and hung around until the 15:25 train to Myrdal arrived. I took the 4.5 hr train to Myrdal (I had a nice cush, reserved seat w/ power outlets and picture window - I opted to sit on the left side).

Scenery from the Oslo-Myrdal train -

CUKSnuOCx1xy-x7gjkwWCKZGuipPs8AhIwCsOzDFc0o=w1379-h775-no

I got a little worried when I started seeing snow - but we were just at a higher altitude

azEThL91dTdPsdQS6rjIQ3x939ejj54Srs3XWZrJrzo=w1377-h775-no

I only had a 9min transfer which made me nervous, but the trains were right next to each other (no going down/up between tracks), and they knew the train from Oslo was coming in. I transferred to the 1hr Flåmbasa train to Flåm. This is a touristy ride and draws a lot of day trippers. I sat on the right going (and the left coming back down). They have a 5min waterfall stop where you get off -

swn0qMpJuNA2oh7vV5_wXT5OFjmn1l9qcvXC8RggY4o=w1377-h775-no

NdwjSDaic-3mAP7-OFoDj9_3sPler-MOOsyItKS5vTo=w437-h776-no

I arrived in Flåm after 8p. It was so beautiful and peaceful (and dead - I was glad I had gotten too much food at the train station so I had some leftovers).

Walking to my hotel -

BRLMiKMnPnlJddEO4_LKL9uV1-2mUj80yfsXPLbmUcY=w1377-h775-no

I stayed at the Flåm Marina and Apts. They had the perfect view of the fjords. I describe Flam as a fjord cul de sac. Some hotels are on the sides of the cul de sac, but mine was in the middle of the cul de sac, so it had a view down the fjord. It was lovely -

uRJgBVEv3lLx4a_GfJSXHy-Ae98FHf1o_bhQ3OE6GxU=w1601-h625-no

I watched the 1109p sunset from my balcony and went to bed.

On Saturday I did the 1055a Fjord Safari tour - we went down Aurlandsfjord and up Naeroyfjorden (Narrow Fjord) and came back. These are part of the larger Sognefjord. I didn't want to be on a cattle boat so I opted for the 12 seat + guide Fjord Safari. I lucked out and only had the guide plus another couple. The scenery was truly stunning - one of those places where the photos cannot quite do it justice. It seemed like the later tours had more people on them.

Some photos of the tour -

KnNaJoFnzorjyYsh-XVOsFQIMUt8tZJGQU7yKpyOSFs=w1377-h775-no

DWCQjg-7d5Lr7lNGOQ0cUV-2yauhCmFcA7kJL8hGFsU=w1377-h775-no

gR3QNj4Rb1i22sLzDwG4JCD6ODD5wPC5ExF-yGiYAeQ=w1377-h775-no

M9pd-G7ymq02CxcJdhPaW0wGvyWk7l6Ca9Q-1EtpKl4=w1378-h775-no

QUIGt29PiQSvqWPQldu3ANVYpL9IXSvbYAiHWd6X2_g=w1377-h775-no

I took the 1450 to Myrdal and the 1458 to Bergen. I arrived in Bergen at 6p. I took a cab to the hotel - The Radisson Blu Royal Hotel.

I waked around the Bryggen area -

pRgIlnig7vWRqi3TevWVIP8s2sSAzZ7ef9OTPBJPpxM=w1377-h775-no

Er_idIkcdA2p2nDVurKeVFdJ2eLA9zX0GPZYF3m2Vzc=w437-h775-no

Then took the funicular for an amazing view of Bergen -

s2ZaVLSrIFnRaVYJJr946IlNBvKFgLFc2ctPGaoIMFc=w1601-h625-no

_dd0julyM4tWoBzrPF-GLunafr31HAMqMT_SfACm8iM=w437-h776-no

Sunday I flew home from BGO via AMS. At AMS they got rid of security at the gate - instead they do a passport check now (at least for flights bk to the US).

Thank you for reading! I am going to go back and reply to comments now. Please feel free to ask any questions. It was nice to reminisce :) [and gave me reason to actually go through my photos and pick my faves]

I'm really enjoying your posts. We did this trip a couple of years ago and would do it again in a flash! Loved most of the cities. Your pictures bring back a lot of wonderful memories. I am looking forward to reading the rest of your trip reports. Thanks.

I am glad! Thanks for the kind words cormike1

Thank you for your review and pictures! We are sailing on the Regal in December!

You're welcome jovisoul! You'll have a great time on the Regal :)

Your photos are amazing!

We did a Baltic cruise in Early June of this year and it was too chilly to use the pools. Oh well, the scenery more than made up for it!

Thank you sunsetbeachgal! The scenery was spectacular for sure - not a bad consolation prize :)

Thanks for writing this review and for the excellent photos.

The Baltic itinerary is on my bucket list and this only confirms that it belongs there.

I am also interested in your comparison points between Princess and Celebrity as I take my first X cruise next January on the Silhouette.

I am wondering if you can take the photos down to the next size available for upload as to see them whole and read the text I have to scroll horizontally. I am using a 13 inch monitor (Mac) and giving the whole screen over to the CC panel (hiding Bookmarks).

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Regardless, thanks for taking us along on this incredible voyage!

Norris

You're welcome Bimmer09! I am glad it is staying on your bucket list :)

Have a blast on the Silhouette!

Sorry about the text scrolling - I'll keep that in mind for future photos!

Wow..

Some of the highest quality photo's I've ever seen posted here ... Some absolutely amazing shots.

Thanks for your efforts, and then sharing them here

Srpilo

Many thanks srpilo - there were not many reviews of the Regal in the Baltics, given it hadn't sailed there before, so wanted to share my experience.

Thanks for the review and pictures. We're going on the Regal on this itinerary next summer and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your pictures and getting your thoughts.

Thank you vplsh! I think the Regal is a good ship and if you go in knowing the cons, I think that helps to just accept and move on.

Your review is amazing. Thank you so much!

You're welcome Murphey!

Wonderful picture review! Thank you for posting it.

You're welcome Mom33 thanks for reading!

Wonderful high quality photos.

Thanks The Big Booper!

Your pictures are stunning!! Thank you for sharing your cruise with us!

Thank you lfk60!