Galveston at Christmas

bradysmom

We are going to be cruising on the Carnival Freedom on 12/26/15. I'm debating heading down on the 23rd and spending a couple days, including Christmas at the Galveston Hilton.

I have a couple questions for anyone who been there at hiday time.

1. What is the weather like, warm enough to sit by the pool or on the beach? Or too cold for that?

2. Does the Hilton do anything for Christmas?

3. Are things likely to be open, i.e. restaurants etc?

Thanks for any help!

Vicki

1. Could be any of those alternatives !

Mother Nature is Mother Nature. Any could be !!

And San Luis has heated pool next door. Both hotels are owned by same .

And you would have access to that pool also!

2. I'm sure they do but if not, San Luis next door definitely will .

3. Galveston is a tourist destination and everything is open. Call the hotels.

Obviously Christmas Day is a religious holiday for many.

Edited by ssb

Does San Luis also have free cruise parking and a shuttle?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

San Luis , Hilton , and Holiday Inn Resort are owned by same and all share the parking and

the transfer bus . They are next door to one another . What your package is I'm not aware .

We live in Galveston and don't use hotels and transfers obviously.

Friends drop and pick us up at port!

Edited by ssb

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone know what the weather is usually like that time of year?

Obviously I know it could be variable, just wondering what it's "usually" like

I've lived in Houston all my 68 years and I can tell you that Texas winter weather has no "usual". I can promise you that Christmas Day won't be colder than 20 or warmer than 80. Down at Galveston, it's probably more like not colder than 30 or warmer than 75. By that time I doubt that you'll want to go in the Gulf - unless you're a polar bear!

Texas Tillie and Galveston Cruiser are correct about what the late December weather down here can be. The temperature depends on if any cool or cold fronts make it all the way down to us from up North.

Click here http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USTX0499:1:US for the Monthy Average/Record Temperatures for Galveston Island. Scroll down the page a bit as it is under the current monthly forecast. For December, it says the average High is 64°F and the Average Low is 47°F.

In my family, we still celebrate the Christmas Eve snow that Galveston Cruiser mentions with a marshmallow fight after the gift-giving each year! It was the only one we ever experienced together.

Kat emo32.gif

Sure, there is uncertainty in the weather anywhere you go except maybe south texas in August…it is 100% sure it will be as hot as satan! However, in the 13 yrs we have lived in Houston, Christmas week has been in the upper 60's and low 70's most every year. Of course, there are exceptions, but for the most part you should experience our lovely winter weather. Sitting on the beach or by a hotel pool is more than likely a must do! I go to Galveston for most of my Bdays (Jan 11th) and the weather is more often than not, perfect. Enjoy your vacation and expect lovely weather, but prepare for chilly just in case.

Hope that was a wee bit helpful. ;)