Anyone ever cruise the 2nd week of January?...

shdixon

Hello,

I ask because I have always sailed right after new years but this year I may have to sail the 2nd week. My question is, is the ship empty (most people are back to work and school by then)? While I don't like overcrowding I also don't want to be the only ones on the boat (exaggerating).

What is the fun in that :-)

Thanks

We cruise that time of year due to birthday and anniversary. There's no way to tell if the ship is empty or full. No one knows what anyone's plans are. What the ship lacks are brats running amok. Very few brats running around unsupervised. So, IMHO, that's the best time for us to cruise - when the brats are in school! Works for us!:D

Offseason cruising can be the best. Very few kids onboard and fewer rooms are occupied to capacity (as in the rooms that can hold 3 or 4 probably only have 1 or 2 people in them). The potential negative, depending on your personal opinion on this, is that the average age skews quite a bit older than during school/work break times, but there will still be people of all ages on the ship. Your nightlife might not be quite as active as a regular season cruise (no guarantees there though, our last Offseason cruise there were still huge lines for midnight shows at Punchliner), but then the ship can feel more "yours" or private late at night if you are a night owl.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offseason cruising can be the best. Very few kids onboard and fewer rooms are occupied to capacity (as in the rooms that can hold 3 or 4 probably only have 1 or 2 people in them). The potential negative, depending on your personal opinion on this, is that the average age skews quite a bit older than during school/work break times, but there will still be people of all ages on the ship. Your nightlife might not be quite as active as a regular season cruise (no guarantees there though, our last Offseason cruise there were still huge lines for midnight shows at Punchliner), but then the ship can feel more "yours" or private late at night if you are a night owl.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

agreed

Often they will have scooter racing down the promenade deck.:)

Last year, we cruised on January 4th out of NYC. That was after schools went back around here. Colleges usually don't go back until about the 3rd week of January so there were some college kids. The boat seemed full.I think that all of the cabins were full. There wasn't a ton of school-aged children.

My first cruise was the second week of January and I will sail that time of year from here on out.

1. It is great to leave freezing temps for the tropics.

2. I remember a few children on my cruise, but not enough to have affected my vacation in any way.

3. Most importantly, after the stress of the holiday season, it feels like the perfect time to get away and relax.

4. When I priced my next cruise, it was cheaper than other times of the year.

On the other hand, a Panama cruise on the Miracle in early/mid January had no kids, but it was quite dangerous due to the abundance of motorized scooters and walkers. We were in our 50's and just about the youngest pax on board.

I've cruised this time frames, several times over the past few years- with 2 in January last year.

Ships don't sail "empty". ;) The rates discount until they are nearly full. Add the travel industry market- who really enjoy these bargains. :) I especially like going to Hawaii in January, but also have gone out of Florida or Ca. The last 2 years- I have personally run into severe weather issues- with canceled and delayed flights, which effected my plans- including I needed to change/add hotel reservations.

Last year, we cruised on January 4th out of NYC. That was after schools went back around here. Colleges usually don't go back until about the 3rd week of January so there were some college kids. The boat seemed full.I think that all of the cabins were full. There wasn't a ton of school-aged children.

i was on this same cruise, and i'd agree with this assessment! the most notable difference seemed to be the apparent lack of kids - i can't recall seeing more than a handful the whole cruise... it was kinda nice :)

My first cruise was the second week of January and I will sail that time of year from here on out.

1. It is great to leave freezing temps for the tropics.

2. I remember a few children on my cruise, but not enough to have affected my vacation in any way.

3. Most importantly, after the stress of the holiday season, it feels like the perfect time to get away and relax.

4. When I priced my next cruise, it was cheaper than other times of the year.

Agree with all of this. Our preferred time to cruise is first few weeks of January.

We always cruise in Jan, until this next upcoming cruise.. First off ships cabins are usually always occupied but with less kiddos. so that equals less bodies. Second the weather in the Caribbean used to be great during this time of year. but the last two years with all this global warming it has affected the Caribbean! we have only had a couple good days. im hoping it gets better, this time we chose first week of Feb to see how it goes...either way you will have fun!

Scooter races--LOVE IT!

We are on a Journeys cruise at the end of January, and at 50, we are some of the youngest on our roll call. Since I'm one of the "old" ones at work, I'll take it for a change. :p

Hello,

I ask because I have always sailed right after new years but this year I may have to sail the 2nd week. My question is, is the ship empty (most people are back to work and school by then)? While I don't like overcrowding I also don't want to be the only ones on the boat (exaggerating).

What is the fun in that :-)

Thanks

Cruised Jan 20 last year, it was full, not many kids, great time, great weather.

We cruise mid January as our anniversary is January 16th and it's our preferred weekend to cruise. That being said, remember MLK weekend is the 16th. I know it's just a 3day weaken but there's always been plenty of people on our sailing, and kids too! Not a large number of kids, but they're there! I think it's a wonders time to cruise,not over crowded. But plenty of people on the ship!

Edited by kelkel2

Scooter races--LOVE IT!

We are on a Journeys cruise at the end of January, and at 50, we are some of the youngest on our roll call. Since I'm one of the "old" ones at work, I'll take it for a change. :p

Some of these people on scooters are rather dangerous and by the end of a cruise we know to give some a very wide berth. Not joking about this at all.