Europe-Iceland-North America (Direct)

casofilia

We are interested in travelling from Europe to North America in 2017 via Iceland (or the reverse) but NOT via the Atlantic south of the UK.

It seems that cruises E-I-NA all return to Europe from Iceland before crossing the Atlantic.

Are there any cruise lines that do the direct route beside Princess who I know does? I will see what Princess has to offer for 2017 but the price for 2016 was far more than the price for 2015. The reverse trip NA-I-E was prohibitive in 2016.

Thanks

Mike

You'll have to go a little bit south of the UK, because all North American ports (cruise-ship size ports, anyway) are south of even the southern tip of Cornwall. ;)

But Cunard do monthly transatlantics in summer, at least.

I don't know if I've quite grasped what your post means, but if you're looking for a cruise with a transatlantic flight and a sail the other way, via Iceland, some of the smaller lines like Fred Olsen, Cruises & Maritime, or Voyages of Discovery might be worth a look.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

We live in New Zealand. We have family in the UK and in BC Canada. We want to do a "Round the World", Auckland-UK-Cruise to North America via Iceland-Vancouver-Auckland.

We do NOT want to do a cruise that goes Europe-Iceland-Europe-North America.

We cruise to see new places not 6 continuous days of water crossing the Atlantic. We know Princess do a repositioning cruise that fits the bill but wondered if any other cruise line did the same.

I thought we would see if lines had their 2017 repositioning itineraries out yet but it seems not. We are already booked for our two 2016 cruises so the ones that year are not applicable.

Thanks

We know Princess do a repositioning cruise that fits the bill but wondered if any other cruise line did the same.

Thanks

HAL have some that start in Europe & end in N.A. just depends on your time & budget

This is for 2016 as you noted the 2017 schedules are not out yet

HAL does have at least one cruise (part of their annual Voyage of the Vikings Cruise) which would leave Europe in early August. Next year (2016) that cruise will be on the Rotterdam.

Hank

We live in New Zealand. We have family in the UK and in BC Canada. We want to do a "Round the World", Auckland-UK-Cruise to North America via Iceland-Vancouver-Auckland.

We do NOT want to do a cruise that goes Europe-Iceland-Europe-North America.

We cruise to see new places not 6 continuous days of water crossing the Atlantic. We know Princess do a repositioning cruise that fits the bill but wondered if any other cruise line did the same.

I thought we would see if lines had their 2017 repositioning itineraries out yet but it seems not. We are already booked for our two 2016 cruises so the ones that year are not applicable.

Thanks

You could look at Transpacific, Sydney to Honolulu to Seattle which Explorer Of The Seas does in April 2016, but it doesn't go to Iceland. There are going to be consecutive sea days, it's a lot of water to cross.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/24NightTranspacificCruise-EX24T001?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sDateMin=2016-04-01&sDateMax=2016-10-31&sailDate=04%2F23%2F2016

For Iceland you would need a whole different route.

We are interested in travelling from Europe to North America in 2017 via Iceland (or the reverse) but NOT via the Atlantic south of the UK.

It seems that cruises E-I-NA all return to Europe from Iceland before crossing the Atlantic.

Are there any cruise lines that do the direct route beside Princess who I know does? I will see what Princess has to offer for 2017 but the price for 2016 was far more than the price for 2015. The reverse trip NA-I-E was prohibitive in 2016.

Thanks

Mike

Holland American always has a ship leaving Holland around the beginning of August. It goes to Iceland, Greenland and arrives at Boston in about two weeks.

Scott & Karen

Thanks

Mike

Most lines have not yet published their 2017 schedules - but from this year's options in just the next month:

8/8 Seaborn Quest - Copenhagen - Montreal

8/30 RC Serenade - Copenhagen - Bayonne

9/3 RC Brilliance - Harwich - Boston

9/7 Eurodam - Copenhagen - New York

9/8 Silver Whisper - Southampton - Montreal

in addition to Carib. Princess --- there are plenty of Europe to North America sailings stopping in Iceland without returning to Europe before reaching North America.

Keep checking as lines publish their schedules -- but these itineraries are generally not inexpensive.

Most cruise lines won't have their 2017 schedules out until sometime early next year. The only time of year that most will do that East to West itineraries are in August through September. Not even Princess has their schedules out for 2017. And itineraries like that are always expensive.

18 Days Transatlantic & Repositioning

Holland America Line • ms Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Bergen, Lerwick, Eyjafjordur, Akureyri, Isafjordur, Cruising Isafjordur, Reykjavik, Prins Christian Sund, Qaqortoq, Nanortalik, St. John's/Newfoundland, Halifax, Boston

1 departure date: Jul 2 2016

Inside from

$2829

$157 per day

OceanView from

$3309

$184 per day

Suite from

$5449

$303 per day

Two years ago we did Dover-Iceland-Greenland-NYC on the Carnival Legend. This itinerary is even better because it includes Bergen, Norway, and Lerwick. And I had an aunt who was in love with Akureyri in days when not many people traveled there.

Now here is the rest of the story: We began looking for a Greenland cruise after a false alarm alerted us. The alarm came during a Carnival cruise this spring when we were reliably told that Carnival was about to announce a 14-day roundtrip from NYC to Iceland and Greenland in Sept. 2016. Well, such an announcement was never made.

Our Carnival cruise was terrific because, it being September, we even saw northern lights.

Incidentally, we will fly to Rotterdam three days early. We'll skip Amsterdam altogether, but will spend a day in Leyden.