Help dress my husband our first cruise- Pride

Jenn410

Celebrating our anniversary with our very first cruise, 7 nights on the Pride. My hubby works in the fitness industry so he literally wears workout clothes all the time. Dressing up for him is cargo type shorts and at t shirt. If it gets below 20 degrees he might switch to jeans. ( ladies feel my pain?) I need to get him clothes for the MDR Where we plan to dine every night. I need a simple plan that won't need a large amount of $$. I was thinking khakis and a polo for regular nights and maybe dark pants with a button down shirt on elegant nights. Sound ok?

Celebrating our anniversary with our very first cruise, 7 nights on the Pride. My hubby works in the fitness industry so he literally wears workout clothes all the time. Dressing up for him is cargo type shorts and at t shirt. If it gets below 20 degrees he might switch to jeans. ( ladies feel my pain?) I need to get him clothes for the MDR Where we plan to dine every night. I need a simple plan that won't need a large amount of $$. I was thinking khakis and a polo for regular nights and maybe dark pants with a button down shirt on elegant nights. Sound ok?

Right on...I wear my khakis & button down shirt on formal nights and have never felt out of place.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

530 days at sea

59 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

that will work.:)

My husband (who doesn't dress up often either) takes one pair of khakis on a cruise. He will wear these with a polo to the MDR on regular evenings and with a long sleeve button down collar shirt on formal evenings. Normally not a tie - just the nicer shirt.

Oh, and I take a Tide stick in case he gets food on the one pair of khakis.[emoji1]

Kim

My Husband wears khaki pants with polo shirts for dinner. On elegant nights he wears dressier pants with a shirt & tie. He takes them off right after dinner. I like to take nice pics on elegant nights.

P.S. I think we are on the same cruise ;)

Now what I am about to say is MY OPINION so please no flaming....Sounds to me that your husband is somewhat like me; I don't go on vacation to dress up! On our very first cruise we did the "dress up night" thing and it was ok but we quickly realized that dressing up every night was just not something we wanted to do so, we usually pack 1 outfit each that is acceptable in the MDR or specialty restaurant just in case we want to go. I bring a pair of lightweight trousers and 1 polo (collared) shirt. We feel that on every ship we have been on there are so many food venues to choose from that limiting ourselves to 1 location each day is not experiencing the entire ship. Just my thoughts! Hope it helps.

My Husband wears khaki pants with polo shirts for dinner. On elegant nights he wears dressier pants with a shirt & tie. He takes them off right after dinner. I like to take nice pics on elegant nights.

P.S. I think we are on the same cruise ;)

Well a tie is never gonna happen lol, I'll be lucky if he wears real shoes instead of sneakers, o yea I also need to buy him real shoes😕

My hubby wears dark slacks, black athletic shoes & a polo or button down shirt. Since we change back into shorts after dinner, he can wear the same dinner outfit multiple times. He does not wear a tie. There have been exceptions when we wanted a really nice pic & took actual evening wear. It's just a lot to pack.

On non elegant nights, he has worn jeans and even cargo shorts. I usually wear capris, slacks, jeans or a maxi dress. I dress up the pants with different tops each time.

I have been on 18 Carnival cruises with the first one taken in 1995. There has been quite a change in what the men wear now versus 20 years ago. On the first cruise, I was amazed how many men wore Tuxedos. Now you have to search to find some. I always wore a suit to the MDR although about 3 years ago, I switched to dress pants and a collar shirt with a suit for formal nights. Next cruise (January, 2016), I plan to not bring a suit but will wear a tie on formal night. I figure I can eliminate an entire suit case by not bringing a suit and every thing that goes with it. It took me quite a while but I am going to take the plunge. Wish me luck! So when you get to the MDR, you just might see an old guy with his eyes just above the menu card checking out every one else. This is quite a change for me. Who knows, the tie might be the next thing to go. Who knows after that?

Nice "dress" shorts, jesus sandals and a golf shirt or a silk "hawaiian shirt" for regular nights. A single pair of light weight linen or silk weight golf slacks with a pale colored button down shirt. A pair of tan slip on casual "boat" shoes. No belt, no tie, no socks for "elegant" night. (aka Miami Vice without the jacket). Have fun.

I am similar, I wear cargo shorts and either a nice t shirt or something with a collar all night other than formal night where I wear dockers and button down shirt. I bring 1 pair of pants and wear it on both formal nights. All will be well

Your husband sound like mine, the clothes you have described sound great. He will be dressed better than most but you will still see a lot of suits or even tuxes on formal nite, don't worry he will look fine. If you want to include a jacket for formal nite you can just don't stress him out or yourself just have a great vacation.

He can wear his cargo shorts and tshirts on casual nights. Just no tank tops or cut off shorts. Then have him wear khakis and a button down shirt for cruise elegant nights. He won't be out of place, most people don't dress anymore.

Well a tie is never gonna happen lol, I'll be lucky if he wears real shoes instead of sneakers, o yea I also need to buy him real shoes[emoji53]

Just get some nice Sperry Topsiders. They look great with khakis.

I can never understand why adults can't figure out how to dress and why grown men don't have a small selection of casual clothes to wear. Is it really that complicated to have some polo shirts and a few button down shirts in the closet, with one or two khakis? (and a pair of shoes?):D

This sounds totally appropriate to me. My husband wears a nice pair of jeans on regular non dressy nights often too, usually with a nicer top. On dressy nights he wears black pants and a button down. My husband is just a very casual dresser and does not like to get dressed up and this is no exception.

All he needs is a pair of Khaki pants & a couple of Polo shirts. Maybe a couple of Hawaiian Shirts. They are roomy & very comfortable. For shoes, just a light colored (tan) Boat shoe. That is all my Husband brings. Don't forget a couple Bathing suits. No need for a Beach towel as they are already provided for you.

I can never understand why adults can't figure out how to dress and why grown men don't have a small selection of casual clothes to wear. Is it really that complicated to have some polo shirts and a few button down shirts in the closet, with one or two khakis? (and a pair of shoes?):D

It absolutely is complicated. I don't ever wear polo shirts or khakis. I have plenty of button down shirts that I never wear, so a waste of money. I don't own anything but jeans and shorts. I do have a lot of shoes though, of all kinds. Way too many actually, but I like shoes.

Too each his own, I have my style and you have yours. I happen to like my style and that's all that matters. Doesn't make one bit of difference to me what any one else thinks. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I will enjoy mine. :D :D ;) ;)