What is the best luxury river cruise line for France

Caroldoll

We have done Viking which is a disaster. We do not particularly care about cost. We love smaller tours, not huge busses. We like the cabin to be as nice as possible. I would really appreciate everyone's input.

Welcome to the River Cruising forum!

I suggest you start by reading the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference]. The range among river cruise lines that market in the US is fairly small -- but there are differences from the bottom to the top, and the prices don't vary as much as it first appears because the more expensive lines include more things that cost extra on the "cheaper" lines. For information on choosing a river, read the sticky River Cruise Basics articles on Cruise Critic at the top of this forum. I also recommend the book Berlitz River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward, which may be found at your public library.

We have done Viking which is a disaster. We do not particularly care about cost. We love smaller tours, not huge busses. We like the cabin to be as nice as possible. I would really appreciate everyone's input.

Hi Carol, We did a B2B a few yrs ago and a disaster also, although we thoroughly enjoyed the itinerary (Avalon). I wanted to do the Danube, so after much research we have booked Tauck which is rated highly. We have a suite (larger than most cabins on river cruise) and they are most closely rated to Four Seasons for what they offer. Check out their France offerings because the Rhone is lovely and so are the Burgundy wines.

Hi Carol, We did a B2B a few yrs ago and a disaster also, although we thoroughly enjoyed the itinerary (Avalon). I wanted to do the Danube, so after much research we have booked Tauck which is rated highly. We have a suite (larger than most cabins on river cruise) and they are most closely rated to Four Seasons for what they offer. Check out their France offerings because the Rhone is lovely and so are the Burgundy wines.

Have done 2 trips on Uniworld, Prague to Vienna and the Douro. Planning my next one now and will continue sailing that line.

How about a barge cruise. See this persons trip report on a barge cruise in Southern France. It's long because it also shows the Airline Flights but has many great photos and info on the barge trip. Not cheap but appears to be first class.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1687759-private-barge-cruise-south-france-via-lufthansa-first-class.html

If you want to wait until 2017, Crystal is entering the river cruise market with two new build boats in Europe. Now, at this time, it is not known which specific rivers and itineraries will be available. Probably in the next 6 months to a year details should be available.

Portofinoitaly..I respect your judgement.

I have read the thread, Jazzbeau. I kind of want personal suggestions.

This won't be until 2017..I like Crystal, but I can't see how they can complete new builds??? Might do it though.

I will look in to everything...again thanks.

My personal recommendation would be to look at Uniworld's SS Catherine that sails in France. If you search this board you will find a great day to day review from JP Albany and a good comparison between Uniworld and AMA from Caviargal. I've sailed its sister ship the Antoinette and and scheduled for December on the Maria Teresa. I believe that Uniworld provides a luxury experience. Especially if you go with the suites which are 300 sq ft. If you take a look at Caviargals review I talked about features of the suite including its butler service. From my research over the past 2 years on CC and through my TA I believe that Uniworld, Tauck and Scenic all have the ability to provide a luxury experience on the right ship and itinerary with AMA not too far behind. But I can only speak from actual experience with Uniworld. Be happy to answer any specific questions about my Uniworld experience.

As papa B me noted, I have sailed both Uniworld and AMA in Provence, and recently. I wrote detailed reviews on both and was very pleased with both overall.

I would give the edge to Uniworld for luxurious cabins; the Catherine is very new and has more bells and whistles than the AmaDagio, which is the oldest ship in AMA's current fleet.

AMA has the edge, IMO and IME, in excursions, overall service, staff and crew, and entertainment. Food was equal. Uniworld does have more inclusions, except when it comes to excursions. The itinerary was slightly different due to ship sizes, and we preferred AMA in that regard.

But if you are looking purely at the luxury level of the ship and accommodations, I would give the edge to Uniworld.

We're new to the whole river cruising experience. That being said, we have sailed Uniworld once (Passau - Budapest) and loved it. We had no complaints. It was really a perfect vacation. So, when it came to the next river cruise, we are going with Uniworld. This time we're doing Uniworld's Paris to Normandy and back to Paris.

From what I have read here, I think Uniworld, Tauck or AMA would be a good fit for us. We want upscale and that's what we felt we received on Uniworld. There might be others, but these are the three I've read the most about on CC.

I believe that Uniworld provides a luxury experience. Especially if you go with the suites which are 300 sq ft.

Each new river ship tries to top the competition. AMA's 2016 designs (AmaStella and AmaViola) have suites with 350 sf.

some of the new ships and their amenities are beautiful but for luxury many other factors matter. the quality of catering and staff is important too. and of course customer service.

plus everyone has a different opinion of what is important to them and it may depend of their prior experiences. high standards and consistency with quality of service.

looking forward to lots of options.

Our last Tauck cruise was this time last year on the Rhone. Swiss Emerald is a beautiful boat and the all-inclusive luxury of a Tauck experience would make it hard for me to think something could be better or more luxurious. The only thing stopping me from doing this on a yearly basis is I can't afford it but if this pensioner gets a visit from the Lotto Fairy then you can bet I'll do another Tauck river cruise.

Portofinoitaly..I respect your judgement.

I have read the thread, Jazzbeau. I kind of want personal suggestions.

This won't be until 2017..I like Crystal, but I can't see how they can complete new builds??? Might do it though.

I will look in to everything...again thanks.

What sealed the deal for me RE: Tauck vs others was 130 passengers vs 159, open seated dining times vs fixed, an option to dine for 2 in a separate area,

300 sq ft suite, pre and post hotel selection (Four Seasons in Prague) their reputation, and last not but not least, they provide an iron in the suites LOL!

We will be on the river cruise for 12 days and then spend a day in Lake Bled prior to heading to Venice for a cruise on Oceania Sirena. The packing and laundry, etc for both made that iron important ;-)

Now, I must also say that Uniworld looks lovely and I want to visit Bordeax area in France and they offer a very nice cruise that I may consider in the future.

This river cruise on Tauck will determine if river cruising is something we want to continue in the future or nix totally and stick with ocean cruising.

prior to heading to Venice for a cruise on Oceania Sirena.

Oceania is our first choice for ocean cruising and we found the food and service on AMA comparable overall. Same for Uniworld. The beds are great on Uniworld, as they are on Oceania.

The Sirena looks lovely and we hope to cruise with Oceania again in the near future. I do hope the NCL ownership does not affect their quality.

Edited by caviargal

What sealed the deal for me RE: Tauck vs others was ... last not but not least, they provide an iron in the suites LOL!
Of course, suite dwellers on Uniworld have no need for an iron, since their butlers will press their clothes any time such service is needed ... ;)

J/k, portofino, I'm certain the Tauck experience will be outstanding. The folks we talked to on the SS Catherine who had cruised Tauck said their experience on that line was very comparable to the Uniworld experience. Have a great time!

(BTW, your comment on the Bordeaux cruise hit home; that's the next one we plan to take.)

Of course, suite dwellers on Uniworld have no need for an iron, since their butlers will press their clothes any time such service is needed ... ;)

J/k, portofino, I'm certain the Tauck experience will be outstanding. The folks we talked to on the SS Catherine who had cruised Tauck said their experience on that line was very comparable to the Uniworld experience. Have a great time!

(BTW, your comment on the Bordeaux cruise hit home; that's the next one we plan to take.)

I may see you on board that Bordeaux cruise, although we are totally booked for 2016, so it will have to wait until 2017. That one looks lovely but I don't think it is on their SS Catherine so more due diligence needed.

We have another Oceania cruise Oct 2016 (21 days) to South America and Machu Picchu tour prior. As Caviargal mentioned, we also hope the NCL deal does ruin Oceania for us because I am quite happy with their product.

Oceania is our first choice for ocean cruising and we found the food and service on AMA comparable overall. Same for Uniworld. The beds are great on Uniworld, as they are on Oceania.

The Sirena looks lovely and we hope to cruise with Oceania again in the near future. I do hope the NCL ownership does not affect their quality.

That's good to know. We loved HAL, but after having problems on our last cruise, it's time for a change and Oceania is what we think we're going to try for our next ocean cruise. I have a couple of friends that made the jump from HAL to Oceania and were very pleased.

We loved everything about Uniworld.

The butler service was nice.

Mine will be in 2017 to France and I need to see Normandy. I am going to look at Tauck and Uniworld and then AMA. After my horrible experience on Viking I need to be careful!

I think you'll have a wonderful time on any of those. I am sorry about your Viking experience. I am thankful they were never on our list.

Mine will be in 2017 to France and I need to see Normandy. I am going to look at Tauck and Uniworld and then AMA. After my horrible experience on Viking I need to be careful!

Carole,

We will take the Tauck cruise end of April 2016. I feel the same way you do after the Avalon experience. I will give you all of the details once we return because at least if you decide on Tauck you will have plenty of cancellation time.

The dining deal with Avalon was the real issue for us. We took some of their tours (they were good) and many times we just went out on our own to experience the food, ambience, etc. That is the best way to do it.

I know you like the large suites and I did see that Uniworld has (one) on the SS Catherine that is over 400 sq. ft. Tauck only has the 300 sq.ft. suites. Something for you to consider.

Took Uniworld's Portrait of Majestic France this April. This combines the "Paris & Normandy" cruise on River Baroness with the "Bordeaux, Vineyards & Chateaux" cruise on River Royale.

These are two of the older boats and regular staterooms are small, but very comfortable. Food and wine and service were absolutely excellent. The menus include local specialties and wines, different on each cruise and different from our first Uniworld cruise, "Castles along the Rhine".

High water required some itinerary changes, but Uniworld made adjustments to include everything we wanted to see. Really enjoyed the excursions, all but one were included at no additional cost.

We have no experience with other river cruise lines, but don't know how they could do better than Uniworld for us.

Caroldoll - you ask about luxury river cruise. If you are not including a barge/canal trip in your search, than read no further. If, however, a barge trip in the Burgundy region of France would suit you...then French Country Waterways should be considered. We have returned from a week on the Nenuphar. The best I can say is ...it started out as WOW and went higher as the days progressed. We have never received the quality and curtesy on any vacation, that matched the week we spent with them. Please consider this boat.