New to NCL: Some Questions

SMS2

Hi all,

I'm new to NCL, but have been on 7 other cruises with Dolphin (!!), Carnival, Princess, & Celebrity. This will be my 2nd as a solo, with the other being on one of the cruises with Carnival, and that one was great (albeit 10 years ago).

Anyway, I have a few questions, if you'll indulge me... I'm sailing on the Getaway (Aug 8). I've read a bunch of threads but I'm looking for a bit more specific feedback.

1) Are there formal nights anymore, or is this a thing of the past? I'm trying to plan what to bring with me but only saw something about an optional dress up night, so I'm wondering if there are formal nights or if this took its place.

2) Suggestions/tips/tricks for a studio cabin? I booked one, and it seems like a good deal, but the shower (size) has me a bit worried. Also seems to be a lack of storage, so if you've stayed in one, do you have any feedback?

3) Thoughts on Tortola vs. Blue Lagoon (Nassau) for a dolphin swim? Also, since I'm solo, I'm concerned about booking it separately vs. going on the ship's excursion. Would welcome input here.

4) Also seeking input on Spa Pass vs Vibe Pass vs nothing (no pass). When I did my previous solo cruise, I got into a little routine where I'd hit a lounger in the sun in the morning, lunch, find a quiet lounger in the shade in the afternoon, back to cabin to nap/shower, dinner, evening activities. It wasn't as structured as it sounds, but what was nice was that the afternoon was like a little getaway from all the hustle & bustle of the activity on the ship. I'm basically looking to relax and unwind. Will this be possible to do without resorting to a pass of some sort, or should I grab a pass, and if so, which one? I've read a lot about there being no shade up in Vibe, but then again the cost of the Spa Pass seems a bit much. Again, appreciate any input here.

5) As a solo, is it necessary to book the shows (Burn the Floor & Legally Blonde) in advance or do you think I'll be able to do it on board? Not sure I'll do any specialty restaurants, but I'll deal with that if the need arises (I've never gone to a specialty restaurant on any previous cruises).

Thanks in advance!

I've done a few solo trips, but none on NCL. I can answer a few comparison questions for you though since I have also sailed Dolphin, Princess, Carnival, and Celebrity and the Breakaway.

1) Nothing formal on NCL. Pack comfy casual. No set dinner time/place. Show up. Eat. Pretty simple.

2) I haven't stayed in a studio, but I've never heard complaints about storage. Seems like they are set up quite nicely. If you purchase a spa pass there is always the spa showers.

3) I typically book with ship excursions when I travel solo. Probably over-cautious, but I have piece of mind. Not sure about dolphin swim in Tortola, but that Baths in Virgin Gorda are pretty cool and I'd recommend them. You can do dolphin swims anytime (my favorite is Anthony Key in Roatan where the dolphins are treated a bit better).

4) I'd opt for spa pass. Nice quiet tranquil place for a solo. Although the Away ships have a terrible pool design with crowding, as a single you should be able to get a chair in the sun when you want sun on an upper deck without paying vibe.

5) Unfortunately, my experience was that it was necessary to book everything ahead of time on the Breakaway (I sailed in August also). This will avoid long lines in the show 'stand-by'. I really enjoyed rock of ages and burn the floor, totally worth the reservation process in my mind.

Hope that helps, my trip on the Getaway isn't solo, but I do love my solo trips as they bring extra me time. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!

I can help with two, there is no formal night, whole trip is casual. If you want to dress up some do. I would reserve all shows you want to see. If you just show up it seemed to me to be hit and miss. I did and it was easy. Have a great trip.

Hi all,

I'm new to NCL, but have been on 7 other cruises with Dolphin (!!), Carnival, Princess, & Celebrity. This will be my 2nd as a solo, with the other being on one of the cruises with Carnival, and that one was great (albeit 10 years ago).

Anyway, I have a few questions, if you'll indulge me... I'm sailing on the Getaway (Aug 8). I've read a bunch of threads but I'm looking for a bit more specific feedback.

1) Are there formal nights anymore, or is this a thing of the past? I'm trying to plan what to bring with me but only saw something about an optional dress up night, so I'm wondering if there are formal nights or if this took its place.

There is no proper formal night, basically they are entirely optional and at your discretion. Some people really enjoy them, and others could do without it and do. :)

2) Suggestions/tips/tricks for a studio cabin? I booked one, and it seems like a good deal, but the shower (size) has me a bit worried. Also seems to be a lack of storage, so if you've stayed in one, do you have any feedback?

Have never been in one, but have been on Getaway, and storage is usually found in odd places, like inside of what appears to be ottomans, drawers under sofas... etc.

3) Thoughts on Tortola vs. Blue Lagoon (Nassau) for a dolphin swim? Also, since I'm solo, I'm concerned about booking it separately vs. going on the ship's excursion. Would welcome input here.

In general, booking excursions outside the ship is no big deal... you just have to make sure you are aware of your time schedule. I would definitely try to schedule the dolphin encounters outside of the cruise line. Either place would be good, but I'd lean on Nassau as there are other things I like to do in Tortola.

4) Also seeking input on Spa Pass vs Vibe Pass vs nothing (no pass). When I did my previous solo cruise, I got into a little routine where I'd hit a lounger in the sun in the morning, lunch, find a quiet lounger in the shade in the afternoon, back to cabin to nap/shower, dinner, evening activities. It wasn't as structured as it sounds, but what was nice was that the afternoon was like a little getaway from all the hustle & bustle of the activity on the ship. I'm basically looking to relax and unwind. Will this be possible to do without resorting to a pass of some sort, or should I grab a pass, and if so, which one? I've read a lot about there being no shade up in Vibe, but then again the cost of the Spa Pass seems a bit much. Again, appreciate any input here.

If you do not have to be right close to the pool, go with your typical plan. You wouldn't need the spa or vibe pass. The chairs directly next to the pool area fill up fast, but you can get shady areas and other areas away from the noisy pool area quite easily.

5) As a solo, is it necessary to book the shows (Burn the Floor & Legally Blonde) in advance or do you think I'll be able to do it on board? Not sure I'll do any specialty restaurants, but I'll deal with that if the need arises (I've never gone to a specialty restaurant on any previous cruises).

Thanks in advance!

I would book the shows in advance only to have one less thing to worry about when on board. Takes just a minute and doesn't cost anything but can be a time saver on board.

Have a good trip!

I cruise NCL frequently, was on Getaway in May and can help you:

Hi all,

There are nights that are optional formal. Many do actually dress up primarily to have their photos made as there are photographers all over the ship on those nights. Others do not. I typically eat in the specialty restaurants, so I wear a maxi dress on those nights and blend right in. On other nights, it is all resort casual so I wear sundresses and maxi dresses.

There is a LOT of storage in a Studio cabin. The size is perfect for 1 person. Don't worry. The shower is the same size as all the other cabins. If you are really concerned, though, when you board, go straight to the spa (15 starboard) and buy a spa pass. The spa has the best showers on the whole ship in the changing rooms with a rain shower head and body sprays as well as the handheld and they are HUGE. There are also hair dryers in the spa and they provide plenty of clean towels and lockers. The spa also has a water circuit, sauna, sanarium, aromatherapy steam room, salt room, and heated tile loungers and padded loungers. There is a place in there to get complimentary fruit water or tea. This was my go-to place for most of my cruise on the Getaway - so peaceful and I just loved that water circuit. The best time to be in there was pulling into or out of port - what a magnificent view as the spa stretches across the entire front of the ship. I went every day!

Take the NCL Excursion from Tortola to The Baths on Virgin Gorda. It is a WOW! Look up The Baths on youtube and you'll see what I mean. It was the BEST tour we've ever taken in the Caribbean. Also, DO take anti-nausea medication (bonnie) before getting on the ferry as it can be rough going over to Virgin Gorda in the morning. Do the dolphin swim in Nassau - there isn't much else worth doing there anyway.

Spa Pass is, IMO the best option. Vibe is just a deck with a bunch of padded loungers where you pay extra for a clamshell cabana. H2O is a sun deck with a waterfall fountain you can sit in. Otherwise it is all in the sun. Vibe and H2O both have bars.

The concierge for the Studios arranges group dinners in the various restaurants including specialty restaurants so you never have to eat alone. Keep abreast of what is scheduled for Studio guests. It can be great! Yes you should book your shows in advance as they do sell out. Burn the Floor is the best show onboard. I didn't bother with Legally Blonde - I didn't like that movie, so I doubt I would enjoy the musical based on it. LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Just an aside about pre-booking. When I was on the EPIC I didn't prebook anything as I had booked the cruise 4 days before sail date. That being the case, I just showed up at the venue about 15 minutes early and never had a problem finding a single seat. If you really want to it Freestyle this is the best option.

I strongly agree that attend the solo meet ups every evening!! There will also be others wanting to get a group together for some of the upcharge restaurants.

The stuido cabins have a lot of storage! Suitcase under the bed and there are 2 sections of the closet to hang things and then there are lots of nooks to store things around the sink area.

Here all the doors are opened to show the storage space.

IMG_0009.jpg

Here the 2 hanging closet doors are opened (partly obscuring the tv/desk nook)

IMG_0012-1.jpg

I have been on The Getaway five times, four in s studio. Lots of storage available, never use it all. There is a Dress Up but only if you wish- second night of the cruise. I always book my excursions once I am on board and can talk with the staff. I don't waste the money on Spa or Vibe passes. Lots of quiet places to be alone if that is what you wish. I do not pre book shows either. Usually the Studio Lounge Attendant can make arrangements for dinners and shows so that you go in a group. Going solo must of the time you can just show up.

Relax and have a great cruise.

Thanks for all the replies. The pictures were great! I hadn't seen that much detail previously (it had appeared there were only upper shelves, but I'm glad there's more).

I'm stlll up in the air about the Vibe &/or Spa passes. More so the Spa pass, really. It seems like I'd be able to get a chair in the sun, otherwise. Spice H20 seems ok, too, since there aren't kids in that area. But I'm just not sure I want to plunk down $200 on the Spa pass, as tempting as it is. I'll keep pondering it - I've got a few days. :rolleyes:

Also appreciate the info on the shower. It was hard to tell the size from the pics.

As for the shows, I may just wait until I get on board since apparently those can be booked from the cabin or at the box office. I figure since I'm one person, there will be a decent shot of getting a seat, or maybe the solos will go as a group.

Thanks again for the feedback!